Light Houses in October

Arizona-Cruising

Would like opinions on those who have done the New England cruise

Do you see light houses from ship while going in and out of ports? Or do you need to do a excursion to see the Light Houses?

We will be going out of New York for 7 day trip on Princess line.

Any excursions you would recommend for this also?

Thanks for your information.

I have not done the C/NE cruise, but I will offer what I know about the US ports of call that I am familiar with: Newport, RI and Bar Harbor, ME.

Newport:

As you approach the Rhode Island coast and Narragansett Bay, look for the Point Judith Light in the distance. It will be on the port side. To see it. good binoculars will be needed.

As you enter into the East Passage of Narragansett Bay and close to land, look for Castle Hill Light on the west side of Aquidneck Island on your starboard side. At about the same time, Beavertail Light on the southern tip of Conanicut Island will be on the port side.

Your best chance for visiting a lighthouse would be to book the Rose Island Lighthouse & Harbor Cruise (NPT 610) or you could try to do the tour DIY.

Bar Harbor:

For Bar Harbor, there are 2 companies that do lighthouse tours (that I am aware of):

Bar Harbor Tours

Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.

They visit 5 lighthouses: Baker Island, Bear Island, Egg Rock, Great Duck, Winter Harbor and the Little Cranberry Life Saving Station.

To see the approximate location of each lighthouse, you can see them on a map here. Click on each lighthouse on the map and you'll get pictures and history of the lighthouse.

An excursion from the cruise ship will be using one or the other of the tour companies for its excursion. The cruise ship excursion is Historic Lighthouses & National Park Tour by Boat (BHB-620).

I can't see the cruise ship getting as close to the lighthouses as a tour boat will. It may get close to 1 or 2 but not 5 like the excursion (ship or DIY) will do.

To me, it comes down to how you answer this question – will you be happy seeing the lighthouses with binoculars or do you want to see them as close as possible, and how many do you really want to see?

For Canadian Ports of Call on your cruise, post your question to the Canadian Ports of Call forum

SBtS

Arizona-Cruising,

In Arcadia I would highly recommend taking an excursion that takes you to Ardcadia National Park. It is a very pretty park you will get to see very lush landscape and have very nice views.

In Newport, I would recommend taking a tour of the Breakers Mansion which is one of several nice mansions in this town. Also spend a few hours in this charming town and consider having lunch in port.

Keith

I have not done the C/NE cruise, but I will offer what I know about the US ports of call that I am familiar with: Newport, RI and Bar Harbor, ME.

Newport:

As you approach the Rhode Island coast and Narragansett Bay, look for the Point Judith Light in the distance. It will be on the port side. To see it. good binoculars will be needed.

As you enter into the East Passage of Narragansett Bay and close to land, look for Castle Hill Light on the west side of Aquidneck Island on your starboard side. At about the same time, Beavertail Light on the southern tip of Conanicut Island will be on the port side.

Your best chance for visiting a lighthouse would be to book the Rose Island Lighthouse & Harbor Cruise (NPT 610) or you could try to do the tour DIY.

Bar Harbor:

For Bar Harbor, there are 2 companies that do lighthouse tours (that I am aware of):

Bar Harbor Tours

Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.

They visit 5 lighthouses: Baker Island, Bear Island, Egg Rock, Great Duck, Winter Harbor and the Little Cranberry Life Saving Station.

To see the approximate location of each lighthouse, you can see them on a map here. Click on each lighthouse on the map and you'll get pictures and history of the lighthouse.

An excursion from the cruise ship will be using one or the other of the tour companies for its excursion. The cruise ship excursion is Historic Lighthouses & National Park Tour by Boat (BHB-620).

I can't see the cruise ship getting as close to the lighthouses as a tour boat will. It may get close to 1 or 2 but not 5 like the excursion (ship or DIY) will do.

To me, it comes down to how you answer this question – will you be happy seeing the lighthouses with binoculars or do you want to see them as close as possible, and how many do you really want to see?

For Canadian Ports of Call on your cruise, post your question to the Canadian Ports of Call forum

SBtS

Thanks for the awesome information, we will be there in October and are starting to look for excursions and this looks like a must!!

Thanks for the awesome information, we will be there in October and are starting to look for excursions and this looks like a must!!

Looks like we are on the same cruise!

Aside from eating, Ive been trying to figure out what to do. Lighthouses seem to be a neat thing. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like we are on the same cruise!

Aside from eating, Ive been trying to figure out what to do. Lighthouses seem to be a neat thing. Thanks for the info.

Ikirumata,

Come by our Roll Call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1636110

It's a little quiet right now, but I expect things will liven up once we get closer to our cruise date.

Arizona-Cruising,

In Arcadia I would highly recommend taking an excursion that takes you to Ardcadia National Park. It is a very pretty park you will get to see very lush landscape and have very nice views.

In Newport, I would recommend taking a tour of the Breakers Mansion which is one of several nice mansions in this town. Also spend a few hours in this charming town and consider having lunch in port.

Keith

In Bar Harbor, you can take the FREE bus to Arcadia, $5.00/person admission to the park. You catch the bus on the Village Green which takes you to the Visitors Center. Then you can travel throughout the park at your own pace. Much cheaper and more relaxed than an organized tour.

Kathy

In Bar Harbor, you can take the FREE bus to Arcadia, $5.00/person admission to the park. You catch the bus on the Village Green which takes you to the Visitors Center. Then you can travel throughout the park at your own pace. Much cheaper and more relaxed than an organized tour.

Kathy

I agree with you about using the Island Explorer (free bus) to see Acadia; but for the OP, IE has stopped running by the time she has arrived and IE does not go to the summit of Cadillac Mountain.

SBtS

Archived