Paris Airport - taxi or train

ConnieInNewJersey

Is it easy to take the train from the airport into the center of Paris? Are there conductors on the train you can show your Paris Pass to and does the Paris Pass cover the zones from the Airport to the center? Is it better to take a taxi. If so, how much will it cost?

"Easy" would depend on your personal level of comfort and your ability to easily handle your luggage. The "train" is actually the RER which is a regional commuter train system. You would have to drag your luggage on the train and keep it with you at all times. The convenience of the RER really depends on where your hotel is located in comparison to a station. In many cases you might need to transfer to one of the underground metro lines or grab a taxi once you arrive in Paris. A taxi is obviously the easiest way, but also the most expensive. A good compromise is to arrange for a private van transfer through one of several airport/hotel transfer companies (you can Google to find these outfits). Keep in mind that the transfer companies take multiple passengers to multiple hotels so they can sometimes drive around CDG for some time until they get their load and then it can take a while in Paris until they get to your particular hotel.

Hank

If your hotel is convenient to the RER station, then the taking the train is quite easy. We stayed at a hotel about a block from the large Chatelet-Les Halles station (metro and RER) and took the train there from CDG airport on our arrival.

As already noted, it's more like a metro than a "train" -- I do not recall seeing anything like a conductor. We didn't use the Paris Pass, so I have no idea on that.

We followed the signs in the airport for the RER and just before we got there, we found a large Information Point booth with 5-6 employees helping people with getting tickets for the RER, carnets of tickets for the Metro, Museum passes, maps, etc. The person we talked to was extremely knowledgeable and a great source of info. We got our museum passes and a couple carnets of tickets there so we were ready to hit the ground sightseeing when we got into the city. I'm sure you could ask any question about using the Paris pass there.

After that, we went into the station, found our train, and boarded. I believe there are some trains that are faster (express) and some that make more stops. Ours seemed pretty efficient. The worst part was the long-ish walk inside the Chatelet-Les Halles station to get to the right street exit for our hotel (there are many exits and many metro lines!).

Taxis are easier of course, especially with much luggage. However, they are also a lot more expensive.

TAXIS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. We stayed at a hotel near the airport, and wanted to go into Paris to the Hard Rock Cafe. I had the hotel concierge call a taxi. I was quoted 40 EUR, but with traffic, it ended up costing 110 EUR, taking about an hour to make the drive.

I had bought tickets on-line for a special Halloween dinner. That darn dinner ended up costing me almost $250.

On the return at approx 10:00 pm, the cost was 40 EUR.

So be very careful just taking a taxi. I would rather have a ride pre-arranged and know the exact cost. Maybe go to your roll call and see what company others have used.

TAXIS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. We stayed at a hotel near the airport, and wanted to go into Paris to the Hard Rock Cafe. I had the hotel concierge call a taxi. I was quoted 40 EUR, but with traffic, it ended up costing 110 EUR, taking about an hour to make the drive.

I had bought tickets on-line for a special Halloween dinner. That darn dinner ended up costing me almost $250.

So be very careful just taking a taxi. I would rather have a ride pre-arranged and know the exact cost. Maybe go to your roll call and see what company others have used.

110E - OMG! I guess I will use a pre-arranged airport transfer. Thanks everyone!

110E - OMG! I guess I will use a pre-arranged airport transfer. Thanks everyone!

It all depends on when you land and are going into Paris,and where you are going. I ahve take a cab many times as well as the airport bus and thena cab to the hotel,and it has cost me me on the average of 60 euro or less.There are shred vans as well and you can find them on line they will be about 30 euro or so.If long flight and tired I really suggest a taxi or shared van.

We had a similar experience. The taxi was very expensive and on top of it several additional charges were added, not sure exactly for what, possibly a few extra euros per piece of luggage and per passenger. The driver pretended not to speak any English so we were unble to make an argument about it. We were there on business and could expense the cost, but when on vacation we always take the metro / RER.

I was in a real hurry when I posted my taxi note ( can you tell by my wonderful spelling...I never check) and I forgot to mention the MOST important part of taking a taxi in Paris...DO NOT even think of using a taxi uless it is from a taxi stand and especially at the door coming out of the airport.You will be wood and told how much cheaper etc. instead you will be robbed blind by the cost.Only use the taxis with the taxi light on top..Taxi Parisanne(sp)..they are legit.

The link below is to the section of the CDG info guide for public transportation into Paris. See if any of the options would work. It also has the RER line on that chart.

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Access-maps-car-parks/Paris-CDG/Access/public-transport/

I did a bus transfer once (it was arranged with my hubby's company) on one of the Air France busses. It was fine. Lately, I've done the combo of Metro/RER. If you pack lightly, it's a decent choice.

Archived