Documentation out of Vancouver

Lilstoagie

Hello, we are leaving in 2 weeks out of Vancouver for an Alaska cruise. We are taking my 4 year old daughter. My husband and I have passports, but she doesn't. We were told when we booked the cruise a year ago, that we only needed her birth certificate. Now, I went to check in and the system asks for her passport number, which obviously we don't have. I called NCL, and they told me to just put in a random number for the passport number to bypass it as she doesn't need it. I called again the next day just to be sure, and I got a different answer, that answer was that a passport was required. I have called a couple other times and they keep telling me that all I need is her birth certificate. I am getting conflicting information and I dont know who to believe. If I need to get her a passport, I need to do it ASAP on a rush. A passport is not required to gy by land or sea according to US/Canadian customs. I have scoured the Internet for any information, but it's all conflicting. We are driving into Vancouver, so we don't need one to get into Canada or back into the US, I just don't know what is going to happen whenwe go to board the ship. I don't want to get denied..... Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Kerrie

As a US citizen, she can cross into Canada by land with just her birth certificate. Here's a link to the Canadian requirements CBSA requirements

As a US citizen minor, she can get on the ship (return to the US) with just her birth certificate as well.US requirements

I would not just enter random numbers for the passport. That's just asking for trouble. What if you enter someone else's passport number? You can check in at the pier.

Well ...

The US Customs and Border Protection Website (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/session/L3NpZC9QREE3QUdvbA%3D%3D/search/1)

Is the definitive site for requirements to reenter the US... Assuming that your daughter is a US citizen, she will be OK with a certified official birth certificate for land and sea crossings between Canada and the US (being under age 16)..

Any one 16 and over MUST have a passport other other WHTI compliant document for land/sea entries from Canada to the US.

It wouldn't hurt to print out that page, and highlight the relevant portions. Then tuck it away in your carry on "just in case"

Aloha,

John

I would not just enter random numbers for the passport. That's just asking for trouble. What if you enter someone else's passport number?

Agreed, can you imagine? :eek: The odds are low that this would happen but I think this is very careless advice from NCL.

OP, have a good cruise, though. Alaska is beautiful. :)

Does the ship disembark in Canada or US?

The ship embarks and disembarks in Vancouver, Canada.... I have read on different websites that if it is R/T out of a foreign port then you have to have a passport. I think some cruise lines are different in what they require out of Canada...so it's very confusing.

The ship embarks and disembarks in Vancouver, Canada.... I have read on different websites that if it is R/T out of a foreign port then you have to have a passport. I think some cruise lines are different in what they require out of Canada...so it's very confusing.

According to US customs and border control, she does not need a passport. Unless the ship starts to drift off to Russia, she will not need a passport in either of the countries the ship visits.

Archived