Booked on a California Coastal Cruise

momofmeg

I just returned from a California Coastal, but since I live in California we took a very laid back approach. However for Santa Barbara there were city buses waiting where we got off the tenders. The buses went up through the downtown area past upscale shopping and interesting buildings, with the ability to get off at many stops, and it was only 50 cents per person. They also had buses going to the zoo, if that interests you. The beach there is very nice, and they have a large pier with restaurants, shops, and a small museum. The ship has tours to wine country and the drive is really pretty.

San Diego has a hop on hop off bus that would allow you to see the city. Old town is one of the stops, it is a Mission era historical park, but the insides have many shops and restaurants. Balboa Park, another stop on the bus is beautiful with museums and plenty of activity. Or you can stay in the area of the ship and tour the Midway and walk down the ocean front to a nice shopping area.

Ensenada has a shuttle from the pier into town for a few dollars. Once at the shuttle stop you can purchase reduced price trips to the Blowhole, or just walk into town. The town isn't much to see, but if you have never been to Mexico you might enjoy walking around and stopping at one of the famous bars like Senior Frogs. The ships usually have wine tours, be sure you take the one that goes out to a couple of wineries. I took the one that was a winery and tour of the city one time and I was VERY disappointed.

It all depends on your interests, each of these stops have many options so if we knew more about you.

What should we do in the ports Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Ensenada? Anything we should espeically want to see? We live in Georgia so this is not a crusie we will repeat anytime soon. Ideas anyone?

Surprisingly tough for me to answer...since I've lived here virtually my entire life (used to live in Santa Barbara, now I'm 70 miles down the coast and for awhile had a beach house in La Jolla--near San Diego)...So, I have trouble thinking like a tourist in these ports...

But, let's try...

It really depends on what you like to do...there are so many options...

Santa Barbara:

Do you like to visit wineries? One of the world's great wine regions is the Santa Ynez Valley--just outside of Santa Barbara...It was the area featured in the movie "Sideways"...Also in that area is the very touristy little Danish town of Solvang--known for its bakeries and gift shops...In Santa Barbara itself, is the historic and beautiful Mission Santa Barbara, shopping along lower State Street, strolls along the waterfront of East Beach near Sterns Wharf...

There are several private tour companies in Santa Barbara that can customize a tour for you--which may be recommended if you've never been before and want to include a visit to the wineries--which are a little out of town over a very scenic mountain pass...

This one always comes highly recommended:

http://www.deetoursofsb.com/

San Diego:

San Diego always offers lots of options...Of course, there is the world famous San Diego Zoo and the museums in Balboa Park...There's "Old Town"...There are harbor cruise tours...There's the HOHO Trolley tour...North of San Diego, there is the San Diego Wild Animal Park...There are all sorts of activities available including hang gliding and hot air balloon rides (which constantly fly over my brother's house in Rancho Santa Fe!!)...Lots of golf courses

Again, depends on what you like to do...

Ensenada:

When we used to cruise down there more often, we started developing a pattern--we'd take the cruise line's offered Winery excursion--that got us out of town to the countryside of the Guadeloupe Valley to a couple of wineries for tours and wine tasting...then we'd let them drop us off in the center of town, go have Margaritas and Shrimp and Fish Tacos at "Papas and Beer"...then we'd walk back to the ship, shopping along the way...

Not much of the rest of Ensenada is all that thrilling in my opinion...A big attraction is La Bufadora (the "Blowhole")...It's actually just a rock formation on the beach south of town where the waves spray up through a hole in the rocks...The gauntlet of people trying to sell you stuff between the bus parking and the view of the blowhole is a little overwhelming ...and them the Bufadora is a bit disappointing...

So, for us, it's the wineries, then shopping for cheap junk in town--leather knock-off bags, cheap jewelry (Don't believe it when they tell you it's real silver), assorted other mementos...Oh, and I usually buy a bottle of Kahlua and a bottle of Anejo Tequila--great prices...but, beware if you're flying home after the cruise, you have to pack it (under your weight limits), you can no longer carry it on the plane!

Hope this helps...

Steve, my hubby will want to see that rock for sure in Ensenada. Yes, I know a lot of the stuff is junk, lving in GA we have been to Cozumel too many times to to remember (by cruiseship) and I figured Ensenada is not any better perhaps worse-lol!

This cruise is all about seeing California for me. My husband has been several times on business trips and once to see his sick aunt, (now passed) but me never. We chose the cruise out of San Francisco in order to see the redwoods (hubby has but he wants to again, me never of course so I am REALLY excited) and tour some wineries.

We have done the Caribbean WAAAY too much as it is close enough to drive to FL for us-so it is nice it is something new this time. Since we normally drive to FL also, we felt we could do the big splurge of flying across country. We have decided we should cruise less often so we can splurge occasionially to other areas besides the Carribean.

First, as to Scuba diving, I'm not really into it...BUT, from what I know, it pales, here in the Pacific, compared to the Caribbean...Currents come south from Alaska, so the water is colder...and that affects the types of fish and sealife you can see...and well as other factors...If your ship visits Catalina Island, there are some dive spots and providers there...

http://www.scubaluv.com/

http://www.catalinadiverssupply.com/

...And that area is popular with scuba divers...

If you don't visit Catalina, San Diego may be the choice:

http://www.scubasandiego.com/

Okay, more on Ensenada:

Ensenada is nothing like Cozumel or Cancun...

The heyday of Ensenada was way back during the Prohibition era in the US...

The rich and famous used to go down to Ensenada and Tijuana to drink and gamble...

The "Margarita" was "invented" in Ensenada at a very famous bar (still there) called Hussong's Cantina...by bartender Don Carlos Orozco...It was concocted for and named for Margarita Henkel, daughter of the German Ambassador to Mexico n the 30s and 40s...

The Caesar Salad, by the way, was invented in Tijuana...by Chef Caesar Cardinio of the Hotel Caesar on Avenida Revoluccion in 1924...

Anyway, back to Ensenada...

Despite being somewhat of a resort back in those days, today it is more of an industrial port city...

The cruise ships use it because of the Federal Law (often referred to as the Jones Act, though it's actually a corallary law to the Jones Act) which restricts foreign flagged ships from sailing only between US ports...

Ensenada has a large port facility, is foreign and doesn't require a large detour from the US...

Today, aside from the cruise traffic, the other major tourist business comes from young US spring-breakers and summer vacationers who head there because it's close and "somewhat" exotic...Papas and Beer, for example, is very popular with this set as the bar can get a bit wild at times...Note that there are two parts to Papas and Beer with separate entrances--upstairs is the wild, rowdy bar, downstairs is the more sedate eatery...Hussong's, across the street, is a much more sedate, adult bar--think strolling Mariachis (although beware of requesting a song--they will "expect" a very large tip...be prepared)...

The main street of Ensenada, in the downtown section, is lined with those small touristy shops full of assorted "souvenirs" that you do also find in places like Cozumel...knock-off purses, knock-off perfumes, unrestricted pharmaceuticals, liquor, t-shirts, etc.

You can either walk to and from the ship to Downtown or catch a shuttle...

If there's time before you're going (in other words, the cruise isn't next month), you can go on the websites for the cities of Santa Barbara and San Diego. There should be plenty of info, and I would imagine they have a brochure they can mail to you (or it's online). I know Ventura or Oxnard had mailed me one a few years ago, and these are largest cities. They have maps online that will be useful too. If you're into history, both cities have a mission (Steve, the other locals, and I have undoubtedly all been on that fourth grade field trip to the closest mission to us). These have been established a couple of centuries ago, and usually are kept up for tourists to tour.

Personally, I've been to Ensenada too many times (IMO, one time was plenty and that was pushing it). Including three Baja California cruises and three Hawaiian cruises (with that mandatory PVSA stop that Steve was talking about) as well as my pre-first-real-cruise cruise, which was an one-day rT from San Diego. We've been on the City tour that showed whatever sites there are, including the city hall (there's a history with Al Capone). Most of the time, we only got off the ship to go to the marketplace that's on the pier so that hubby can buy a trinket for his mother while she was alive. Our last two times, we treated the Ensenada day as a sea day as did about 90 per cent of the other passengers (not kidding).

Yes, it is still 6 months almost-Oct. 19. We booked 6 months to the day on our flight leaving for CA from GA.

I guess hubby will want to do a Carribbean again soon so he can scuba or at least snorkle-oh well. There are plenty of other things to do. I will no tmind, for sure.

so my hubby just discovered this coastal cruise as an option for an october vacation for us. It sounds very intriguing to us. about 6 years ago we left LA for the mexican riviera...it was in the spring and the water was quite choppy leaving and coming into LA port. Was this a spring trade winds thing only or can we expect the same rougher water/windy for this cruise as well?

October is the start of our Fire Season with the drying Santa Ana winds.

The weather pattern can be unpredictible.

Taken many cruises off the coast. In general no matter how smooth the water is southbound there will always be movement when going north.

Going north the ship is heading into the southbound current.

In Ensenada we do our own eating tour.

Taquiera Lindo next to Hussong's, the paleta place a few doors down. Had a great cantaloupe popsicles in Februaury and March.

On the main street El Charro (Hacienda) has great rotissiere chicken. Can't miss it as it has chicken cooking in the window.

Another place we eat at is Mesa de Don Fernando. Near the beginning of Ave Lopez/Ave Primera on the west side of the street. The molcajetes are very good and large enough to share.

We have never had a problem in Ensenada. Mom, Sis and I even walk the main street after dark.

Be careful of the sidewalks. Ave Lopez sidewalks are nice and smooth. Almost any other sidewalks are dangerous. Open utility boxes, etc. In February I almost walked into a basement stairwell.

The restaurants have clean bathrooms and so do the grocery stores- Calimex and Sonrisa. Throw ALL paper into the trashcan, not the toilet.

Do not give the beggar children any money. They and their families are being exploited.

so my hubby just discovered this coastal cruise as an option for an october vacation for us. It sounds very intriguing to us. about 6 years ago we left LA for the mexican riviera...it was in the spring and the water was quite choppy leaving and coming into LA port. Was this a spring trade winds thing only or can we expect the same rougher water/windy for this cruise as well?

The "rough seas" thing is often misunderstood...

Most people experience motion...and automatically assume that it's "rough seas"...

Most often, especially on Mexican Riviera cruises, it is not any rougher approaching Los Angeles than it is, say, between Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan...

The reason the motion becomes noticeable has more to do with the itinerary than the location...

Modern cruise ships are equipped with stabilizer systems--typically below water wings that spread out from the hull with small computer-adjusted engines that fire up to compensate the natural motion of the seas...

But, using these stabilizer systems also slows down the ship...

SO, on itineraries where the ship is going long distances (like making it from Cabo to LA), they will normally refrain from using the stabilizers...

Speeds up the ship, increases fuel efficiency...but it also renders the ship more responsive to the movement of the seas...The long legs of the Mexican Riviera itineraries are the initial leg down to the Mexican ports or the final leg going home...So it always SEEMS that leaving or approaching Los Angeles is the roughest part...

OTOH, the Pacific, as a whole, is a much larger and unprotected body of water than, say, the Caribbean or the Mediterranean, so there would always be a bit more movement...but the stabilizers in or out is really the much bigger factor here...

We are doing it from San Francisco as we wanted to spend time in that area post cruise.

Hubby was not impressed with the rock-I was wrong! after what you said, a good thing!

A group of us hired a van to the blowhole since we had all been to Ensenada many times. The van driver warned us about sewage in the water around the blowhole. When we arrived the blowhole was full of brown "suds" that the wind was blowing around. A couple in our group got into some windblown spray...that night they both had fevers and flu-like symptoms. Fortunately it was the end of our cruise and it was only an hour's drive home. They were OK a few days later.

A group of us hired a van to the blowhole since we had all been to Ensenada many times. The van driver warned us about sewage in the water around the blowhole. When we arrived the blowhole was full of brown "suds" that the wind was blowing around. A couple in our group got into some windblown spray...that night they both had fevers and flu-like symptoms. Fortunately it was the end of our cruise and it was only an hour's drive home. They were OK a few days later.

Another reason not to go see that-lol!

OTOH, the Pacific, as a whole, is a much larger and unprotected body of water than, say, the Caribbean or the Mediterranean, so there would always be a bit more movement...but the stabilizers in or out is really the much bigger factor here...

I'm really surprised that there is noticeable motion along the California Coast. The word Pacific means calm and I had always heard that there was less motion on the Pacific than on the Atlantic. I was looking forward to less ship movement.

Our Alaskan cruise had very little motion but all of the Caribbean cruises we've taken have had between some and a lot.

I'm really surprised that there is noticeable motion along the California Coast. The word Pacific means calm and I had always heard that there was less motion on the Pacific than on the Atlantic. I was looking forward to less ship movement.

Our Alaskan cruise had very little motion but all of the Caribbean cruises we've taken have had between some and a lot.

I guess it's time, again, for me toput on my Geography Professor hat...

The name "Pacific Ocean" has often been considered to be a misnomer...

OTOH, also consider that cilmate, roughness of the seas and other such things vary from one part of any ocean to another...

The Pacific Ocean was thus named, "Mar Pacifico" by explorer Ferdinand Magellan...Magellan entered the Pacific Ocean via the "Straits of Magellan" at the far southern tip of South America...The seas he found once sailing on the Pacific were, undoubtedly, far more peaceful than those he might have experienced crossing from the far Southern Atlantic and the Antarctic areas...There, he would have probably encountered stormy weather, high winds and rough seas...

Everything is relative...

Again, though, the motion you experience is usually far more a product of the speed of the ship and the use or non-use of the stabilizer systems than it is to do with where you are on the globe...

Another factor in the Caribbean would be if you are cruising during hurricane season--which could affect things drastically...

Alaska often feels quite calm since a large portion of where the ships go is within protected ocean--a large number of Islands flank the Alaskan coast...

The gulf side of the Carribean has a lot of movement. I have also crossed the northern Atlantic (Ireland to NJ, USA) and we did Bermuda from New York of the old Pacifc Princess (built in 1972) so I have felt movement before.

I do get sea sick sometimes though-so I will have plenty of ginger in my system and have bonine on hand as a back up. We got one of the lower balconies too-so that should help.

I guess it's time, again, for me toput on my Geography Professor hat...

The name "Pacific Ocean" has often been considered to be a misnomer...

OTOH, also consider that cilmate, roughness of the seas and other such things vary from one part of any ocean to another...

The Pacific Ocean was thus named, "Mar Pacifico" by explorer Ferdinand Magellan...Magellan entered the Pacific Ocean via the "Straits of Magellan" at the far southern tip of South America...The seas he found once sailing on the Pacific were, undoubtedly, far more peaceful than those he might have experienced crossing from the far Southern Atlantic and the Antarctic areas...There, he would have probably encountered stormy weather, high winds and rough seas...

Everything is relative...

Again, though, the motion you experience is usually far more a product of the speed of the ship and the use or non-use of the stabilizer systems than it is to do with where you are on the globe...

Another factor in the Caribbean would be if you are cruising during hurricane season--which could affect things drastically...

Alaska often feels quite calm since a large portion of where the ships go is within protected ocean--a large number of Islands flank the Alaskan coast...

I've read about that too, that the name Pacific is a bit off the mark. Our Alaskan cruise has been the only one that I've been comfortable booking a forward cabin (we were about as far forward as possible on that one).

Archived