1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Thank you for replying! I will email just to make sure but, I feel better hearing they weren't enforcing it when you went. :)

Glad to hear. Please come back and let me know what they say. I'm interested in hearing it.

I haven't finished your review, but the COLOR of your pictures, is amazing. I love BRIGHT colors, and that is what you showed.:)

Is the Dream the largest ship that Carnival has? I have been on several Carnival ships, but not this one.

That was unique for them to light up the men/womens restroom signs.

Aww thanks.

I'm honestly not sure if it's the biggest. It's probably "one" of the biggest (until the new ship comes out). But it's on the same line as the Breeze and Magic, but they have a few "extras" on them.

• 2 weeks later...
mitsugirly, I'm so glad you enjoyed your Carnival cruise, and to plan to do another one again.

I want to do one, but just waiting on my friend to see if she will be able to cruise in early spring.

Hi and thanks. We definitely had a blast. We actually took another Carnival cruise this year back in April on the Pride. Once again, it didn't disappoint and we had a GREAT time on a beautiful ship!

I'm done cruising for this year (had 3 so far) and won't book again until next year...which I'm pretty sure it will probably be a Carnival again. :)

Hi and thanks. We definitely had a blast. We actually took another Carnival cruise this year back in April on the Pride. Once again, it didn't disappoint and we had a GREAT time on a beautiful ship!

I'm done cruising for this year (had 3 so far) and won't book again until next year...which I'm pretty sure it will probably be a Carnival again. :)

Yay!!!! Which ships are on your "radar"?

Can't believe we have to wait that long for another review!!!:mad::mad:

KIDDING!!!!:D:D

Yay!!!! Which ships are on your "radar"?

Can't believe we have to wait that long for another review!!!:mad::mad:

KIDDING!!!!:D:D

The ship that has been on my radar since the beginning is the Breeze. But every time I check for the dates that we are looking for, the prices are just outrageous. I have no desire to go on a 6 day cruise for more than what I can pay on NCL for a 7 day (which is cheaper) and of course the 8 day cruises are even more. I'm hoping once the new ship is out, the prices will drop. Fingers crossed.

The others that are on my radar are the Magic and Sunshine. There's some others that I wouldn't mind cruising, but I would have to check into them again and can't remember which ones they are at the moment. I'm pretty much open to any depending on the price. :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the super job you do reviewing your cruising experiences. I am going to be on the Dream in Jan. and I have only been on one other Carnival Cruise and that was a Mediterranean Cruise on the Liberty back in 2006. I mostly cruise RC and Celebrity, but I am happy reading about your flattering comments about the Dream. I don't have to worry about the kids club anymore:D

I am starting to feel like your stalker since I have been clicking on all of your other reviews and find them really entertaining. I would rather read your reviews that watch TV.:)

Thanks for the super job you do reviewing your cruising experiences. I am going to be on the Dream in Jan. and I have only been on one other Carnival Cruise and that was a Mediterranean Cruise on the Liberty back in 2006. I mostly cruise RC and Celebrity, but I am happy reading about your flattering comments about the Dream. I don't have to worry about the kids club anymore:D

I am starting to feel like your stalker since I have been clicking on all of your other reviews and find them really entertaining. I would rather read your reviews that watch TV.:)

Ohhhhh, we LOVED the Dream! Seriously! I hope you have a blast on her. (I've done the Pride too and loved it. Maybe she's in your future as well :p).

Stalk away. No worries. That's what I write them for. :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone! I had followed Kim's review of the Dream, I am home now from my cruise and land vacation with my friends and had a wonderful time with nice weather. We started out in San Juan and went to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grand Turk, and Jamaica. We ended up in New Orleans and stayed a few days to do the "Big Easy."

I was really pleasantly surprised at how nice the Carnival Dream was. It was lovely and not at all over the top garish like their early ships. Food, Cabin and service were great. I would definitely sail Carnival again on a similar ship.

Carnival had what they called a "Social internet package" for only $40.00 for the whole cruise and it allowed unlimited access to Facebook and Facebook messenger, so I kept in touch with FB and it saved me a lot of money by not trying to get on the internet to send e mails.

The only down side was that my cabin mate started to get sick on Sat. I had Zicam with me and started sucking on those zinc lozengers. When we got off the ship in New Orleans on Sunday she was able to go around with us, but that night she got really sick. I was really worried about her. On Monday she was too sick to go out with us. Of course I was concerned because I was sharing a room with her, but I kept on sucking those zinc things and vitamin C Hall's defense lozengers. She was so concerned about getting me sick and tried really had to stay away. We had lysol spray and kept using that. We took a cab together to the airport on Tuesday morning and she still wasn't feeling well. I believe when she got home she still was having chills and fever, so I hope she gets better.

So far, I am okay so stopped taking the zinc. I guess it works, but it also completely destroyed my ability to taste anything. I had a metallic taste in my mouth that pretty much made everything taste awful, even wine and beer. Lunch today finally started to taste right again. I was thinking that could be a really great way to lose weight because having things taste so bad I didn't want to eat or drink So, I will always sail with Zicam again. If you hear about illnesses going around the ship, this really does help to keep a person healthy.

Edited by CAC104

Oh I WISH I could be doing the Carnival too, but we are doing the RCCL instead to some of those same ports. Carnival is going there later in April, but with me working, I had to do it earlier, and that is why we are doing RCCL. Hopefully this time, they DON'T lose our luggage.:(

I was really pleasantly surprised at how nice the Carnival Dream was. It was lovely and not at all over the top garish like their early ships. Food, Cabin and service were great. I would definitely sail Carnival again on a similar ship.

So glad to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the ship. Sorry about the sickness and hope things are still good. :) Thanks for the report on your thoughts.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all your reviews...We chose Chankanaab and Blue Kay based on your info and were amazed.

Next up, our trip on the Dream and think we will choose LFK based on your review.

Thanks so much for all your reviews...We chose Chankanaab and Blue Kay based on your info and were amazed.

Next up, our trip on the Dream and think we will choose LFK based on your review.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed Chankanaab and Blue Kay. They are both very beautiful.

You will love LFK. It's the most beautiful and amazing place ever! :) We just returned from there again last week. It just keeps getting better and prettier. They have added a few more beaches.

• 2 weeks later...
Where would be a good place to stand to get good pics of New Orleans as the ship leaves the port ? (On the dream)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would assume an upper deck that you could move from side to side to see everything. :)

• 2 months later...

We are headed back to Cozumel soon and were thinking of doing something other than our usual Chankanaab stop. Love the ease of snorkeling, food, lots of fish, seal show, etc.

After rereading your Coz info and seeing that it is your favorite place in Coz, we decided to stick with Chankanaab again...Wonderful.

Also loved Blue Kay in Costa Maya that you had recommended.

Thanks again.

Barbara

We are headed back to Cozumel soon and were thinking of doing something other than our usual Chankanaab stop. Love the ease of snorkeling, food, lots of fish, seal show, etc.

After rereading your Coz info and seeing that it is your favorite place in Coz, we decided to stick with Chankanaab again...Wonderful.

Also loved Blue Kay in Costa Maya that you had recommended.

Thanks again.

Barbara

Aww, thanks for the comments. I love Chankanaab, but have been busy trying to experience other places there. Some day I will get back to Chank because I know they have added a lot more since we were there last. :)

I've been binge reading all of your reviews KIM and I have to say they are very enjoyable. I enjoy your sense of humor and your family is a riot!

Because of you I booked the Breakaway for next year.

I love your pictures. I have a Canon D20 underwater and I'm so excited to discover I can do the miniatures with it. I can't do it with my DSLR!

Go on another cruise soon..please.

I've been binge reading all of your reviews KIM and I have to say they are very enjoyable. I enjoy your sense of humor and your family is a riot!

Because of you I booked the Breakaway for next year.

I love your pictures. I have a Canon D20 underwater and I'm so excited to discover I can do the miniatures with it. I can't do it with my DSLR!

Go on another cruise soon..please.

You can do the miniatures with a D20? I had two D10's and know it didn't have that feature on it.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Breakaway. She's a beauty! :)

It's called miniature effect. I can't wait to try it out on my next cruise.

Oh cool. It must be something new they added after the D10 cameras. Both my Olympus camera's have the miniature effect and I LOVE it! :)

I've been dying to try it since I first saw it on these boards. I was so bummed that my Canon DSLR doesn't have that setting, never figuring I could get it in a point and shoot.

While reading your reviews I almost bought an Olympus just to get it and then I stopped myself. I brought out my Canon D20 to play around with it and I googled tilt-shift on Canon D20 and found the setting...I was so excited!

I'm not a photographer..I use the auto setting all the time. I guess next cruise I'll be walking on the wild side...lol

Edited by NYGirl1002

Enjoying your review, and especially the "pictures."

I have not finished your review, but you said you were a NCL person, and this was your first Carnival. Well I have cruised over 25 years, doing NCL, RCCL, Holland American, Princess, and Carnival, and I try if at all possible to go back to Carnival. I am NOT a party person, but I just like Carnival, and hopefully at the end of your review, you felt the same way.

I've been dying to try it since I first saw it on these boards. I was so bummed that my Canon DSLR doesn't have that setting, never figuring I could get it in a point and shoot.

While reading your reviews I almost bought an Olympus just to get it and then I stopped myself. I brought out my Canon D20 to play around with it and I googled tilt-shift on Canon D20 and found the setting...I was so excited!

I'm not a photographer..I use the auto setting all the time. I guess next cruise I'll be walking on the wild side...lol

Have a great time with the setting. They are a lot of fun. :D

I was also able to download the tilt-shift app on my iPhone and it takes great pictures too.

What's the name of this app? I must have. :p

Enjoying your review, and especially the "pictures."

I have not finished your review, but you said you were a NCL person, and this was your first Carnival. Well I have cruised over 25 years, doing NCL, RCCL, Holland American, Princess, and Carnival, and I try if at all possible to go back to Carnival. I am NOT a party person, but I just like Carnival, and hopefully at the end of your review, you felt the same way.

Hi and I'm glad you are enjoying the review.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I LOVE CARNIVAL!!! We have been on a few more since this review and had nothing but great experiences! We went on the Pride last Spring Break and just got off the Breeze this Spring Break. The Breeze is one of my favorite ships now!!! I can't wait for my next Carnival. :D