booking cruise today need help

I am booking a cruise this afternoon for my mother in law, my daughter and myself ... on Oasis of the Seas leaving in July. I have two questions: 1. I have talked with travel agent at an online cruise travel agency and he was very helpful yesterday offered several options for our 2 staterooms. I have cruised before with my daughter, my mother in law has not. I am booking her a ocean balcony as she is a smoker. My option for our stateroom is a ocean balcony guarantee or an assigned boardwalk balcony (mother in law room will be in back of ship) both are the same price ... I am thinking boardwalk balcony to assure being closer to my mother in law ... Are there drawbacks to a balcony overlooking boardwalk, and I have options from deck 8,9,10,11, and 12 on boardwalk and several are not too far from very back (so might be able to see aqua show easily?) #2 question I have not called RCCL direct to book, but online cruise travel agent seemed genuinely helpful feel like he is trying to help me get best deal ... do you think I would get any better deal calling RCCL cruise planners? Thanks for any advice that is given!

I am booking a cruise this afternoon for my mother in law, my daughter and myself ... on Oasis of the Seas leaving in July. I have two questions: 1. I have talked with travel agent at ************ and he was very helpful yesterday offered several options for our 2 staterooms. I have cruised before with my daughter, my mother in law has not. I am booking her a ocean balcony as she is a smoker. My option for our stateroom is a ocean balcony guarantee or an assigned boardwalk balcony (mother in law room will be in back of ship) both are the same price ... I am thinking boardwalk balcony to assure being closer to my mother in law ... Are there drawbacks to a balcony overlooking boardwalk, and I have options from deck 8,9,10,11, and 12 on boardwalk and several are not too far from very back (so might be able to see aqua show easily?) #2 question I have not called RCCL direct to book, but ************ agent seemed genuinely helpful feel like he is trying to help me get best deal ... do you think I would get any better deal calling RCCL cruise planners? Thanks for any advice that is given!

As you can see, the names have been deleted as it is against CC Guide lines to address specific travel agencies. RCI does not discount cruises. If you are getting a lower price from another source, then it is coming out of their commission.

EDIT: I see that you have edited your post.

If your option is an ocean balcony guarentee you have to consider the possiblility that you could end up very far away from your mother-in-law. Oasis ia a VERY long ship. If that does not concern you and you want an ocean view then go for it. If you are going to get an assigned balcony on Boardwalk that is near the back then you may well be able to watch the Aqua shows from there and you may also have an ocean view. Just be aware that the Boardwalk can sometimes be a bit noisy as opposed to Central Park which is a very quiet area. But Boardwalk quiets down by about 11 PM once the shows are done.

As far as getting better deals from RCI vs. a TA, unless your TA is putting you in as part of a group booking you will get the same price from both locations. Now, if your TA is offering you some perks like on board credit, specialty dining payment, or prepaid gratuities then that would be something to consider that would put you ahead of booking directly with RCI.

You need to look at where the rooms are. In the aft if you are not on the same side of the ship you may be farther apart then you think. You can not get from side to side on the aft on the Oasis upper decks. If you do the guaranty you could change to another cabin of the same price to get closer.

Thanks for the information so far ... I guess I will use the online travel agency because they are offering a few perks like cash rebate based on cost of cruise etc., thanks for the sale information but we will be traveling in July and the Oasis prices are in June ... Any other info on boardwalk balcony vs ocean balcony will be helpful ... right now I am leaning toward boardwalk balcony I don't think the noise will be a factor for my 17 year old and I like to people watch some any other helpful information is welcomed ... THANKS everyone:)

• 2 months later...
We are looking at the last two Boardwalk cabins on Decks 11 or 12 of the Oasis. Are there any view obstructions on either of those when looking at the Aqua Shows?

I think that they are too high up to enjoy the show properly. Others disagree.

But there are no "obstructions" per se.

:)

I think that they are too high up to enjoy the show properly. Others disagree.

But there are no "obstructions" per se.

:)

Thank you for the answer to the obstructions.:)

I watched the show from the "Secret Balcony" on deck 11 or 12 on the Allure once. Can't remember which deck, I should probably check my review:o and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, I guess I am one who would disagree with you on that one! However, I also watched it from actual theater and loved that, too. I had fewer obstructions from above, though. Someone tall with a very big head sat in front of me in the theater!:D

Archived