OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

WOW Cindy!! Job very well done! I know it took you countless hours to do this review but you will be helping others to plan their Alaskan adventures for years to come! Your photography skills are those of a seasoned professional! All the tips you have provided in this review will save all of us a lot of planning time, tons of money and will help us make the most of our precious vacation time! Many, many Thanks!

I cannot wait for your European cruise...have you ever thought about doing a Europe planning thread? Europe port planning is nothing like Caribbean port planning and even though I consider myself somewhat of an OCD planner, I am overwhelmed! The options are endless! I would love to follow along as you plan your European cruise!

We have canceled our Caribbean cruise (extended family couldnt go) out of NYC this fall, but we will celebrate Brookes HS graduation the week before Christmas at WDW, and then Mike and I are returning to New Orleans (we were there 25 years ago where he proposed on a Riverboat!) in February for a Norwegian cruise to Belize,Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We are dying to get back on a cruise ship!!

I hope you and Charlie have a great summer! I look forward to cruising with you both again! Until then, keep those fantastic reviews coming!

Lauri (and Mike)

Lauri (and Mike),

Thanks so much for your flattering compliments! I enjoyed doing the review. My friend at work asked me Friday if I would plan a Alaska Vancouver to Seattle cruise for her in 2015 based around the Women's World Cup Soccer games going on up there... told her I'd be happy to help her out.

I now have to get busy planning for Europe. I'll have to think about doing a planning thread... I wouldn't even know where to start on that!

Sorry you had to cancel the Caribbean cruise but nice that you have the graduation week to plan for and look towards. Also congrats on 25 years! You & Mike have a great time on your Anniversary trip.

Hopefully some day in the near future we can cruise together again and share another excursion or two. We have great memories of our last trip with you guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for posting your adventure. We are leaving July 1st and boarding July 5th in Seward for our very first cruise.

Your post were most helpful and educational

John

John,

You are going to have the grandest time! Alaska for a first cruise, WOW! You just won't believe your eyes when you get there. Have a great journey & happy sails!

FINAL THOUGHTS ABOUT OUR ALASKA CRUISE TOUR:

BOOKING: Couldn’t have been easier with Royal Caribbean’s website. Did my research first to decide on the cruise tour package I wanted, went in put it on hold, then I called direct to use my Future Cruise Certificate to book the cruise with only $100 in additional down payment instead of $900 normally required.

CRUISE TOUR DETAILS: Apparently when you do a cruise tour with RCI you are on a need-to-know basis… and apparently they didn’t feel that I needed to know (anything). The only information about the land portion that you are going to get is the overview listed on their website. There is no further documentation until you arrive on site at the first hotel. No information about excursions, costs, times, etc. If you enjoy not having to plan this is a great option for you. If you are OCD like me and HAVE TO KNOW what you are doing every minute of every day and what everything is going to cost you ahead of time you will struggle with the cruise tour (prior to arriving – just the stress of not knowing) until you’re there. The best part of the tour for me was having the hotels, train & motor coach all pre-planned by RCI and having the driver & tour coordinator who handled all of our luggage and hotel check-in and check-out.

LAND ACCOMMODATIONS: We felt that all of the hotels RCI used on our land portion were the best accommodations that were available in the locations we visited. Some were 5-star resorts, some were Alaska “lodges” but all were nice. The rooms had everything we needed and most had everything on-site such as restaurants & sundry shops for those who didn’t want to leave the hotel (or couldn’t because of mobility problems). Speaking of mobility issues, if you have any, be sure to bring this up to your tour coordination immediately upon meeting him/her. Let them know that you must have 1st floor accommodations or elevator so that they can call ahead & have your room assigned as such by the hotel.

Edited by ace1zoe2

WILDERNESS EXPRESS: RCI’s WE domed train cars are FABULOUS! They were extremely comfortable, with fantastic views, great personnel onboard and an awesome dining experience. There is just something about taking a scenic train ride in upscale accommodations as opposed to being on a bus or in a car. The added commentary from the train host explaining what we were seeing and pointing things out only added to the adventure.

MOTOR-COACHES: The motor-coach rides were short for the most part, around 2 hours or so usually with an excursion stop along the way. The coaches were in good shape and provided a comfortable ride. The tour director kept it interesting with stories along the way and of course everyone was watching out the windows for wildlife spotting along the way – we had great luck seeing moose, bears, eagles and more.

INCLUDED EXCURSIONS: Our tour included 4 excursions along the way. The first was the Denali Natural History Tour which went 16 miles into the park, which we ditched in order to do the Eielson Shuttle Bus 66 miles into the park. Others who did the tour enjoyed it but we wanted to have a better opportunity to see more wildlife and it paid off. We saw 6 bears, 3 moose, a golden eagle, 30+ caribou, dall sheep and more. At the Alyeska Resort we had passes to ride the aerial tram to the top of the mountain which was a fun outing with some fantastic views. The third was a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center between Anchorage and Seward. We very much enjoyed this excursion. All of the wildlife on site have either been abandoned by their mothers or were injured in some way. The center nurses them back to health then releases them back into the wild if possible. If that is not possible, then they have a permanent home at the center. Our final included excursion was a 3 hour Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay Cruise which was wonderful as well. Not too long, not too short in my opinion. There are longer cruises, up to 8 or 9 hours if you want to be out on a boat for that length of time. We saw plenty in our 3 hour cruise including dall porpoise, puffins, a whale and more. Overall we thought all of the included excursions were very good and things we would have chosen to on our own if we had done the planning.

Edited by ace1zoe2

EMBARKATION: Was absolutely the easiest embarkation we have ever encountered in all of our cruises to date. We were dropped literally at the door of the port building, thru the door, checked in and onboard within 15-20 minutes. It was fabulous!

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS: We loved this ship! There is so much glass (acres according to the web-site) which provides wonderful views of the scenic Alaska landscape. The ship is clean, comfortable and has a friendly and accommodating staff. Everyone had a smile on their face and a “hello” as you passed. The captain was out and about and very personable and funny. Our stateroom attendant, Sebastian, was there to introduce himself and if he was in the hall when we approached he would have the door opened when we got to the door. He was a ninja – in and out to make up or turn down without us ever seeing him. Our dining room waiters Louvin (male) and assistant waiters were both very nice and did an outstanding job… we couldn’t have asked for more.

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS: For the most part, with the exception of Rita’s Cantina, we felt the specialty restaurants were worth the added costs. Chop’s Grill is always wonderful. Samba Grill was new for us and had great food & staff… just be sure that you go hungry! Giovanni’s was also new for us and the food was very good here also. Izumi is not something that my husband would eat so I got my order to go and enjoyed it. We pre-purchased the Royal Dining Package which included everything except Rita’s (4 restaurants for $75) and our friends bought a package once onboard that included 3 restaurants for $60 (didn’t include Izumi) which is what I should have done. We enjoy the more relaxed, quiet atmosphere of the specialty dining venues. The less rushed, more personal service that you receive in the specialty restaurants is why we like them more than the main dining room.

FOOD: is very subjective and what I like isn’t necessarily what you will like and vice-versa. I personally thought the dining room food was good. Not great, not just ok, but good overall. The new menus have a lot of really different food on them and some nights I struggled to find something that sounded great to me. Did I go hungry? No. Did I leave food on my plate… sometimes. The food in the specialty restaurants was, by far, better and thus the reason you pay more money to eat there.

ENTERTAINMENT: We actually didn’t go to a single show but heard reviews that the Piano Man and other shows were very good.

ONBOARD ACTIVITIES: There was no shortage of daily activities to keep you as busy as you chose to be. We chose to be relaxed on our balcony instead! We did hang out some in the Schooner Bar listening to a band or two and I joined in a Trivia game one night in the Quill & Compass and had a fun time.

PORTS: The ports were all great areas to visit. In most ports, right off the ship, there is something to do within walking distance. We had unbelievable weather which only added to the enjoyment in each port we visited.

RCI EXCURSIONS: There were more excursions available in Alaska than I have ever seen offered on any cruise we’ve been on, including Caribbean cruises. Just be prepared that excursions in Alaska are EXPENSIVE (like $100-$500 and more PER PERSON!) You can easily spend more on excursions than the cost of your cruise! There is something to do for everyone… city tours, walking tours, zip lines, whale watching, snorkeling (in Alaska!), kayaking, white water rafting, food tours, etc… there is no lack of things to do.

DEBARKATION: This was also the easiest debarkation that we have had in our 9 cruises. It wasn’t stressful at all. We prefilled our customs forms before leaving the ship and we carried off our luggage… something we will continue to do.

Edited by ace1zoe2

CARRY-ON & BACKPACK ONLY: is the only way we will travel in the future! If we can do 16 days in Alaska with the added long underwear, coats, etc. we can travel anywhere in the world for 1-3 weeks in a carry-on and backpack with a little pre-planning. I was a doubter too in the beginning but I have been converted!

OVERALL CRUISE-TOUR EXPERIENCE: overall we had a fantastic trip and feel so fortunate that we were able to experience Alaska for the second time. It is so different from a Caribbean cruise in so many ways. The casualness, the scenery, the excursions, the food (onshore) just makes it seem like you are in a different world. If you have never experienced Alaska – you need to put it on your bucket list. Alaska is not inexpensive, but you can pre-plan, research and make it more affordable.

I hope you enjoyed my report, I know it was long. If there are any other questions that I can answer for you, please feel free to ask. Happy Sails everyone!

Now I must get busy planning for my 2014 European cruise… I only have 487 more days to get the perfect itinerary and excursions planned for the least amount of money J

I am exhausted from your trip. It has been an exhilarating and mind expanding experience following along with you seeing the wonders of Alaska. It would appear that the Radiance of the Seas and RCCL has provided the WOW factor once again. I too have been frustrated with the lack of information on the land tour part of the vacation, but your narrative has provided much of the missing information. Our 16 day trip starts August 9th in Vancouver. We have added 4 days in Fairbanks in order to go to the Arctic- and why not we are so close!

Congratulations, well done, a multitude of thank yous, happy planning your next adventure!! :)

Thank you for all the wonderful information, Cindy. We'll be booking Alaska 2015 as soon as those cruises are offered!!

Betty

Betty,

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on my report. You and Ray will have a wonderful time in Alaska. I believe bookings open in mid-March for the following year.

I am exhausted from your trip. It has been an exhilarating and mind expanding experience following along with you seeing the wonders of Alaska. It would appear that the Radiance of the Seas and RCCL has provided the WOW factor once again. I too have been frustrated with the lack of information on the land tour part of the vacation, but your narrative has provided much of the missing information. Our 16 day trip starts August 9th in Vancouver. We have added 4 days in Fairbanks in order to go to the Arctic- and why not we are so close!

Congratulations, well done, a multitude of thank yous, happy planning your next adventure!! :)

Pat,

Thank you for all the compliments and kind words. Enjoy your August cruise, you are going to have a fantastic vacation... by the way you may need to take shorts & tank tops by then the way the weather is going up there!

Happy Sails!

Truly enjoyed your cruise review. You are going to have so much fun planning your European cruise. I'd say I spent ATLEAST as much time planning our 12-day Mediterranean cruise last year as I did with my Alaskan cruise (which leaves this Friday). Feel free to visit my one and only attempt to blog about my European cruise at SandySetsSail.wordpress.com. (Keep in mind that it was my first attempt.) :) Thanks again for sharing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for all of your input, I have cut and pasted some of your comments and made a listing of some of your other posts to go back to. We are going Aug 2014. I like to research and plan up front- but probably not to the extreme you did. I picked the cruise and tour for 6 of us, but don't want to overstep by bounds and do everything else. Have to let the others have there say, but somehow I have to get them motivated to start planning. Again thanks for all of your hard work.

Cindy, I want to say a BIG THANK YOU on an excellent, informative and descriptive review. With so many helpful tips, ideas and suggestions, I know our trip next year will be so out of this world wonderful due to the information I will be taking from your trip.

I am doing all of our major trip scheduling for the 6 of us coming from all over the US for this 2 week tour/cruise/tour that we are doing, but with my spreadsheet and checklists and the vital details from here, I am not worried a bit. Thank you again and I will definitely be watching for your next journey!! The Mediterranean is next on our list :D

Linda

You did a fantastic job AND you finished up the day before we head out. BRAVO! Tee hee, it's all about our trip you know!

Can't wait to read your Europe trip report, it's on my bucket list too!

Enjoy YOUR cruise! You're right, it's always all out YOU (or me, if it's my cruise :))

Thanks for following along!

Truly enjoyed your cruise review. You are going to have so much fun planning your European cruise. I'd say I spent ATLEAST as much time planning our 12-day Mediterranean cruise last year as I did with my Alaskan cruise (which leaves this Friday). Feel free to visit my one and only attempt to blog about my European cruise at SandySetsSail.wordpress.com. (Keep in mind that it was my first attempt.) :) Thanks again for sharing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sandy,

I started reading your blog last night... WOW!~ that's how I meant for my blog to read... You did a fantastic job. I'll have to try to make my next one more exciting instead of just the facts!

Thanks for following along. I'm looking forward to planning the European cruise. Have a great time on your Alaskan cruise - you will love it!

Thank you for all of your input, I have cut and pasted some of your comments and made a listing of some of your other posts to go back to. We are going Aug 2014. I like to research and plan up front- but probably not to the extreme you did. I picked the cruise and tour for 6 of us, but don't want to overstep by bounds and do everything else. Have to let the others have there say, but somehow I have to get them motivated to start planning. Again thanks for all of your hard work.

Rany & Penny,

Thanks for following along. I know what you mean about traveling with others ;)

My suggestion is to tell everyone that you will meet up for dinner to discuss what everyone did that day. That's the only thing we PLAN together. We research and book what we want to do. Then we tell folks, here's our itinerary, if you want to follow along here's how to book it. If not feel free to do your own thing. Sometimes we end up together, sometimes not. Trust me, you don't want to be together 24/7 with everyone you're traveling with. We all need our own time and space to do what we want to do.

So plan away! Don't wait for everyone else to start or the excursions you want to do may already be booked up.

Have fun planning & happy sailing!

Cindy, thank you for the comprehensive report on land tour 13. I feel much better knowing more details. We leave Saturday.

I'm so excited for you! You are going to have a great time. Be sure to throw in a pair of shorts/capris and your swim suit. I think they will get plenty of use this trip!

Cindy, I want to say a BIG THANK YOU on an excellent, informative and descriptive review. With so many helpful tips, ideas and suggestions, I know our trip next year will be so out of this world wonderful due to the information I will be taking from your trip.

I am doing all of our major trip scheduling for the 6 of us coming from all over the US for this 2 week tour/cruise/tour that we are doing, but with my spreadsheet and checklists and the vital details from here, I am not worried a bit. Thank you again and I will definitely be watching for your next journey!! The Mediterranean is next on our list :D

Linda

Linda,

Thanks so much for all the kind words, you made my day! You have a big job taking on the planning for everyone... good luck trying to make everyone happy. Not sure I could take that responsibility. Your friends sure better appreciate all the work and research you will be doing... if they only knew ;)

I'm more of the here's what we're doing if you'd like to come along, here's how to book it - type. Then some do & some don't. Then at dinner we all talk about what we did that day which gives us lots of topics for conversation and we're not spending 24/7 together.

Have fun planning!