Magnetic card to access safe onboard

montekat

I have always carried a card from our local slots to use for the safe onboard as I have an extra and my husband and myself can both carry one. However, some friends who are sailing with us don't have cards. I had read somewhere that you could use the "gift cards" from WalMart, etc. as they have a magnetic stripe. Do you need to have any money on these, say $1.00, or are the stripes "readable" if no money has been entered? Would the cards have identical stripes?

Thanks for any info!

Any card with a magnetic strip on the back will work. I used my library card once, but most use a grocery store card or driver's license. Whatever card locks it, must be the one that unlocks it, though.

We have always used our Sail&Sign card for the safe for over 24 cruises and never had a problem. Makes sense to use that one since that is the one you will take with you always and if it gets lost they make you another that will still work on the safe.

We have always used our Sail&Sign card for the safe for over 24 cruises and never had a problem. Makes sense to use that one since that is the one you will take with you always and if it gets lost they make you another that will still work on the safe.

Often, if it gets lost/damaged, they'll give you a new one with a new magnetic code...and move items previously charged by you to the just-created account They would then deactive the old one [to prevent use by someone other than you]. The new card probably wouldn't open/close your safe

Most of the safes have a way to read two cards. I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I think the instructions on the safe tell you how. It has to be "locked" by both, but either one will open.
It is true that you can lock the safe with both cards and either can access it. The problem lies when only 1 person returns to the cabin - opens the safe and then has to relock it. Once it is relocked with only 1 card, that is the only one that will work to open it the next time.

Often, if it gets lost, they'll give you a new one with a new magnetic code...and move items previously charged by you to the just-created account They would then deactive the old one [to prevent use by someone other than you]. The new card probably wouldn't open/close your safe

Plus - if someone saw you leave your cabin and drop your card - not only do they know what cabin you are in they also have access to your safe.

I used my Sail and Sign Card last year on the cruise for the safe and it did get demagnitized. Yes, they did give me a new S&S card but every time we got on and off the ship it would beep because there was not a picture with it. So I had to step aside and show my driver's license. It got to be a real pain especially when we would going off the ship and my family was moved on while I was pulled aside. They got the picture getting off and I was missing. This year I used the grocery store card and they worked much better. Lesson learned.;)

Often, if it gets lost/damaged, they'll give you a new one with a new magnetic code...and move items previously charged by you to the just-created account They would then deactive the old one [to prevent use by someone other than you]. The new card probably wouldn't open/close your safe

Call room service and they come and open the safe for you!!!! I did it 2 times last time!!!

Archived