Mini Review of the Jewel of the Seas

Mini review of a 5 day cruise out of Tampa end of April. We had Jr. Suite port towards aft on deck 10 and I will tell you it was noisy. Think we were right under the Windjammer and boy we really heard them rolling those carts all times of day and night. Although we usually sleep very soundly on cruises but we were awoke one night, probably about 3:00 a.m. Sounded like rolling thunder! Loved the Jr. Suite however, and thought the size was great. This is our 14th cruise so we're familiar with the quality of food to expect. We thought the food was very good, even had lobster one night that was pretty good. Ate at Chops one night, food and service was excellent. Note that they no longer let you take your dessert to go to your cabin. Arghhhh! Had to force down a few bites of the decadent red velvet cake. Entertainment was great, almost didn't go to see the pianist but VERY glad we as he was excellent! Been on Oasis and Allure but very happy with smaller ship as it was very easy to maneuver around and easy to get to your cabin any time of the day. Our stateroom attendant was fantastic, all service we encountered on this ship was excellent. We were called to the naughty room but it was because of my stainless steel french press. They said it was ok as long as it doesn't have a cord. (We did have a half full rum runner in the bag also that was used for our Orlando pre-cruise vacation and it was not detected. No lectures please!) Despite the noisy cabin, our experience was great and we would highly recommend this ship.

Going on Jewel in Dec.... Biggesst ship probably HAL Eurodam

what did you mean by:

very happy with smaller ship as it was very easy to maneuver around and easy to get to your cabin any time of the day

If we ever try the gargantuan ships - you can't get to your cabin easy because of distance?

Thanks! And I think will put Chops on the List!

I focused on that comment, too. But I think that will be a good thing for us. We have an aft cabin on our Jewel cruise. I noticed on the deck plan that the stairs are only 4 or 5 cabins away. Very different than the Navigator. We weren't bothered at all by it, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to a shorter walk.

Thanks for the mini review!

I focused on that comment, too. But I think that will be a good thing for us. We have an aft cabin on our Jewel cruise. I noticed on the deck plan that the stairs are only 4 or 5 cabins away. Very different than the Navigator. We weren't bothered at all by it, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to a shorter walk.

Thanks for the mini review!

Those first set of stairs you are seeing are service stairs. You will have to go to just short of where the elevators are to get to stairs.

Ate at Chops one night, food and service was excellent. Note that they no longer let you take your dessert to go to your cabin. Arghhhh! Had to force down a few bites of the decadent red velvet cake.

Why would they not let you take the red velvet cake? I did in March on Freedom and I fully expected to on Jewel the week after next. They will have an argument from me if they say no. Would they really stop me from walking out with the desert plate? :eek:

Hello all, to answer your two questions:

1. My comment regarding size of ship was comparing it to the two gargantuan ships, Alure and Oasis we went on last year. Loved the big ship but such a looooong walk to your cabin. Very easy to maneuver around the ship quickly. Found needing a rest room frankly and it was closer to go back to the cabin, hence the comment.

2. Red Velvet cake: Was so stuffed from dinner, although I TRIED not to eat so much, had heard so much about the red velvet cake and asked the waiter if I could take it back to our cabin. He said no, sorry, they stopped doing that because they could not control the temperature of the product so they stopped allowing that. (Not sure why a cake product couldn't be room temp???) I guess I could have bullied my way out of the restaurant with my bounty but really not that kind of gal. The cake was delish by the way!!

Why would they not let you take the red velvet cake? I did in March on Freedom and I fully expected to on Jewel the week after next. They will have an argument from me if they say no. Would they really stop me from walking out with the desert plate? :eek:

One of the Chops waiters who was also working in the CL mornings on Jewel told me the desserts were the main reason that Chops costs more than Portofino. The Portofino desserts are made onboard and the Chops desserts are purchased from a vendor. So maybe by filling people up with bread and sides they are saving money. Not that I'm a cynic or anything....:rolleyes:

One of the Chops waiters who was also working in the CL mornings on Jewel told me the desserts were the main reason that Chops costs more than Portofino. The Portofino desserts are made onboard and the Chops desserts are purchased from a vendor. So maybe by filling people up with bread and sides they are saving money. Not that I'm a cynic or anything....:rolleyes:

lol :D

So, that's why the red velvet cake is so good! I will just announce that I am taking it with me - I will not ask. I'm not usually a combative person, but the red velvet cake is amazing. I've been on weight watchers for 3 months now and am down about 22 pounds. The ONLY desert I ate on Freedom in March was the red velvet. I savored it over two nights and it kept fine in the fridge in the room. I'll not be taking no for an answer :)

Even with the cake, I ended up losing 3 pounds over my two week vacation that included the cruise. Between the stairs and the gym and watching what I ate for breakfast and lunch it was easy. I ate what I wanted for dinners.

Archived