Weather in November for B2B2B Greek Isles, Adriatic/Greece/Turkey, and Western Med?

allisons

We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles, Eastern Mediterranean/Adriatic, Greece & Turkey, and Western Mediterranean cruise for Fall 2014. We want to choose the "best" weeks in terms of temperature not too hot or too cold, little or no rain, calm seas and smooth sailing, no missed ports, few tourists, few children, etc. We have been looking at various weeks in September and October. We are of the understanding that those are the "best" months to go. However, we're getting some feedback to consider November. We've heard mixed things about November. Some people say they've had fabulous weather in November. Other people report cold weather, rain, rough seas, missed ports, etc. We understand that weather is unpredictable and that any week can be good or bad. However, we want to choose the weeks that will have the best chances of good weather. I am in the process of reviewing the data on http://www.wunderground.com. It's helping and overwhelming me at the same time. There are several advantages for us of going November 1-22. We would save ~$2,500. We would not have to change ships. We would not have to fly from Venice to Barcelona. We would not have to worry about choosing between avoiding travel over the Jewish High Holy Days or being on cruises then, choosing between being at sea vs in a port for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, etc. We would not have to worry about being away prior to a bat mitzvah that I am officiating on October 25th and when I would schedule the rehearsals, etc. However, our primary concern is picking the "best" weeks weather-wise, and we can work all of that other stuff around those decisions. Therefore, we'd like any and all feedback based on your experiences of cruising the Mediterranean in November. Specifically, your experiences cruising the Eastern Mediterranean ~November 1-15 and the Western Mediterranean ~November 15-22. Thank you so much!

If you reread your question - I think you know the answer. You will never have the best weather in November in the Med. What you do get is less crowds and cheaper prices. And, it seems the November dates work better for you. I've done three med cruises in November - so obviously it doesn't bother us.

That said here are some examples of what you may encounter.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/mediterranean-storm-tempest-in/57519

This storm knocked out the dock in Villefrance. Our port was changed to Cannes just before we left. Had a wonderful warm sunny day for our port day. Note - the above storm did substantial damage in Cinque Terre.

Now onto Venice....Aqua Alta. Could happen - but might not. We had decent weather - with some minor flooding in St. Marks. But - here's what it can possibly be like at it's worst.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900-1&sz=all&va=aqua+alta Well I guess those aren't the worst pictures I've seen - have seen one of someone waterskiing in St. Marks.

Have lucked out in Rome on all occasions. Only our first cruise had a day that was rainy for at least half the day (Genoa). Fought some rain in Dubrovnik on second cruise - but it didn't spoil day. Florence was cold. Last cruise was a holylands (pretty far south) and great weather. But, even Rome was nice.

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you to "roll the dice'.

If you reread your question - I think you know the answer. You will never have the best weather in November in the Med. What you do get is less crowds and cheaper prices. And, it seems the November dates work better for you. I've done three med cruises in November - so obviously it doesn't bother us.

That said here are some examples of what you may encounter.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/mediterranean-storm-tempest-in/57519

This storm knocked out the dock in Villefrance. Our port was changed to Cannes just before we left. Had a wonderful warm sunny day for our port day. Note - the above storm did substantial damage in Cinque Terre.

Now onto Venice....Aqua Alta. Could happen - but might not. We had decent weather - with some minor flooding in St. Marks. But - here's what it can possibly be like at it's worst.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900-1&sz=all&va=aqua+alta Well I guess those aren't the worst pictures I've seen - have seen one of someone waterskiing in St. Marks.

Have lucked out in Rome on all occasions. Only our first cruise had a day that was rainy for at least half the day (Genoa). Fought some rain in Dubrovnik on second cruise - but it didn't spoil day. Florence was cold. Last cruise was a holylands (pretty far south) and great weather. But, even Rome was nice.

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you to "roll the dice'.

You're right! I do know the answer! November is out of the question for us! Thank you for helping confirm that for me!

I've tried to answer your question on the various board where you have posted them.

I would go in April or very early May or in mid to late September or very early October.

Keith

You've been so helpful! You're the best! Unfortunately, April/early May is not an option for us. The earliest we could go in the spring is May 24-June 15. We do have September 13-October 5 booked.

I think you've made the right decision for you & your family, if weather is your primary concern, then Nov/Dec (which we love) won't work for you, we've had weather from gorgeous to rainy/stormy & lots of wind... but it's worth it for us with the lack of crowds & heat. Hope you have a great time!

I think you've made the right decision for you & your family, if weather is your primary concern, then Nov/Dec (which we love) won't work for you, we've had weather from gorgeous to rainy/stormy & lots of wind... but it's worth it for us with the lack of crowds & heat. Hope you have a great time!

I wouldn't say weather is our primary concern. But it's a very big one. We wouldn't want a substantial risk of rainy/stormy and lots of wind. However the $2,500 savings and ability to stay on one ship the entire time make it very tempting.

Archived