Upgrading after pricedrops?

So my oceanview had a pricedrop and we got credit to our acct since its paid in full. We now want to upgrade to bslcony, but carnival said we loose our crefit? What sense does that make? Wouldnt they rather me use the crefit to upgrade and spend more money

I think what is happening is something to the effect of this example:

Originally paid: $1000.

Price Drop to $900. Since they paid $1000, they have the original cabin at $900, plus an onboard credit of $100. ($900 + $100 = $1000)

Upgrade to better cabin. Let's say the new cabin is $1200...

Carnival will say that they need to pay $200, and lose the OBC. By the time everything is said and done, they would have paid in the following:

$1000 for the original cabin

$200 for the upgrade

Equals a total of $1200 paid, which is the cost of the upgraded cabin.

In this example, you "lose" the OBC. However, you are not being charged more than the cost of the new cabin.

So my oceanview had a pricedrop and we got credit to our acct since its paid in full. We now want to upgrade to bslcony, but carnival said we loose our crefit? What sense does that make? Wouldnt they rather me use the crefit to upgrade and spend more money

We actually did this about a month ago, because the OBC is issued from another department we were not able to use the credit for the upgrade. We went from an Ocean View Aft to an Ocean Suite and only paid the difference based on the current fairs (which had gone down again). This change had no effect on our OBC issued from the first Earlier Saver price drop. Consider calling back.:)

Definitely call back to get a better explanation. Anytime I upgrade whether its by price drop or I pay for the upgrade due to the price dropping in another category for a room or location I really want, the rep. always explains if its not allowable, and the reason. If I'm going to loose the OBC due to the change, which is often due to the rate in which I booked, they also explain the full spectrum of the repercussions (good or bad) for changing.

Same thing happened to us. Call back during the week, in the morning. We had obc's from price drops and were able to upgrade for around $30 without losing the obc. I learned that it just all depends on who you talk to. Also, be sure to take screen shots of what you are seeing. While on the phone with a rep, I had to email them the screen shot. They finally figured it out and said "oh, you are right."

Archived