OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

Great review, beautiful photos, the most scans I've ever seen. I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to scan and upload everything. Thanks!

Bob,

Thanks for reading my review and commenting. You are right, most folks have no idea how long it takes to upload pictures, scan & upload, then post in the CC forum.

I literally spent probably 40 hours on my trip report which included pre-writing a lot before we left (including all the web site links & pre-cruise research), writing along the way so I didn't forget details, uploading pictures when I had data or wifi available along the way & posting from the road the first week, uploading more pics to Photobucket once home, scanning 100+ documents & waiting for them to upload to Photobucket, then pulling the rest of the report & pictures over to CC and posting here. It's truly a labor of love (love of travel) to do a detailed review but something that I enjoy doing (provided someone is reading and I'm getting feedback - otherwise I feel like I've wasted my time).

This is my 3rd attempt at a good review - my first didn't have pictures and no comments so I waited several years before doing the one last year about Canada. I tend to be long-winded and I know a lot of folks don't want to invest that much time reading so now I try to include more pictures and literature that will help them plan for their cruises. Also we tend to do more varied itineraries not just the Caribbean and not the mega-ships which is where 80% of the review are.

Again, thanks for following along!

Hi Cindy,

I have a few questions

How was traffic in Juneau? We are thinking about renting a car that day.

Are the Rick Steve's bags in your picture the rolling backpacks? How did they fit in the overhead bins on the plane? I'm looking to purchase a new carry-on and I'm debating between the Rick Steve bag or an ebag.

I told my husband that you took such nice pictures of the ship that I'm going to use those pictures instead of trying to take them myself.:)

I've read quite a few reviews and yours is the only one that I am currently reading again.

Cindy,

Thank you so much for your review...I know it was time consuming, but so informative for us newbies! And I appreciate it so much! We have booked our Alaskan cruise/tour for August 2014...only our second cruise! For now I have only one question...when you were in Skagway this time or before did you do the White Pass Railway or know anything about it? Just wanted to know if it was worth it. I am a bit OCD also and NEED to know how things will work! Thank you, Thank you!

Hi Cindy,

I have a few questions

How was traffic in Juneau? We are thinking about renting a car that day.

Are the Rick Steve's bags in your picture the rolling backpacks? How did they fit in the overhead bins on the plane? I'm looking to purchase a new carry-on and I'm debating between the Rick Steve bag or an ebag.

I told my husband that you took such nice pictures of the ship that I'm going to use those pictures instead of trying to take them myself.:)

I've read quite a few reviews and yours is the only one that I am currently reading again.

Kimahri,

Traffic in Juneau was very easy... it's a small town, you'll have no problems at all.

Yes, we purchased the rolling backpack bags from Rick Steves. On the way up our bags would have fit in the overhead easily but they were asking for people to check their bags for free because there wasn't enough room so we did that to help out.

On the way back on the first leg from Vancouver to Seattle we were on a very small plane with propellers and there is no way anyone's carry-on was fitting in the overhead. They said if it has wheels of any kind it won't fit and they did a "luggage valet" service where you dropped it at the door and it was at the door when we got off. Unless you had a small backpack or computer type bag it wouldn't go overhead.

From Seattle to DFW it would have fit also but again we checked for free to help out with limited onboard room.

Thanks for the compliments about my review. Glad you enjoyed the pictures and found my information helpful.

Have a great time on your trip!

Cindy,

Thank you so much for your review...I know it was time consuming, but so informative for us newbies! And I appreciate it so much! We have booked our Alaskan cruise/tour for August 2014...only our second cruise! For now I have only one question...when you were in Skagway this time or before did you do the White Pass Railway or know anything about it? Just wanted to know if it was worth it. I am a bit OCD also and NEED to know how things will work! Thank you, Thank you!

Karrie,

So glad that my review could help you out with your Alaskan cruise/tour. We rented a car in Skagway this time because we had done the White Pass Railway the first time we were there. I would recommend the railway if you've never done it before. We did a ship sponsored tour the first time which consisted of a tour bus ride up to Carcross and included a stop at Caribou Crossing for lunch and tours of the museum and grounds. Then we rode the train back to Skagway. It's really a neat train ride with some fabulous views and a lot of interesting commentary about what you are seeing along the way.

There are also private tours available that do the same thing... not sure if they are any cheaper or not since I didn't look into it this time. However, everything else I checked on was pretty much the exact same price whether we did it independently or thru the ship. The main difference will be the size of your group (ie. whether your on a motorcoach with 50-60 people or a smaller van/bus with 12-20 people), the train portion will be the same regardless of how you get there.

You could also do the train up & motorcoach back, or possibly the train both ways. No matter which you chose you will have a fabulous time!

Then in March of this year I cashed in some RCI Visa card points to upgrade from a D2 balcony cabin to OUR FIRST EVER JUNIOR SUITE AFT BALCONY! This turned out to be a good move on our part as we will now receive DOUBLE C&A POINTS FOR THE ENTIRE 13 NIGHT CRUISE TOUR, not just the cruise portion! Even better news for us... We will FINALLY be DIAMOND at the end of this cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will be taking a 11 day Alaska cruise tour next year in a Jr Suite does that mean I will get double C&A points for the entire 11 nights? It seems I've read you only get it for the cruise portion.

When I booked our cruise I was really not too excited or interested but after reading your review it has helped so much, now I can't wait. Your review has been totally fabulous thanks again.

I will be taking a 11 day Alaska cruise tour next year in a Jr Suite does that mean I will get double C&A points for the entire 11 nights? It seems I've read you only get it for the cruise portion.

When I booked our cruise I was really not too excited or interested but after reading your review it has helped so much, now I can't wait. Your review has been totally fabulous thanks again.

Lorey,

YES - you will receive DOUBLE POINTS FOR THE ENTIRE 11 NIGHTS, not just the cruise portion!!!

I was super-excited to find this out and was still unsure if it would happen in the end. But it did! They posted my 26 points last week and now we are officially DIAMOND after only being emerald for this one cruise!!!

I'm glad that my review has ignited your interest in your Alaska cruise and given you reason to look forward to your trip!

I'm also planning my 2014 AK cruise for myself and a few family and friends. Is ISP the only tender port? My mother had a stroke and will not try to tender so I need to take that into consideration when booking tours!

What would you say were your top 3 tours in both of your Alaska trips? Specifically, which port and which tour/sightseeing?

Thanks so much, it has been so inspiring to read everything you did. I cannot pack as well as you do, but I certainly bargain shop. I'm going to be able to use points/miles to book flights, hotels in AK and in Vancouver. I'm working on collecting points for car rentals, but that is a bit slower! I can't wait to see if I can use the Toursaver BOGO for some of my tours!

I'm also planning my 2014 AK cruise for myself and a few family and friends. Is ISP the only tender port? My mother had a stroke and will not try to tender so I need to take that into consideration when booking tours!

What would you say were your top 3 tours in both of your Alaska trips? Specifically, which port and which tour/sightseeing?

Thanks so much, it has been so inspiring to read everything you did. I cannot pack as well as you do, but I certainly bargain shop. I'm going to be able to use points/miles to book flights, hotels in AK and in Vancouver. I'm working on collecting points for car rentals, but that is a bit slower! I can't wait to see if I can use the Toursaver BOGO for some of my tours!

For the ports we did (Juneau, Skagway, ISP & Ketchikan) ISP was the only tender port and it was less than a 5 minute ride to the port. You should be able to look at the itinerary online and it will show whether your ports are "docked" or "tender".

My #1 tour was the ISP Whale Watching we did this time thru Hoonah Travel Adventures - it was unbelievable how many whales we saw. First trip we did one in June in Juneau and didn't see a single whale, not a fin, tail, blow or anything... very disappointing. However these two ports both offer guaranteed whale sightings, we were just unlucky the first time.

#2 would be the White Pass Railroad in Skagway. We did it on the first trip thru the ship with a coach ride to Carcross then boarded the train for the trip back to Skagway. It was very scenic and the commentary was great.

#3 would be floatplane tour in Ketchikan to Misty Fjords Monument. The scenery is incredible and I'd never done a small plane or float plane so that added to the excitement.

#4 would be the white water rafting trip we did in Denali this year.

#5 would be the Zipline & Speed Boat tour we did the first trip thru the cruise line in Juneau.

Ok, so I can't count... I gave you my top 5. I'm sure there are a ton of other things that other people found amazing too, but these are what I've done & enjoyed.

Things I would like to do but can't afford (well probably could afford, but I'm just too cheap to spend that much money to do it) are #1 helicopter glacier landing with dogsledding, #2 Anan Creek Bear Excursion

Maybe someday when I don't have to think about having enough money for retirement, I'll bring myself to do those other things on my next trip :)

Kuddos to you for saving up all the points for the hotels, cars & plane rides. We only fly for cruises so it takes us YEARS to save up enough for a free flight... which we used last year for the Canada/New England trip... so now I'm saving them up again!

Have fun planning :)

Hello thanks for the great information and review of your Alaska planning and adventure.

I will say I wish I could pack as little as you did but being one who sweats a lot it just does not happen.

I look at vacation as a time to relax and having pre trip OCD is something I agree with 100% Planning and following the budget is key. We are sparing no expense on tours on our trip and you gave us some new ideas for some extra things to pre and during the cruise.

I am one who loves deals and I will say I am taking my 2 check bags with me because they are free (United Status Ty)

Like your husband my carry on is loaded with all of my camera equipment good thing it is on wheels.

Did the dry suits provide any warmth when you did the rafting We are doing the same tour.

The one thing I am planning to do with the exception of dinner is wear shorts all days on and off the ship I know its a weird goal but I am going for it.

Thank you again for the info and huge review glad to see people care and share info on these site

Stay low

Hello thanks for the great information and review of your Alaska planning and adventure.

I will say I wish I could pack as little as you did but being one who sweats a lot it just does not happen.

I look at vacation as a time to relax and having pre trip OCD is something I agree with 100% Planning and following the budget is key. We are sparing no expense on tours on our trip and you gave us some new ideas for some extra things to pre and during the cruise.

I am one who loves deals and I will say I am taking my 2 check bags with me because they are free (United Status Ty)

Like your husband my carry on is loaded with all of my camera equipment good thing it is on wheels.

Did the dry suits provide any warmth when you did the rafting We are doing the same tour.

The one thing I am planning to do with the exception of dinner is wear shorts all days on and off the ship I know its a weird goal but I am going for it.

Thank you again for the info and huge review glad to see people care and share info on these site

Stay low

The dry suits blocked the wind. We still had our jackets underneath, depending on when you go you may not need jackets at all. I think you can get by with shorts all day on the ship and in most ports unless you are going to a glacier or something.

BTW - the case with all the camera equipment (which is heavy) is mine, I'm the photo bug... he has the regular pack with the ipads, coats, etc. Wish my camera bag had wheels, I might have to check in to that :)

One of the best reviews I've read. Working on our Alaskan cruise. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks so much for the compliment! Enjoy your time planning your cruise, then when it gets here you will be able to relax knowing that you've plan a great trip!

Happy Sails :)

Something that I just thought about & don't think that I mentioned in my report: on the land portion, when we stayed in the Marriott in Anchorage they (Marriott) allowed us to add our Rewards number to the room so that we would receive points for the stay. Just FYI in case any of you are Marriott members.

Edited by ace1zoe2

Hoping to meet with our tour director this morning before we set off for our day in Fairbanks. I would like to get our package to look at in the car as we are driving (the OCD personality comes out yet again). I'd like to get my RCI land excursion booked before it fills up and I want to discuss leaving the tour chosen Natural History Tour in Denali for the Eielson Shuttle that we have booked. Just need to make sure that our luggage gets to our room at the lodge so we're not looking for it at 10:30pm when we finally get there!

Saturday, June 1 - Fairbanks

Our morning starts at 6:45am alarm. We left the hotel around 7:30am looking for breakfast for less than $15pp the hotel was charging ;) We ended up at McDonald's . I am posting prices just so you have an idea of the differences in prices between the mainland and Alaska. I had a egg mcmuffin that cost $3.79 and hubby had pancakes and sausage for $3.90. Apparently in Fairbanks there is no sales tax.

We arrived at RIVERBOAT DISCOVERY around 8:30 where we picked up our pre-purchased tickets using our Alaska Toursavers BOGO coupon. Instead of $59.95 per person to get in, we had paid a total of $59.95 for both of us :) This is a 3 hour tour aboard the Sternwheeler Riverboat Discovery. We learned that there are only 18 weeks per year that they can use the river because of the ice. The river freezes 3 foot deep and they drive on it like a highway.

I will also mention that the mosquitos were out in force!

Riverboat Discovery:

image_zps309c4d96.jpg

It includes a guided walking tour at the Chena Indian Village where you learn about the Athabascan Indians lives. At the end of the tour there is free time to wonder, ask questions of the guides and even meet a few dogs from the kennels of Susan Butcher.

image_zps8cdd3e09.jpg

Next there is a Bush Pilot Demonstration where you see a pilot take off and land right next to the boat. The pilot also explains the role that the bush pilot plays in the remote areas of Alaska.

image_zpsaf097fb2.jpg

There is a stop near the Susan Butcher Kennels where from the boat you view the home and kennels of the late Susan Butcher, 4 time Iditarod champion. There is a dog mushing demonstration at the end of the story telling.

image_zps0d8beacf.jpg

There is a Trading Post which offers gifts and products unique to Alaska and the Native Culture. They are supposed to have the largest selection of Alaskan souvenirs in Fairbanks.

There is also a dining hall that you can eat at afterwards but we have lots to do today so we'll be eating on the go.

For more information you can visit the Riverboat Discovery website:

http://riverboatdiscovery.com/

What is the better side of the river boat to sit on Ty

What is the better side of the river boat to sit on Ty

We sat up top at the very back left hand side (looking forward). I think when we stopped for the float plane & sled dog demonstration both were on the left. I think the fish filet demo was on the right but you end up stopping there on the way back & getting off so you can walk around and see everything.

I just like being outside so that I have unobstructed views for pictures. Plus up top you can move around the back to either side.

I am really late to this party, in fact, I missed it totally. But, I got all caught up today. Didn't get much done around the house, but this was way better than housework....:p

This was just an awesome review. You went above and beyond with all your information and tips.

Your pictures were just breathtaking. I really want to do this cruise someday, but my husband says he can do a couple cruises for the price of this one. :rolleyes: I think I better start playing the lottery. It is certainly on my "bucket list" for sure.

Thanks for taking the time and effort for us here on CC to join you on your cruise. It certainly was worthwhile. One good thing about being late to read this, is that I could read it all in one day. ;)

Now, I will go back and read your other reviews. But, that will have to wait until tomorrow. I have a stiff neck from being on the computer all day. :eek:

Thanks again,

Gwen :)

I am really late to this party, in fact, I missed it totally. But, I got all caught up today. Didn't get much done around the house, but this was way better than housework....:p

This was just an awesome review. You went above and beyond with all your information and tips.

Your pictures were just breathtaking. I really want to do this cruise someday, but my husband says he can do a couple cruises for the price of this one. :rolleyes: I think I better start playing the lottery. It is certainly on my "bucket list" for sure.

Thanks for taking the time and effort for us here on CC to join you on your cruise. It certainly was worthwhile. One good thing about being late to read this, is that I could read it all in one day. ;)

Now, I will go back and read your other reviews. But, that will have to wait until tomorrow. I have a stiff neck from being on the computer all day. :eek:

Thanks again,

Gwen :)

Gwen,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review and comment. You'll be able to get thru my other reviews quicker than this one :)

Tell your hubby that one Alaska cruise is worth giving up 2 non-Alaska cruises - its just not like anything you've done or seen before! Just majestic!

Happy Sailing!

Cindy

Whew! Started reading last night but power went out while on pg 5. Just read pages 6-33 straight through! I had already planned on only a carry-on plus backpack, so the packing light website was very helpful.

We leave next week on NCL Pearl doing the inside passage (w Glacier Bay), so I was especially interested in the Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau posts. Thanks for all your hard work. I am so excited for my cruise!

Jenny

Whew! Started reading last night but power went out while on pg 5. Just read pages 6-33 straight through! I had already planned on only a carry-on plus backpack, so the packing light website was very helpful.

We leave next week on NCL Pearl doing the inside passage (w Glacier Bay), so I was especially interested in the Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau posts. Thanks for all your hard work. I am so excited for my cruise!

Jenny

Jenny,

Thanks for taking time to read & post. Sounds like you had a marathon reading event yesterday. You will enjoy the added convenience of only one carryon and a backpack.

Have a great time on your cruise next week and be sure to pack some shorts for the heatwave!

Cindy,

I hope we will need shorts in August, as we are doing Tour #13 also. We've enjoyed reading your day-to-day log and got a lot of useful tips from you, i.e., making reservations at the Snow City Cafe, booking Hoonah Whale Watching, etc. One question I have is where do you think is the best place to purchase souvenirs, especially ones for our grandchildren. I'm not a great shopper and don't want to spend a lot of time searching. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Phyllis

Cindy,

I hope we will need shorts in August, as we are doing Tour #13 also. We've enjoyed reading your day-to-day log and got a lot of useful tips from you, i.e., making reservations at the Snow City Cafe, booking Hoonah Whale Watching, etc. One question I have is where do you think is the best place to purchase souvenirs, especially ones for our grandchildren. I'm not a great shopper and don't want to spend a lot of time searching. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Phyllis

Phyllis,

Sorry, I'm not a big souvenir person. I really only go in to look for Christmas ornaments and mostly just to Christmas stores.

Trust me there is no limit to the number of stores in each port. I think I ended up buying stuffed animals (eagle, orca, moose & husky) for my g'babies in Skagway. Found them for $5.99 each, saw the same ones earlier in several stores for $9.99 so I was happy.

Edited by ace1zoe2

Thanks so much for your excellent review. It was well worth my time to follow it. Actually, its addictive!

Thanks Hokie for taking time to follow along & comment!

Happy Cruising!