Gallipoli campaign 100th Anniversary

Aussie Claire

I am interested to know if Celebrity will be doing a Gallipoli Cruise to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Australia’s involvement at Gallipoli.

I have included a link to the campaign for anyone interested in knowing the history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_Campaign

Don't know about Celebrity but the MSC Sinfonia is doing a 36 day 100th anniversary cruise from Fremantle. Looks like there are land based tours also.

That would be very interesting. Gallipoli is as important to Australian and New Zealand history as Vimy Ridge is to Canadian history. I hope you find something.

Don't know about Celebrity but the MSC Sinfonia is doing a 36 day 100th anniversary cruise from Fremantle. Looks like there are land based tours also.

That would be very interesting. Gallipoli is as important to Australian and New Zealand history as Vimy Ridge is to Canadian history. I hope you find something.

Thank you for your reply, I was aware of the MSC cruise but would prefer something shorter where I could incorporate other travel, the MSC cruise doesn't offer the itinerary I would like.

I would be more interested in a western and eastern Med cruise.

Thought I would post this link for those interested - this is 9 nights and is hosted by Australian Geographic so I'm sure would be of a very high standard. Bit to pricey for me though. I have friends who have booked the Premium Coach tour - a little cheaper. (see link at the bottom of the web page) We are looking at joining a cruise after the land tour.

http://www.gallipoli-2015.com.au/gallipoli-2015-travel-tours/cruise/Gallipoli-2015-Epic-Cruise

This is a one off event so it is priced accordingly.

Cheers

Deb

G'Day all. Greetings from sunny Oman.

Just be a bit careful when booking anything that promises participation of the Dawn Service on /around ANZAC day.

It looks as if tickets are NOT sold to tour companies, but that there will be RAFFLE for tickets by the government.

I remember reading something along these lines not long ago. I believe on the Sydney Morning Herald website.

Please please don't get me started on this, I have been told that because I live in the UK and I am not allowed to enter the lottery for Tickets for 2015

Does not matter that my Grandfather came out to Australia in November 1914, joined the 4th Battalion AIF, landed at ANZAC Cove on 25th April between 11 and 12 noon, they were the reserves and once they were commited they had no reserves left and was KIA action at Lone Pine 6 - 9th August 1915. My Dad would have been about 1 1/2 years old at the time, I was a late baby for both my parents :o

So we have been looking for cruises, but of course ours will have to start in the UK.

Think now I might avoid the 25th April, as unless you have a ticket you are not going to get anywhere near anything. Might try to get there August, the only problem with that is that is going to be mega hot, but hey ho if Grandad can do it, so can his Grandaughter.:)

Anyway here is a link to Canakkale Port, which list the ships that are calling there.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingcanakkaleturkey-may2013.html

Perhaps you may be able to pick up a cruise line from this, but from Canakkale you do have to cross the Bosphors to get to Gallipoli, and you will need to hire either a car or a tour guide. The first time we went was off a Thomson cruises that called there and we managed to get a guide who was waiting for us on the Quayside and took me straight to Lone Pine to "see" Grandad, I was the first one to go and see him at that time for 95 years and then took us all round the ANZAC part of Gallipoli. I don't know if you have been before but if you are going to walk and climb you are going to need stout walking shoes, its very hilly and steep with ravines and gullies all over the place. You will not see it all in one day though. I am actually going in September and spending a week there. Fly to Istanbul and then by coach to Canakkale.

I hear you, that 36 night cruise is really long, but it sounds nice!

Good luck finding something. If you do please post it. I am a huge history buff.

I will be happy to keep you informed.:)

I am going to write to Celebrity and ask if they are doing a cruise at that time, I'm not sure if their ships will be back in Europe at that time in April.

Thought I would post this link for those interested - this is 9 nights and is hosted by Australian Geographic so I'm sure would be of a very high standard. Bit to pricey for me though. I have friends who have booked the Premium Coach tour - a little cheaper. (see link at the bottom of the web page) We are looking at joining a cruise after the land tour.

http://www.gallipoli-2015.com.au/gallipoli-2015-travel-tours/cruise/Gallipoli-2015-Epic-Cruise

This is a one off event so it is priced accordingly.

Cheers

Deb

Thanks for the link Deb.:)

I am interested in the MSC, I prefer X but will try any cruiseline if the itinerary is right.:D

This MSC tour is quite expensive and I'm not all that keen on its itinerary. I spoke to a person who is doing this tour and he said the Dawn service is held on the ship in Anzac Cove.

Please please don't get me started on this, I have been told that because I live in the UK and I am not allowed to enter the lottery for Tickets for 2015

Does not matter that my Grandfather came out to Australia in November 1914, joined the 4th Battalion AIF, landed at ANZAC Cove on 25th April between 11 and 12 noon, they were the reserves and once they were commited they had no reserves left and was KIA action at Lone Pine 6 - 9th August 1915. My Dad would have been about 1 1/2 years old at the time, I was a late baby for both my parents :o

So we have been looking for cruises, but of course ours will have to start in the UK.

Think now I might avoid the 25th April, as unless you have a ticket you are not going to get anywhere near anything. Might try to get there August, the only problem with that is that is going to be mega hot, but hey ho if Grandad can do it, so can his Grandaughter.:)

Anyway here is a link to Canakkale Port, which list the ships that are calling there.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingcanakkaleturkey-may2013.html

Perhaps you may be able to pick up a cruise line from this, but from Canakkale you do have to cross the Bosphors to get to Gallipoli, and you will need to hire either a car or a tour guide. The first time we went was off a Thomson cruises that called there and we managed to get a guide who was waiting for us on the Quayside and took me straight to Lone Pine to "see" Grandad, I was the first one to go and see him at that time for 95 years and then took us all round the ANZAC part of Gallipoli. I don't know if you have been before but if you are going to walk and climb you are going to need stout walking shoes, its very hilly and steep with ravines and gullies all over the place. You will not see it all in one day though. I am actually going in September and spending a week there. Fly to Istanbul and then by coach to Canakkale.

I can well understand how upset you must be.:mad:

I believe cruises will hold the dawn service aboard ship in Anzac Cove, which is OK with me, I feel I want to be there (close by) to honor so many you gave their lives.

My husband & I attended the Dawn Service on our recent Solstice cruise to Hawaii, it was lovely to see the service so well attended.

You will love Turkey it is an amazing country, I hope you post after your trip, I would love to read about it.:)

We have been the dawn service here in London and we go every ANZAC Day to the Cenotaph for a service and then on to Westminster Abbey.:)

Been to Turkey loads of times and absolutely love it, espically Istanbul, if you get a chance to go on a cruise and one of the stops is Istanbul grab it cause its absolutely amazing.

I was on a Black Sea cruise a few years ago from Athens. The ship was heading towards Istanbul for a port stop before heading into the Black Sea. It was a Sunday morning around 6a and I woke up and noticed that we were sailing close to shore and not that I knew where we were thought to myself that this is Galipoli. Started to take pictures and saw a monument atop a cliff. Found out that it was Galipoli. One of my greatest cruise ship moments and just an accident that I saw it. Mentioned it to friends who were also on the cruie and they missed it because Princess never mentioned that we would be passing this historic site. They probably never heard of Galoli

This MSC tour is quite expensive and I'm not all that keen on its itinerary. I spoke to a person who is doing this tour and he said the Dawn service is held on the ship in Anzac Cove.

Yes I checked it out. It is not the Sinfonia but the Poesia doing the 36 nights from Freemantle. The Itinerary is not quite what I wanted and the price is expensive. Even the 10 day cruise on the Armonia is quite dear. I know they are special cruises but with the risk of not getting into the ballot, just not sure if it is worth that expense.:D

Yes I checked it out. It is not the Sinfonia but the Poesia doing the 36 nights from Freemantle. The Itinerary is not quite what I wanted and the price is expensive. Even the 10 day cruise on the Armonia is quite dear. I know they are special cruises but with the risk of not getting into the ballot, just not sure if it is worth that expense.:D

I was hoping to find a Mediterranean cruise that will stop in Anzac Cove for the Dawn Service. I was intending to steer clear of an organised tour as they tend to be a gathering of ex-servicemen and an excuse for a booze up.

We have been the dawn service here in London and we go every ANZAC Day to the Cenotaph for a service and then on to Westminster Abbey.:)

Been to Turkey loads of times and absolutely love it, espically Istanbul, if you get a chance to go on a cruise and one of the stops is Istanbul grab it cause its absolutely amazing.

Turkey would be my favourite destination in the world, I love Istanbul, I can't get enough of their history, also Ephesus with its ancient ruins, the Virgin Mary's house and St John's church. We had the best guides in Istanbul and Ephesus, I would do it all again as I enjoyed it so much.

I envy you going in September because I know you are going to have the best time.

I was hoping to find a Mediterranean cruise that will stop in Anzac Cove for the Dawn Service. I was intending to steer clear of an organised tour as they tend to be a gathering of ex-servicemen and an excuse for a booze up.

Yes, I think that would suit me as well.:D

Since Celebrity seems to be expanding into the Australian market it might be in their interest to plan a cruise that would mark this historical the event. Since they plan schedules several years in advance I would suggest that those who might be potential passengers communicate the idea to Celebrity. A large pool of potential cruisers might help to direct a deceision. Unlike some suggestions, this one has real merit and could be accomplished. Just a shame that the idea didn't develop early enough to influenc the current schedule. Good luck.

Since Celebrity seems to be expanding into the Australian market it might be in their interest to plan a cruise that would mark this historical the event. Since they plan schedules several years in advance I would suggest that those who might be potential passengers communicate the idea to Celebrity. A large pool of potential cruisers might help to direct a deceision. Unlike some suggestions, this one has real merit and could be accomplished. Just a shame that the idea didn't develop early enough to influenc the current schedule. Good luck.

Yes, I think it is certainly worth doing.:D

Archived