I am curious-has the "tarmac" rule been suspended?

greatam

If it hasn't, this could impact a lot of flights. There were reports out of LGA, ORD and ATL that some flights were held over 3 hours after pushback. I think our morning report said two in ORD were CANCELED and returned to the gate.

This could get REALLY nasty. Conflicting government laws sure could set the US public up for a dilly of a summer travel season. Those air beds for emergency purposes could be BIG sellers.

I don't know but this is not fun.

I'm getting ready to book our flights for our June cruise (we just booked today :eek:). I have access to two free tickets through work (availability is usually pretty limited) so I haven't booked anything yet while I see if those are available.

I also have a bunch of AA gift cards that I was planning on using, but I'm thinking of just paying out of pocket to get a non-stop on AirTran/Southwest. The extra money may be worth the peace of mind of not having to connect through a hub.

Hasn't happened yet. The airline groups are just asking the power who be to suspend it for the duration of the sequester.

For now, I'd be sure that you can be self-sufficient for hours. That's what I'm doing for next week. 2 large bottles of water and plenty of snacks. AND my battery back up for my iPad. No reason not to be prepared. I'll just hunker down in my seat, put on the noise-cancelling headphones, and mellow out. There's nothing I can do about it, so no reason to get all bent out of shape about it.

Hasn't happened yet. The airline groups are just asking the power who be to suspend it for the duration of the sequester.

Thanks for the clarification... I just read it too fast to see that it was only the airlines asking for the rule to be put aside during these 'times'. :o

another thing; some airlines are using the sequester as the reason for everything. So, you won't get a hotel or meal voucher (usually you only get those for a mechanical, anyway). That means that, if they cancel a flight "because of the sequester", you're on your own to find a place to sleep, and to find new flights. It's a good reason to have your airline's PHONE NUMBERS handy - get on the phone right away while you're standing in the line to see if you can get your flights fixed faster. If you can't, at least you are still in the line with those several hundred others...

A few days ago, there were some weather issues in NY, but pilots were still blaming the sequester.

Just prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. It's all you can do. No amount of whining to the airline or anyone at the airport is gonna help.

The Senate just tonight approved a bill that will let the FAA shift funds to end the furlough. The House will take it up, but if they don't get it done by 5pm tomorrow, it'll have to wait until they come back from their weeklong vacation.

So, it looks like there is some movement going on.

Actually what I read is they want at least a 90 day exemption, or for the duration of the sequester, whichever is longer. So if they get their 90 days and the sequester ends in 20 days, they have another 70 days to "play with." Just like the airlines :D

Archived