~~~ To All the Chair HOGS !!!

George8211

Tinsel57,

I could not agree with your sentiments more.......Except......

As a parent, I "DO" car when my kids misbehave, talk back, scream or are disrespectful to others. But, unlike when I grew up, we, as parents, are not allowed to smack them silly when this happens. The schools actually teach the kids to call the police if you even threaten to spank them.

It's a very, very sad thing to not be able to correct your kids withour fear of going to jail. I don't mean beating them bloody, I mean little whack on the behind to embarass them and help them remember it's NOT acceptable to behave poorly.

I think every parent from the "old" days, will remember how well it worked for us.

OK.... just wait.... someone will feel compelled to chime in and say we should put our kids in "Time Out". HA !

Pretty soon we will be having 'Cruise Lounge Chair Rage' :(

Been there, saw that....in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. Quite the fight between the "chair hogs" and the "claims jumpers". Escalated from name-calling to shoving to punching and hair-pulling. Security waded in and ejected both groups. Alcohol was definitely a factor.

this seems like such a simple problem. But then again, I have NEVER looked for a chair around the pool. It would seem that the cruise lines need folks on the pool deck between 6-8 am saying that you can't leave your stuff, even for 5 minutes, if you aren't ready to occupy the chair. Sure folks would be mad, but they would also either stay or take their things. If nobody left anything on their chair, ANYTIME they were not in it, there would always be seats available. Yes, I understand you must go to the bathroom...while you are there, someone else can sit...when you get back....you can wait for the next person to go to the bathroom...you might even buy them a foo-foo drink...and help them on their way :D

• 4 months later...

Maybe you misunderstood Mrs. Pete...I get my ass out of bed early, get myself a chair and go back to sleep there...If getting a chair is impt. then I suggest you do the same...or deal w/ the consequences...but before you think you are going to throw MY stuff in the trash?? LOL I suggest you think again...Maybe go on a diffent type of vacation if these little things annoy you so much...Jeez your in the Caribbean!! Get over it!

Maybe you misunderstood Mrs. Pete...I get my ass out of bed early, get myself a chair and go back to sleep there...If getting a chair is impt. then I suggest you do the same...or deal w/ the consequences...but before you think you are going to throw MY stuff in the trash?? LOL I suggest you think again...Maybe go on a diffent type of vacation if these little things annoy you so much...Jeez your in the Caribbean!! Get over it!

Cranival has always had a rule, of Not saving saving deck chairs. When you spend all day a sea... not having a deck chair and seeing 30 unused chairs with books on them sucks. These people are rude animals... they should go back to the zoo that they came from.

Fortunately, on my last cruise I didn't need to throw anything over board. As I informed the deck crew of people breaking the deck chair rules... The crew collected the belonging off the chairs and placed them in lost in found. If these people can't follow the rules... they should be banned from attending cruises with the respectful, responsible vacationing people.

If this happens to us we'll just throw thier things into the pool and sit in their chairs:D

While hogging chairs is certainly RUDE, throwing peoples things overboard, in the pool, or in the trash is FAR WORSE. :eek: This type of behavior is beyond RUDE!!!!! If you're prepared to act this way then you should be prepared to pay for the owners belongings!!!

I think the 30min rule is fair and then just place the belongings on the deck or give them to an attendant.

Sandie

It's nice to see Carnival enforcing the rules. In society, when the organizations responsible to enforce rules/laws, fail to do so. People tend to take the laws into their own hands. Often, those situations tend to go overboard... just like people's belongings on deck chairs :p

I haven't thrown anything overboard, not even a gum wrapper. It's far better to let the owners of their belongs lose a couple of hours of their vacation trying to find the lost & found box... then find their things.

It was kinda funny watching one of the moms complain about the crew removing her belongings after about an hour. Then one of the people sitting next to her chair says "What about the persons vacation your recking you selfish SOB"... lol

Do you lose the chair if you have to go potty or will the attendents babysit the chair for you. Last cruise in February there was lots of hogs but we just moved on where there was no pool and sunbathed there. I was a little disapointed though but never even thought of removing someones things or complaining...this cruise might be different. I want at least one day around the pool!

It was kinda funny watching one of the moms complain about the crew removing her belongings after about an hour. Then one of the people sitting next to her chair says "What about the persons vacation your recking you selfish SOB"... lol

Two wrongs don't make a right

Everybody seems to agree with the thirty minute rule. So wouldn't it take a lot of the discord away if all chairs were attatched with small timers, these could be set when leaving the chair giving 30 minutes for people to do what they want. When the timer reaches 0 then that allows for their belongings to be removed. Surely no one could argue with that. :)

Middy.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I suspect I will be flamed so......

I haven't even been on my first cruise yet and this topic scared the doo doo out of me!!! My goodness, it seems there are a lot of VERY unhappy people on cruises. Getting so worked up over a deck chair to the point they would throw someones belongings away/overboard etc seems pretty extrememe to me.

Now granted I don't think someone should reserve a chair at 6:00 am and not return until noon. I also don't think anyone (cruise passenger) has a right to decide what is an exceptable "time limit" to be away from said chair EXCEPT the cruise line/employees (let THEM determine what is acceptable and the course of action which needs to be taken).

NO I will not HOG a deck chair but I really feel I have the right to leave my chair for more than 30 minutes ( to pee, run to stateroom etc) and return back without some freaked out passenger going ballistic on me. Goodness. Beth4652 was right. Two wrongs DO NOT make a right.

Ya'll are screaming about being rude, inconsiderate etc. I think throwing someone elses personal belongins away/overboard etc. is worse than chair hogging. Maybe just maybe there was a reasonable explanation why that person was away longer that you felt was deemed acceptable???

ok so thats my two cents and I am sure I will get flamed from down under for my POINT OF VIEW. It seems that if anyone has a different opinion about this topic then they are verbally attacked. Didn't a poster ASK for a self proclaimed chair hog to speak up????? Then when she did you all bashed, beat and scorned her up and down.

Chair hogging is just plain rude and selfish behavior. Your cabin does not come with a deck chair. There are 2,000 people on a large ship. There is not space for 2,000 deck chairs. Don't you think that everyone on the ship deserves the chance to lie out on the deck? If you save a deck chair all day, then you're taking away someone else's chance to lie out. It's not right.

That said, geez people, don't throw people's things overboard or in the pool or trash! That's even more rude than chair-hogging, so why do it? Just give the items to an attendant for the lost-and-found, or simply put them on the deck. Why lower yourself to their level?

I totally agree MisfitCruiser. I think it is rude and selfish to claim a chair for hours and hours without being used.

I do wonder for those with children, say your kids are in the pool, do you make them get out of the pool every 30 minutes and sit in the chair for 5 so you can say THEY are not chair hogs ?? I am sure there would be some pretty upset parents out there if someone came by and said " hey your kid was in the pool for 35 minutes, that chair is now mine"...

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I suspect I will be flamed so......

Ya'll are screaming about being rude, inconsiderate etc. I think throwing someone elses personal belongins away/overboard etc. is worse than chair hogging.

It seems that if anyone has a different opinion about this topic then they are verbally attacked. Didn't a poster ASK for a self proclaimed chair hog to speak up????? Then when she did you all bashed, beat and scorned her up and down.

Welcome to the board!! :D

Light up a smoke.....hog a chair.....don't dress up on "formal night".....God forbid you should use a walkie-talkie......:eek: I'm sure some of these posters would want to re-instate "keel-hauling" for any of the above infractions.... ;)

Thankfully, 99% of this is all "talk" and no action. It's easy to type away about how you'd throw peoples belongings overboard, but I seriously doubt that most people would have the "huevos" to actually do it. :rolleyes:

Heres the deal on getting a chair. In 5 minutes or less!

Use your brain power to determine what looks like a chair being used and a chair being saved.

A chair being used has stuff under the chair, stuff on the chair and most likely a towel that looks like it's been used or being used.

A chair being saved has a fresh un-used towel and maybe a book lying on top. (or an empty beach bag, a pair of flip flops etc...) There are no personal items (worth any value) anywhere to be found.

When I arrive upon a chair being saved I sit down and make myself at home. If the towel is still rolled up; I use it. I might even read the book if it seems interesting. If not I will place the book somewhere...anywhere because I don't care. If someone does approach me I will just look at them and shrug my shoulders. I did have a couple that came back 3 1/2 hours later wanting their 4 chairs. They yelled and tried to fight with me. I just said "Yeah, whatever....Get a life"

..that just reinforces my observations that all the worst of the worst types hang around the pool. So, hog all you want, you're not taking a thing from me.

If the kids 'need' to be in the pool all day, I fail to see what's so horrible if I had to sit on a towel near enough to the pool. I sit on a towel on the ground at the beach, I'm thinking my bum wouldn't care if it was on a deck. And furthermore, I wouldn't (couldn't) spend the day there, kids or no. They'd have to come along with my fun evenually. So again, chair hoggers and the people in the battle, report them, move their stuff, but my suggestion? Get away from the pool and the creeps it attracks.

When I arrive upon a chair being saved I sit down and make myself at home. If the towel is still rolled up; I use it. I might even read the book if it seems interesting. If not I will place the book somewhere...anywhere because I don't care

Hmm, so how do you know if someone had just laid there stuff down and had to say use the restroom or something in that nature?

I really don't understand why a deck chair or the lack there of could ruin someones entire vacation?

I wonder if at dinner when someone orders more than one entree, appetizer,soup,salad or desert, if that person ever thinks about the other passengers who might not be able to order those particular items because the kitchen "ran out". Diners who think it is "their right" to order as many items possible could also be thought of as rude and inconsiderate.

I realize I am in the minority here but geesh folks don't you think throwing a tantrum about a deck chair is kinda silly?

JMHO

I don't understand...you have some people that will take peoples stuff off of the pool chairs... then do the other people just stand in the hot sun waiting half an hour to forty five minutes waiting to grab a chair they think is not being used. If the ship is big and you want to go back to your cabin to get something like meds it can take half an hour to get there and back or a bit longer if you stop to order a bite to eat. I think the cruise lines should figure out a solution and that would help a lot of angry people out. Myself...I do not want to go on my vacation thinking I am going to fight over a chair...when in fact I am going to get away from road rage and unhappy people in general.

On one of my cruises we were sitting on the aft deck and a woman took a whole bunch of the silverware wrapped up in napkins and stuck them thru the webbing on the lounges on the aft deck. I think there were about 12 of them.

As soon as she left the waiter went out and retreived them. Imagine she was surprised when she came back to find them occupied.

Honestly, I don't sit in the sun for too long due to the harmful effects of the sun! When a chair has been saved, (you usually can tell by the amount of wet stuff , what chairs are really in use) I merely sit in it, carefully placing the person's things nearby and I am prepared to get up if they return. It has never happened that someone came back before I was ready to leave. I don't like the 30 minute rule. I did read that some cruise ships enforce no saving policy.

okay, how about if they assign your chair? In other words, the people who get on first can stake it out for the voyage, or reserve it with your ticket. No one is grumpy and if someone is in the chair when you get there, they have to leave, words unspoken. No fuss, no anger, smooth sailing. :D

Archived