Delayed flights ugh

dseres

Oh my! We haven't heard anything from JetBlue about our fight Friday night! Hope our flights aren't cancelled! We are getting in a day early so hopefully we will still make it.

We are leaving from Boston early Saturday (hopefully). I have received two e-mails from JetBlue warning of possible delays or cancellations, advising us to continue checking flight information.

Fingers crossed, we'll see you there! :)

Thankfully my family is either driving in to Tampa or flying in at least three days in advance to enjoy Florida before the cruise. If not I would be a total wreck that someone would miss the ship. Brides don't take well to added stress before a wedding!!! :eek::eek:

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

so glad I don't have to deal with airlines, baggage fees, cancellations, or delays on our next cruise, or the cruise after that, since we decided not to fly and cruise close to home. I'm done flying to ports, it's just too stressful and more expensive!!

I was so worried about booking my flight home too early from Fort Lauderdale that I rescheduled the whole itinerary for this coming weekend and was feeling better about not missing it. NOW I get notices from Jetblue saying due to the sequester or whatever to expect delays and/or cancellations! Cancellations really? Has anyone heard of this happening. I am so nervous now. I have insurance on the cruise, but really don't want to miss it wth?

I cruise Sunday out of Galveston, and I had to make a last-minute travel change yesterday, so I feel for you. It is gut-wrtenching when things happen this close to sail time, isn't it? Good luck to you! :)

All the more reasons to fly in a day or two early and/or fly out a day late. Better yet, drive to the port and you can control how long it takes you to get there.

I'd sure like to know how someone can "drive" all the way to San Juan. :rolleyes: And I know everyone keeps saying "just fly in the day before or a few days before" but that's simply not an option for some people.

For those of us who aren't able to fly in a few days in advance I suggest having a Plan B and a Plan C in place just in case (other flights, travel insurance, etc.) and a lot of prayer to whomever you pray to on the big day!

I'd also suggest booking the earlier flight possible which is what I did and we're leaving out of BWI at 8am and will arrive in San Juan around noon. We'll be up before the sun and at the airport by 6am, it's going to be a long day but it'll all be worth it once we step foot on the ship. :) Good luck everyone!

My son is an air traffic controller in California in the NORCAL facility which controls air space for San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose, etc. Since the sequester they are at minimum staff so they had to increase the minimums which means less planes per hour every hour. It's a ripple effect which may translate to possible ground holds for flights that could be leaving Philadelphia etc.

The same thing is happening in every FAA center/facility in the country and will without a doubt stress the system.

He said wait until summer with controller vacations, increased summer travel, and a few thunderstorms. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Vinnie

I'd sure like to know how someone can "drive" all the way to San Juan. :rolleyes: And I know everyone keeps saying "just fly in the day before or a few days before" but that's simply not an option for some people.

For those of us who aren't able to fly in a few days in advance I suggest having a Plan B and a Plan C in place just in case (other flights, travel insurance, etc.) and a lot of prayer to whomever you pray to on the big day!

I'd also suggest booking the earlier flight possible which is what I did and we're leaving out of BWI at 8am and will arrive in San Juan around noon. We'll be up before the sun and at the airport by 6am, it's going to be a long day but it'll all be worth it once we step foot on the ship. :) Good luck everyone!

What people do not realize if you are one of the unlucky passengers who's flight is canceled you go right to standby until rebooked.

Flying back out of Fort Lauderdale last year we got to the airport the airline had a flight canceled with a mechanical and had just recently changed the equipment on other flights to smaller jets. The agent said that some passengers would be there until Tuesday. Luckily our flight departed without a problem.

Vinnie

Who do we blame? Well, sequestration was the president's idea. And I agree with an earlier poster that a 2% reduction in future spending should have no impact on current spending. Leave it to politicians to make decisions that make no sense at all. :mad:

Heard this am on the news that the senate approved a deal to move some UNUSED money within the FAA budget into the part of the budget that pays the air traffic controllers. Going to congress for a vote later today.

So the question is, why was the unused money sitting around in the first place?

Yep.

It did affect airports and equipment.

One of the airports I flew into, Lancaster, PA, they are shutting down their tower. It's a 2-runway airport with small charter service. They have TSA desk and all. I flew in once as a private pilot, and I am not sure how they are getting rid of that tower. During my approach, I had 2 learjets land before me.

Also, they are shutting down some VOR stations. These are ground based radio transmitters that are used for navigation.

We just got off the Freedom a week ago on 4/20 using Airtran.

We were on time and arrived early from ATL to FLL the night before the cruise.

Coming home we flew through customs at port and we were at the airport at 8a for our 12noon flight. We were able to jump on to an earlier flight at 9:30a. We did have a couple of planes ahead of us to take off from FLL, had some turbulence flying over a cold front while at 35K feet. Circled once around the airport and still I think we were only 10 minutes late arriving at ATL.

I am flying in the day before from a small airport in Westchester, NY., so I guess that I will get there at some point in time for my cruise, of course my intention was to enjoy the whole day before in Fort Lauderdale. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies.

When I read the original post I was starting to worry about our flights as well. Yesterday we flew from Syracuse to Atlanta to Miami. Not one single delay to effect us. I realize some flights have been cancelled but I'd have to wonder just how full those flights were to begin with? Our flights were full yesterday. We arrived a few minutes early in Miami and spent the rest of the day exploring the area :) Don't sweat what you can't prevent :)

As a pilot, if a flight is cancelled, I don't fly. If I don't fly I don't make money. Needless to say, we have some very...interesting... names for the FAA. As long as you're flying in before then you should be fine. And even if it's the day of you should still be fine.

Archived