Carnival Valor Review: 4/28 sailing from Puerto Rico

JennN

Hey Jenn! I'm a Jenn also :) I am enjoying your review! I will be on this itin. in two weeks with my bf four our birthdays. We have a few days in PR pre-cruise too!

We have room 2470 on this ship. I was just wondering on a scale of 1-10 how bad the noise is? I am a light sleeper but an early riser (7,730ish). Usually with a fan on, I won't here any external noise but I don't know if we will be able to get a fan or not.

Thanks for your help!

POST CRUISE - CARIBE HILTON

We're on leg three of our vacation now and while we were sad to leave the Valor, we were also looking forward to doing NOTHING. The 5 ports were go-go-go all the time so getting to do nothing was exciting. We were also looking forward to being at the home of where the Pina Colada originated (come to find out, there was another place in OSJ that claimed the same thing).

We got to the hotel before noon and our rooms were ready. Sadly, MIL was in a garden view room but because we needed a feather free room (which they didn't do until 12 hours later in spite of repeated requests), we had an ocean view room (with a view of the Conrad in fact).

262551_10152794287015015_242419967_n.jpg

We also unpacked our liquor (not shown are two more bottles DW insisted on buying at the airport, duty-free):

21137_10152798395735015_1018333387_n.jpg

Having checked in on a Sunday, the hotel was super busy. And frankly, super dirty. The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned all weekend (band-aids floating in the water and garbage by the pool). It also only had one pool - with lots of kids and lots of people by it. We hit the Pina Colada Club for lunch (fish tacos were tasty and the Pina Colada, as we'd come to find out, was the best we'd get on site). Then we went back to the room to change into bathing suits and brave the icky water. A storm hit (the story of the next few days) and we were forced inside to try the infamous Pina made by the hotel. $60, yes $60 for 3 pinas later and we sat sorely disappointed - by the rain and by the pinas.

We decided to change and eat dinner at the hotel - not wanting to spend another $30 roundtrip into OSJ and tried the trattoria. It was fine, nothing to write home about and of course, pricey.

The hotel did have a neat little dock to look at fish and we went out after an early dinner to do just that:

601752_10152798396210015_45548904_n.jpg

View of the hotel from the pier/dock thing:

945962_10152798396395015_1464830752_n.jpg

We called it an early night (though for us, we had to wait another two hours before we got someone to come de-feather the room) and hoped for good slumber. Which we sadly didn't get as our bodies were up super early.

Hey Jenn! I'm a Jenn also :) I am enjoying your review! I will be on this itin. in two weeks with my bf four our birthdays. We have a few days in PR pre-cruise too!

We have room 2470 on this ship. I was just wondering on a scale of 1-10 how bad the noise is? I am a light sleeper but an early riser (7,730ish). Usually with a fan on, I won't here any external noise but I don't know if we will be able to get a fan or not.

Thanks for your help!

My wife (who is a sound sleeper but also likes white noise) gives it a 5. I myself give it a 7.5 or an 8. It's a combination of the noise and vibration for me. While I have a hard time in general sleeping, once the ship started making noise, I was wide awake. I don't think a fan will mask this type of noise. I like to sleep until 9a usually while DW is a morning person (6 or 7a) but we were both woken up before our time. Not a huge deal but still slightly annoying. She doesn't think though that it made any more noise than being aft on any other ship (I disagree a bit).

Edited by JennN

Thanks for the review and the photos! Our group...The Golden Girls Gone Wild..is doing this cruise in June! Sounds like we should prepare for hot hot hot weather.

Holy melting Batman! If it was like this in May, I can't imagine what it will be like next month!

253251_10152788963200015_1976435651_n.jpg

I guess I wound up doing the whole review in one felt swoop!

Our last full day in PR was better. It looked like we were up at 8a. DW and her mom decided to brave the heat and go tour St. Cristobal (one of the forts in OSJ). I decided to lie by the pool - which was all cleaned! DW and MIL had a good time but sweat bullets - and got some great photos

197755_10152798398835015_387431505_n.jpg

262440_10152798398300015_1273925068_n.jpg

While my shot was just as pretty!

934793_10152798398885015_1014082459_n.jpg

It wound up storming a few hours later so we decided to change and head into OSJ for dinner at Barrachina - the other home of the pina colada. While I didn't love it (too icy for me), it was loads stronger and better than at the hotel. The food was excellent too (mofungo again!):

397951_10152798399630015_2020784654_n.jpg

We hit a few shops in OSJ for souvenirs and eventually headed back to the hotel around 9p. One thing to mention about the Caribe - the "garden" rooms? Well they have a very unkept looking coy pond and animals (hen, rooster, turkey, goose and peacocks) just walking around back there. Creeped me out!

Last day my MIL left early and we hit Starbucks again for a cheapish breakfast before heading to the pool to get a few last drops of sun in

936107_10152798401160015_58214634_n.jpg

We couldn't decide if we should shower and check out or check out, go back to the pool and shower in their locker rooms but the rain hit again and made the decision easy for us. We re-packed up, then headed back to the Pina Colada Club for lunch (a 2 hour lunch to delay us from getting to the airport too early...although we knew we would have to reallocate weight in our suitcases and that would take time).

Knowing it was my last pina colada of the trip made this one taste sweeter than all the rest!

308687_10152794893105015_902188511_n.jpg

We went to the airport, took the time to reallocate (we were 4 pounds over) and headed to the USDA checkpoint. Which was odd to us seeing as how technically we were still in the US. After that, we went to check in and went to duty-free (again something I didn't know we could do considering we were already in the US technically but we could) for more rum. The Jet Blue terminal had NOTHING but a hot dog cart, a gelato place and a sit down restaurant to eat but nowhere for snack/magazines/gum.

Thanks for making it all the way through this. I am happy to answer questions (and will get to more shots of each of the hotels tonight).

My wife (who is a sound sleeper but also likes white noise) gives it a 5. I myself give it a 7.5 or an 8. It's a combination of the noise and vibration for me. While I have a hard time in general sleeping, once the ship started making noise, I was wide awake. I don't think a fan will mask this type of noise. I like to sleep until 9a usually while DW is a morning person (6 or 7a) but we were both woken up before our time. Not a huge deal but still slightly annoying. She doesn't think though that it made any more noise than being aft on any other ship (I disagree a bit).

Okay, thanks for your help! I am like you - once I am up, I am up. I will keep this in mind and try and head to bed early a few nights :)

Hi all!

We stayed at the Conrad Condado. And we LOVED it. While our room wasn't quite ready, we got to visit the grounds and eat lunch and the views were breathtaking. The food was VERY expensive the entire time we stayed in PR, and the hotel was no exception. But where else could you get these kinds of views?

We were in awe. Our rooms though actually overlooked the lagoon. We booked with Priceline for about $130/night (not including the $18 or so resort fee). You never can tell with Priceline rooms - sometimes they give you a dumpy one but aside from a stale odor, our view was amazing (we also didn't get a king bed but two doubles)!

I stayed in the same hotel last year, but I was on the other side for the Ocean view rooms. Was your side noisy? I was told that side was usually loud because of the lagoon. And you got a good deal on the hotel. I also see your set up was different too. Our safe was in the bathroom...along with the closets.

Awesome , another valor review :) did this itinerary on the Victory last year and I am doing it again this October on the Valor

You were on Victory one week prior to me; so when you were getting off, I was getting on. I'm doing the same itinerary in July!

Great review!

One of my favorite things about Valor is Rosie the Riveter overlooking the grand buffet. I also like the Americana theming around the ship. I wish Valor had been in San Juan last year when we did that itinerary (although Victory was a great ship as well).

I stayed in the same hotel last year' date=' but I was on the other side for the Ocean view rooms. Was your side noisy? I was told that side was usually loud because of the lagoon. And you got a good deal on the hotel. I also see your set up was different too. Our safe was in the bathroom...along with the closets.[/quote']

Nope, it was quite quiet. Our room was the start of what was obviously the "newer" side of things. I don't know if you can tell that from this picture but the left side rooms are older and the right (the six or so rooms), newer. We were that first angled balcony on the 8th floor. Smelled musty though my MIL was a few doors down and her room was bigger and no smell!

263102_10152798290750015_859571727_n.jpg

Great review!

One of my favorite things about Valor is Rosie the Riveter overlooking the grand buffet. I also like the Americana theming around the ship. I wish Valor had been in San Juan last year when we did that itinerary (although Victory was a great ship as well).

We loved Rosie too. I have a pic of her somewhere...will post that later too. I just didn't get who some of the people were lining the 2nd floor's hallways...I would rather a more Caribbean feel to the ship versus Americana but I also thought it was neat to not be the status quo. You know?

Great review Jenn!

I loved reliving my Valor cruise through your eyes. It looks like you 3 had a blast! :D

I sat here chuckling at you saying you're glad you didn't do any hiking in St. Lucia or St. Kitts. I hiked the Gros Piton in St. Lucia. :eek: Believe me, you made the right decision!

Also, I've stayed at the Caribe Hilton many times when traveling for work. I think you got gypped paying $20 for a pina colada! I usually wait til their happy hour from 4-6 pm when you can get a pina colada with the local Don Q rum for $6. I usually eat at the Pina Colada Club too, since it's the cheapest restaurant onsite, and I think it was $10 or so for one in there. I can't believe they charged you as much as they did. :rolleyes:

Random off topic question- were you on House Hunters (asking because of your bandana).

Thanks again for the review!

Great review Jenn!

I loved reliving my Valor cruise through your eyes. It looks like you 3 had a blast! :D

I sat here chuckling at you saying you're glad you didn't do any hiking in St. Lucia or St. Kitts. I hiked the Gros Piton in St. Lucia. :eek: Believe me, you made the right decision!

Also, I've stayed at the Caribe Hilton many times when traveling for work. I think you got gypped paying $20 for a pina colada! I usually wait til their happy hour from 4-6 pm when you can get a pina colada with the local Don Q rum for $6. I usually eat at the Pina Colada Club too, since it's the cheapest restaurant onsite, and I think it was $10 or so for one in there. I can't believe they charged you as much as they did. :rolleyes:

Random off topic question- were you on House Hunters (asking because of your bandana).

Thanks again for the review!

Thanks for the reply! It was around 2p when we went and while the glass was larger than your typical 12 oz., it wasn't yummy (in fact, I went up to my room and got additional coconut rum to put into it!). We would up getting two bottles of Don Q at the airport :p

I wasn't on HH but they have a travel contest right now which runs through the end of the year. You can submit a photo a month of you wearing the bandana (they send it for free) somewhere that's a landmark and they pick a few for prizes. I only remembered it once on this cruise though so it will have to wait until our December cruise!

Thanks for your nice photo review. The Fish N Chips has been on the Valor since it was built, so it wasn't replaced by the nasty pasta bar, which is on the last cruise ships Carnival's built, Breeze and Magic, so I'm guessing you experienced the nasty pasta bar, Cucina del Capitano on the Breeze. Why did you think it was nasty? :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

Thanks for the reply! It was around 2p when we went and while the glass was larger than your typical 12 oz., it wasn't yummy (in fact, I went up to my room and got additional coconut rum to put into it!). We would up getting two bottles of Don Q at the airport :p

I wasn't on HH but they have a travel contest right now which runs through the end of the year. You can submit a photo a month of you wearing the bandana (they send it for free) somewhere that's a landmark and they pick a few for prizes. I only remembered it once on this cruise though so it will have to wait until our December cruise!

What's the name of the contest and how do I get the bandanna?

And you don't like Denny's do you? There was a Denny's on site at Conrad. That's where I ate for breakfast. I did eat at Orozko's in Condado.

I really enjoyed your review. And thanks for sharing how you posted pictures....I may update my review to add my photos.

Thanks for your nice photo review. The Fish N Chips has been on the Valor since it was built, so it wasn't replaced by the nasty pasta bar, which is on the last cruise ships Carnival's built, Breeze and Magic, so I'm guessing you experienced the nasty pasta bar, Cucina del Capitano on the Breeze. Why did you think it was nasty? :):):):)

Nope - didn't pay extra to visit the Cucina on the Breeze. When we were either on the Dream or Valor, the upstairs used to be a pasta bar. The pasta was always either undercooked or overcooked and soggy. None of the sauces were good either. Perhaps I am confusing the Conquest and Dream class ships?

What's the name of the contest and how do I get the bandanna?

And you don't like Denny's do you? There was a Denny's on site at Conrad. That's where I ate for breakfast. I did eat at Orozko's in Condado.

I really enjoyed your review. And thanks for sharing how you posted pictures....I may update my review to add my photos.

HGTV's Globe Traveler contest is hgtvglobetraveler DOT com Just register and ask them to send you one then upload the photo.

DW does not like Denny's or we would have gone there. I am fine with is as an egg is an egg to me :D No worries and thanks!!

HGTV's Globe Traveler contest is hgtvglobetraveler DOT com Just register and ask them to send you one then upload the photo.

DW does not like Denny's or we would have gone there. I am fine with is as an egg is an egg to me :D No worries and thanks!!

OMG...thank you so much! I'm going to enter the contest.

I love pancakes and waffles; so I was happy when I saw the Denny's.

Thanks for the info! I just registered to receive a bandana. That $500 prize could pay for another cruise! :D

First off, thanks for the review! I love reading these in anticipation of our cruise on the Valor in 148 days! It will be our first cruise.

Stupid question, but how did you bring home the alcohol you purchased? I assume you can't put it in your carry on luggage, because of liquid restrictions, so did you just spread it out between your checked bags and pack it between clothes? Or is there some other easier way to do it that I haven't thought of? :)

Thank you for posting this review. 20 friends will be heading out on the Valor in less than 4 weeks and I can't wait. I see your family is made up of water babies:D and you guys looked like you had a blast from beginning to end. This will be my first 7 day cruise with Carnival and I am looking forward to all the new ports.

Thanks you for your review and pictures. So nice too that you could spend some time in San Juan before and after. We are doing this cruise next March 2014, so really loved hearing about your experience.

Plans for ports for us are

1) St. Thomas -- Sapphire beach on our own and some ship time hopefully with slightly lighter crowds // have never ever for example been able to get a lounge chair near the pool on every past cruise I've ever taken. Always have had to put towel and clothes on the floor for using the swimming pool and hot tub // Would be nice to do mini golf with lighter crowds too

2) Barbados -- doing a Cat sea turtle excursion too -- great to hear you enjoyed yours (most expensive tour we are splurging on for the trip, so always great to hear positives)

3) St. Lucia -- as you confirmed beaches don't sound like they are as good as some of the other ports -- We're planning on an island tour here.

4) St. Kitts (planning on this mini Plantation House tour and seeing their rescue animals on our own) // Will then probably stop at Shipwrecks by the beach -- maybe some monkey's will be out // Planning hopefully for some lighter crowd ship time

5) St. Maarten -- Relaxing morning on ship and planning to hit the beach with the big planes in the afternoon (DS 17s favorite place to fly on Flight Simulator lol)

We have late dining too. Have a feeling I'll just be visiting family a little on the balcony and will probably make some early nights of it on quite a few nights.

Hi,

We are doing a cruise out of San Juan on the Valor next spring break (March 2014).

One of the things I really haven't liked on the last two Carnival cruises I've taken -- both Conquest class like this one -- were the extremely heavy crowds by the pool (it was only on days at sea that we got down there). For example for swimming with my son or going in the hot tub, I never ever could get a lounge chair near the pool or hot tub. Always had to put clothes and towels on the floor and be in the pool or hot tub or sitting on the ground to watch him/be close by. Mini golf wasn't that bad, but pretty crowded. // Anyway for three of the ports on this next cruise, we aren't going to be out and about all day and I was hoping it might be less crowded. Looking at ship time in late afternoon while in port in St. Thomas after hitting Sapphire Beach for a little bit // Looking at ship time in late afternoon while in port in St. Kitts after very short Plantation House tour -- they have some native rescue animals and a stop at Shipwreck's (Friar beach) just for a quick walk to maybe see if there are monkey's out. // Also in St. Maarten will be on ship in the morning before hitting Maho beach in the afternoon when the big planes come in.

Will I find lighter crowds at the pool and maybe even be able to get a lounge chair near the hot tub do you think, based on past experience with this cruise? Maybe lots of people will be in port. Will I be able to play mini golf with lighter crowds? // Hoping for a little less of a mad house. What about towels on chairs with no people? Is there an acceptable period of time where I could use the chair / move the towel to the ground if people never show -- maybe 45 minutes or an hour?? // Just sort of got to me on my last cruise that there were so many chairs with towels, but no people for long periods of time and that to be close my to my kid that I had to sit on the ground on my towel if I didn't want to stay in the hot tub / pool the whole time.

Hi,

We are doing a cruise out of San Juan on the Valor next spring break (March 2014).

One of the things I really haven't liked on the last two Carnival cruises I've taken -- both Conquest class like this one -- were the extremely heavy crowds by the pool (it was only on days at sea that we got down there). For example for swimming with my son or going in the hot tub, I never ever could get a lounge chair near the pool or hot tub. Always had to put clothes and towels on the floor and be in the pool or hot tub or sitting on the ground to watch him/be close by. Mini golf wasn't that bad, but pretty crowded. // Anyway for three of the ports on this next cruise, we aren't going to be out and about all day and I was hoping it might be less crowded. Looking at ship time in late afternoon while in port in St. Thomas after hitting Sapphire Beach for a little bit // Looking at ship time in late afternoon while in port in St. Kitts after very short Plantation House tour -- they have some native rescue animals and a stop at Shipwreck's (Friar beach) just for a quick walk to maybe see if there are monkey's out. // Also in St. Maarten will be on ship in the morning before hitting Maho beach in the afternoon when the big planes come in.

Will I find lighter crowds at the pool and maybe even be able to get a lounge chair near the hot tub do you think, based on past experience with this cruise? Maybe lots of people will be in port. Will I be able to play mini golf with lighter crowds? // Hoping for a little less of a mad house. What about towels on chairs with no people? Is there an acceptable period of time where I could use the chair / move the towel to the ground if people never show -- maybe 45 minutes or an hour?? // Just sort of got to me on my last cruise that there were so many chairs with towels, but no people for long periods of time and that to be close my to my kid that I had to sit on the ground on my towel if I didn't want to stay in the hot tub / pool the whole time.

When in March? Not to HJ a thread but, we are planning for the 23rd, sailing.