1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Hey Kim - it's me again - your new stalker! (found you on the Getaway review - I'm the one that thinks Sakari looks like the little girl in the Kohl's commercial!) I'm addicted to your reviews now, and I will read every one. We had a horrible horrible horrible experience in Roatan back in 2011, and my husband won't go back there. I will have to show him your review and pictures from Little French Key, and maybe, just maybe that will change his mind. When we went, it was on NCL, we went to the end of the pier and "negotiated" a trip to Tabyana Beach. We were a party of 6. I honestly don't remember what we paid, but whatever it was was for a round trip, but, on the way there, they guy said that everyone from the ship goes to Tabyana Beach, and he would take us to a resort that had a beach and pool, food and drinks. So we were like "sure!" So he dropped us off at a West Bay Beach Resort (don't remember the name of that either - can I claim Menopause Memory Loss?) - and Yes, the water was blue, the sand was white, but there were a million vendors who bugged the crap out of us all day, so much so that me and my friend's teenage daughter ended up going up to the pool, in order to not be bothered. I mean it was outta control. People selling beads, dresses, stuff in coolers, and they walked by again and again even after you gave them a firm "no". Very annoying, and you could not relax at all! Then, when it was time for us to return to the ship, we asked the guy to call our driver. We waited. and waited. and waited. and waited. He wasn't showing up, we kept asking and they kept saying he is on his way. And it's not like anybody else was showing up in his place. My husband is Air Force, so like you, we are ALWAYS on time everywhere, and it drives him insane people that are not! Well, we had decided that we were just going to have to walk back - and Wha-Lah - here comes our driver squealing in on 2 wheels. We got in the van, nobody spoke back to the ship the whole ride back, and we got out and yes, we were THOSE people running down the pier to the ship. So yeah, it was a memory for all of us all right, and not a good one. Then in Belize, we just walked around the port area around the ship, because my travel agent had us afraid to leave the port due to it being "dangerous" in Belize. and Costa Maya, we just hung out at the pool at the port, but went back on the ship to eat. In Cozumel, after my husband had one too many Margarita's, I ended up with a beautiful sapphire ring from Diamonds International. I was afraid that he got "scammed", however, upon returning home, and having it appraised, he got a great quality stone and 1/3 the cost it would be in the states according to our jeweler! Yay! But, thanks again, for spurring some interest for me again on this itinerary! I need to be more like you, and do my research before leaving!

Hey Kim - it's me again - your new stalker! (found you on the Getaway review - I'm the one that thinks Sakari looks like the little girl in the Kohl's commercial!) I'm addicted to your reviews now, and I will read every one. We had a horrible horrible horrible experience in Roatan back in 2011, and my husband won't go back there. I will have to show him your review and pictures from Little French Key, and maybe, just maybe that will change his mind. When we went, it was on NCL, we went to the end of the pier and "negotiated" a trip to Tabyana Beach. We were a party of 6. I honestly don't remember what we paid, but whatever it was was for a round trip, but, on the way there, they guy said that everyone from the ship goes to Tabyana Beach, and he would take us to a resort that had a beach and pool, food and drinks. So we were like "sure!" So he dropped us off at a West Bay Beach Resort (don't remember the name of that either - can I claim Menopause Memory Loss?) - and Yes, the water was blue, the sand was white, but there were a million vendors who bugged the crap out of us all day, so much so that me and my friend's teenage daughter ended up going up to the pool, in order to not be bothered. I mean it was outta control. People selling beads, dresses, stuff in coolers, and they walked by again and again even after you gave them a firm "no". Very annoying, and you could not relax at all! Then, when it was time for us to return to the ship, we asked the guy to call our driver. We waited. and waited. and waited. and waited. He wasn't showing up, we kept asking and they kept saying he is on his way. And it's not like anybody else was showing up in his place. My husband is Air Force, so like you, we are ALWAYS on time everywhere, and it drives him insane people that are not! Well, we had decided that we were just going to have to walk back - and Wha-Lah - here comes our driver squealing in on 2 wheels. We got in the van, nobody spoke back to the ship the whole ride back, and we got out and yes, we were THOSE people running down the pier to the ship. So yeah, it was a memory for all of us all right, and not a good one. Then in Belize, we just walked around the port area around the ship, because my travel agent had us afraid to leave the port due to it being "dangerous" in Belize. and Costa Maya, we just hung out at the pool at the port, but went back on the ship to eat. In Cozumel, after my husband had one too many Margarita's, I ended up with a beautiful sapphire ring from Diamonds International. I was afraid that he got "scammed", however, upon returning home, and having it appraised, he got a great quality stone and 1/3 the cost it would be in the states according to our jeweler! Yay! But, thanks again, for spurring some interest for me again on this itinerary! I need to be more like you, and do my research before leaving!

Well hello there again. :D Just beware that my reviews didn't "start" out the greatest and use to be short and simple. I think the older I get, the more long winded I get with them. LOL

Sorry to hear about your Roatan experience. I know from past experiences that having a bad experience somewhere can really hurt future chances of coming back. We had a bad experience in Jamaica (back in the 80's) and I swore I would never go back. However, I have been back twice now and have been fine with it. We just make sure that we book AI resorts so eliminate a lot of the worries with locals hassling you.

I have found that a lot of the ports are filled with vendors that won't leave you alone, even with a firm "no". This is their way of life and they depend on making that sale when the cruisers come in. If they only understood that being pushy is usually how "not" to get the sale. :(

When we went to West Bay, it was lovely, but there was vendors there. We usually don't get hassled too much because we are usually out in the water 99% of the time. I have found they don't seem to want to follow me out there to make a sale. :p I know that West Bay is one of the awesome places to go for snorkeling and everyone talks about it on here. But to me, the beach wasn't "that" beautiful and I have seen a lot better. Maybe some day we'll return, maybe not. We'll see.

Belize is one of those places that most people will either take an excursion with a private vendor that meets you right outside the gate or you take an excursion with the ship. We have had nothing but excellent experiences on our tours, but have come across those pushy vendors on our return right outside the gates walking in once. I'm one of those people that will never go to a port and just stay within the compound. Too much to see and do and I want to experience it. I also make sure that I play it as safe as possible though. Cave tubing is a wonderful experience in Belize and one of a kind.

Costa Maya seems to be a "limited" place to find things to do. There are a few nice AI places to head to like Maya Chan and Almaplena. But other than that, a lot of people just head to the Malecon for the day. I find it very hard to find new places to go to here (unless you do the ruins, which is something that we are really not hip to do at this time).

Cozumel...ahhh, I love Cozumel. So many places to go and visit. Our ship seems to go here every cruise and I still haven't ran out of places to go. I think I just need a land vacation there to be able to visit them all. :D

Glad your ring situation turned out good there. I have read some horror stories and I guess I kinda have one of my own with buying on the cruise ship. I have vowed to never purchase expensive jewelry on board or in a foreign country again.

Definitely do a lot of research on here before leaving. There's so many great places to go and great people on here to help you sort things out. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We are getting ready to pull up to Frenchys already. It's such a short trip. The sailboats where sitting around in the water.

IMG_0492-M.jpg

Here comes Frenchys

IMG_0496-M.jpg

IMG_0499-M.jpg

And now LFK is just a memory in the past. One of the best memories of Roatan.

We head down the deck with the rest of the people that were on the boat with us. The hubby and Sakari stopped to look at a squirrel in a cage and I needed to put my towels and stuff in the bag.

IMG_0502-M.jpg

The other group was still walking and started piling in a mini van that was out in the driveway area. Someone at the restaurant came out and ask us if we were going with them and I ask if we were suppose to because they had ask us what time we wanted to return with Justin and I didn't see Justin anywhere. Before we could turn around, the van pulled off. Well, I guess that settled that. We were officially waiting on Justin whether we wanted to or not.

So I took some more pictures...of course.

IMG_0503-M.jpg

P5150556-M.jpg

Thank you Mitsugirly for the thorough review of LFK - we were thinking about it and now that I've seen all of your photos I am very excited about going there. I know somewhere you mentioned your cameras. I have a Nikon SLR but nothing for underwater what do you recommend? What do you do with your equipment while you are snorkeling or swimming? Thank you very much.

Thank you Mitsugirly for the thorough review of LFK - we were thinking about it and now that I've seen all of your photos I am very excited about going there. I know somewhere you mentioned your cameras. I have a Nikon SLR but nothing for underwater what do you recommend? What do you do with your equipment while you are snorkeling or swimming? Thank you very much.

You are very welcome for the review and pictures. It really is a lovely place and one of my favorites in Roatan now.

I would highly recommend an Olympus. I now have 2 of them and love them. They take excellent pictures and very vivid. There's tons of different modes on it to get different effects with your pictures and they work pretty good underwater as well.

Since I first purchased my point and shoot cameras back in 2010 (which were actually 2 Canon D10's back there but they have since gave out), I never even bother to take my DSLR camera with me on vacation anymore. I feel that the point and shoot cameras are just easier to carry around and they get the job done for sure (at least what I need them for). So...obviously when I'm swimming, so is my camera. :D You never know what you might see and want to take a picture of. Even when I'm in the water, I'm taking pictures of back at the beach or people in the water with me. I just ALWAYS have 1 of my camera with me at ALL times...on the beach, in the water, on the ship, out to eat, you name it. :p

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this amazing review! ! We will be in LFK in 2 weeks!!

We just returned today from a (2 week) cruise and went back to LFK. I have to say the place is totally different now and 110% even better (if that's possible). I will be doing a review on it, but have over 3500 pictures to work on, so I won't be able to get to it before you go. Just know that the place is even more amazing and they have done A LOT of work to the place. We spent a big portion of the day with the owner and he is just as amazing and so kind. Have a great time!

Great info! Thanks!

You're welcome.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the recommendation on the underwater camera mine just arrived today. I am hoping I can take photos like yours. Really appreciate your post and photos and recommendation. I'll let you know in mid Jan what I think of it all.

Thank you for the recommendation on the underwater camera mine just arrived today. I am hoping I can take photos like yours. Really appreciate your post and photos and recommendation. I'll let you know in mid Jan what I think of it all.

You are very welcome. I hope everything turns out great for you. Whice one did you get?

We just returned today from a (2 week) cruise and went back to LFK. I have to say the place is totally different now and 110% even better (if that's possible). I will be doing a review on it, but have over 3500 pictures to work on, so I won't be able to get to it before you go. Just know that the place is even more amazing and they have done A LOT of work to the place. We spent a big portion of the day with the owner and he is just as amazing and so kind. Have a great time!

You're welcome.

I just wanted to say Thank You for your review! After reading it we booked the Dream and went to LFK (back in Oct 2013). We too are returning because we had such an amazing experience! So happy to hear about the improvements...we thought it was perfection before! Can't wait for our next visit!

The tg 850. I used it for photos tonight. I think I'll need to use the action setting. I'll also play with the underwater settings.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Yea, the action setting helps a lot if you have objects that are moving. :p I love the underwater settings on my 2 cameras. They always seem to do a pretty good job.

I just wanted to say Thank You for your review! After reading it we booked the Dream and went to LFK (back in Oct 2013). We too are returning because we had such an amazing experience! So happy to hear about the improvements...we thought it was perfection before! Can't wait for our next visit!

You are very welcome and I'm glad you had an amazing time. We just went back to LFK last month and it's even more amazing. Did you get to read my updated review on it from our Sun cruise? If not, I can give you the link. :)

You are very welcome and I'm glad you had an amazing time. We just went back to LFK last month and it's even more amazing. Did you get to read my updated review on it from our Sun cruise? If not, I can give you the link. :)

No, I sure didn't. I haven't been on here much over the past year or so but now that we are going on another cruise...I am back! I am going to look for your latest review now, I am certain it is fantastic!

No, I sure didn't. I haven't been on here much over the past year or so but now that we are going on another cruise...I am back! I am going to look for your latest review now, I am certain it is fantastic!

Well welcome back and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

The latest review isn't listed in my signature line (I'm running out of space), so here's a little help. You can find it HERE and it starts around post 295.

Hi Mitsu --

I just read your whole review. Can't believe it took me this long to find it. Really enjoyed it and a big Thank You for taking the time to do it.

Couple of hints for when you do the Breeze or Magic. 1) On Embarkation everybody tends to go to Lido to eat something. They all go into the buffet area right behind the pool and it is very crowded. What they probably don't realize is that if you continue going back, there are more stations. And if you go all the way to the back pool, the Tandoori and Deli are not crowded -- yet. :)

2) In the mornings, the Tandoori is set up for a limited breakfast -- cereal, yogurt, fruit, "runny" eggs, toast, muffins, jelly, and DIY bacon. :DSometimes some ham or sausage.

We will have to try LFK when we get back to Roatan. Did Maya Cay before it became a Carnival excursion.

Oh, one more thing about Mahogany Bay. If you stay on the sidewalk and avoid the 'green bubbles' and go all the way to the end, there is a bar/restaurant and a dock that goes out to a snorkel area. Don't know what the snorkeling is like, but have seen people in the water who seem to be enjoying themselves.

Thanks again for your extensive reviews. I know it has to take a lot of your time.

Sakari reminds me of our daughter when she was that age -- not afraid of the water at all.

Hi Mitsu --

I just read your whole review. Can't believe it took me this long to find it. Really enjoyed it and a big Thank You for taking the time to do it.

Couple of hints for when you do the Breeze or Magic. 1) On Embarkation everybody tends to go to Lido to eat something. They all go into the buffet area right behind the pool and it is very crowded. What they probably don't realize is that if you continue going back, there are more stations. And if you go all the way to the back pool, the Tandoori and Deli are not crowded -- yet. :)

2) In the mornings, the Tandoori is set up for a limited breakfast -- cereal, yogurt, fruit, "runny" eggs, toast, muffins, jelly, and DIY bacon. :DSometimes some ham or sausage.

We will have to try LFK when we get back to Roatan. Did Maya Cay before it became a Carnival excursion.

Oh, one more thing about Mahogany Bay. If you stay on the sidewalk and avoid the 'green bubbles' and go all the way to the end, there is a bar/restaurant and a dock that goes out to a snorkel area. Don't know what the snorkeling is like, but have seen people in the water who seem to be enjoying themselves.

Thanks again for your extensive reviews. I know it has to take a lot of your time.

Sakari reminds me of our daughter when she was that age -- not afraid of the water at all.

Better late than never I always say. :D Glad you enjoyed it.

I will keep all your hints in mind for our next Carnival cruise. I was just looking at them last night and trying to decide on something. :) I also wouldn't mind trying the Sunshine out. We have been docked beside it several times on our cruises and it looks like a lot of fun. I know it wasn't getting very good reviews after they revamped it, but I'm hoping things have changed since then and improved. I have a few friends that have tried it out and enjoyed it. I mean I'm not too picky after all and I know I would still have a great time.

DIY bacon??? Are you serious? No way! :eek: I didn't think that was possible on Carnival. Definitely checking that out!

I have an updated LFK report. They have changed A LOT!! It's even more beautiful than it was...if that's even possible. I don't have it in my signature line yet (I'm out of space on the board and it won't let me add anymore :(), but you can find it HERE and it starts around post # 295 and goes until 388. I think you'll like a lot of the updates.

Yes, my oldest daughter and her bf went down that way toward the pier/dock and did some snorkeling and enjoyed it. She said they seen a "snake" (eel) LOL But we love getting out and away when in port, so I probably will never stay there at the Carnival compound if we return.

On the Sunshine, Lido rear has the Asian and Italian as well as the Havana Bar. Lunch is free at the Asian ( think wok) and Italian is pasta bar. Havana has snacks. Dinner at both Asian and Italian are $15 for dinner.

Again, early in the cruise not many people find these spots and are not as crowded as the Lido buffet.

At breakfast, both the Italian and Asian are omelet stations -- 1 at the Italian and 2 at the Asian, but sadly, no DIY bacon. It is available at the Italian but they will serve you. :(

On the Sunshine, Lido rear has the Asian and Italian as well as the Havana Bar. Lunch is free at the Asian ( think wok) and Italian is pasta bar. Havana has snacks. Dinner at both Asian and Italian are $15 for dinner.

Again, early in the cruise not many people find these spots and are not as crowded as the Lido buffet.

At breakfast, both the Italian and Asian are omelet stations -- 1 at the Italian and 2 at the Asian, but sadly, no DIY bacon. It is available at the Italian but they will serve you. :(

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Did the Sunshine get a Guys Burger with the upgrade?

I've just spent an entire evening catching up on all your wonderful posts, reviews and photos. We are cruising the Western Caribbean with the Carnival Glory in 2 weeks and your posts have led me to some new ideas that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I love the detail, although my backside is now numb from sitting at my kitchen computer for so long LOL! Looking forward to posting some stories and updates of my own when we get back. Thanks for taking the time to share such great memories.

I've just spent an entire evening catching up on all your wonderful posts, reviews and photos. We are cruising the Western Caribbean with the Carnival Glory in 2 weeks and your posts have led me to some new ideas that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I love the detail, although my backside is now numb from sitting at my kitchen computer for so long LOL! Looking forward to posting some stories and updates of my own when we get back. Thanks for taking the time to share such great memories.

Aww, thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the review. Sorry about your "backside" :D...can you imagine what mine was like doing the review. :eek: :p

I hope you have a wonderful cruise with wonderful memories. :)

Wow, can't believe you had the whole Playa Mia place to yourselves! Thank you for the great review and photos. We are thinking of this excursion, since there is a little bit of everything to do and it is our first port. There are 5 ships in port that day and if we go we hope it won't be crowded.

Also thank you for your last review which included the sharks and rays excursion. We are going to do that one too and I was eagerly waiting for your review. :)

Wow, can't believe you had the whole Playa Mia place to yourselves! Thank you for the great review and photos. We are thinking of this excursion, since there is a little bit of everything to do and it is our first port. There are 5 ships in port that day and if we go we hope it won't be crowded.

Also thank you for your last review which included the sharks and rays excursion. We are going to do that one too and I was eagerly waiting for your review. :)

Thanks for your comments.

Yep, we had an awesome day at Playa Mia. There was hardly anyone there and it made it real nice. 5 ships in port is not a heavy day for Cozumel so hopefully you'll have the same luck if you decide to go. :)

Have a great trip to the sharks and rays. It is an awesome experience and I hope to do it again some day.