Homestyle Dinner Items

vandalayceo

Just an observation from recent cruise, seems definition of homestyle has become quite"flexible".

Initially when introduced items were of all meatloaf, fried chicken, etc. category.

These still show up, but noticed also Chicken Saltimbocca,Jerk Chicken and several others on some nights in this category that were more ethnic/quasi exotic than the other items.

These of course can be considered "homestyle" if your home is Italy or Jamaica.

Other times something like braised short ribs will be in this category one night, but in the main line up another night.

Not a complaint, just idle curiosity whether any one else has noticed this.:)

Just an observation from recent cruise, seems definition of homestyle has become quite"flexible".

Initially when introduced items were of all meatloaf, fried chicken, etc. category.

These still show up, but noticed also Chicken Saltimbocca,Jerk Chicken and several others on some nights in this category that were more ethnic/quasi exotic than the other items.

These of course can be considered "homestyle" if your home is Italy or Jamaica.

Other times something like braised short ribs will be in this category one night, but in the main line up another night.

Not a complaint, just idle curiosity whether any one else has noticed this.:)

The meatloaf is anything except homestyle!!!:(

Pax et bonum,

Kevin

Since cruises draw an International clientele, home style might not be limited to Americans favorite. My first meatloaf was at the age of 30 even thought I was raised in the US. Meatloaf to be is still a 'foreign' item.

More often than not, when an Italian chef, assisted by cooks from India and the Phillipines, whip up "home style meatloaf", it won't be as good as mama used to make back home in Mobile, Wichita, or Dallas.

On our last cruise I ordered a Texas Flatiron Steak thinking I might get a taste of home. Next time I will go with the fettuccine Alfredo and order a Texas style steak when I return to, um, Texas.

Carnival Corp. has brought those over from Carnival ship menus. IMO it is an attempt to decrease food costs. They weren't very good on my last cruise and I wouldn't order them again.
Not sure where you heard this as Carnival Corp. has no say when it comes to Princess menus. Carnival Corp. & Plc is a holding company.

Many of these items have been available for years on the kid's menu. With more and more people cruising who have never left the US before, demand has increased for more "familiar" menu items.

I was on a cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago and happened to sit with a woman with a Southern accent complain about "the weird South American" food onboard. When I asked what she meant, she said, "The lamb."

Personally, I've tried the Mac 'n Cheese and the meatloaf, and while food is subjective, they were awful. The Mac 'n Cheese was watery and bland, and the meatloaf was gray (as though it had been steamed.)

Not sure where you heard this as Carnival Corp. has no say when it comes to Princess menus. Carnival Corp. & Plc is a holding company.

Many of these items have been available for years on the kid's menu. With more and more people cruising who have never left the US before, demand has increased for more "familiar" menu items.

I was on a cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago and happened to sit with a woman with a Southern accent complain about "the weird South American" food onboard.When I asked what she meant, she said, "The lamb."

Personally, I've tried the Mac 'n Cheese and the meatloaf, and while food is subjective, they were awful. The Mac 'n Cheese was watery and bland, and the meatloaf was gray (as though it had been steamed.)

That's funny.

Locally sourced lamb from Patagonia is as good as it gets, as is locally sourced beef from Uruguay or Argentina.

She might have had a point if the ship served chinchulines (grilled lamb small intestine), a local favorite but without much appeal to people from other regions.

Give me Patagonian lamb any day over the "homestyle" mac and cheese. And given the choice between chinchulines and the meatloaf, well, I think I'd go with the chinchulines.

This approach... seems to be the way is on most main stream lines these day.

I think the idea of "home style" appeals because most younger folks don't cook at home at all these days. It is also an attempt to keep food costs down.

We cooked a lot at home, from a generation that cooks, the 65+ crowd. We enjoy the short ribs when offerred because that is not something we take the time to cook at home. So it is a rare treat on a ship, not that healthy to eat very much. Otherwise we stick to the fish and vegetables which is what we cook at home.

We just got of the NCL Jade, all of their food items were homestyle. Some I did not even recognize and did not try. We kept it simple, made sandwiches from the buffet most days ourselves doing a late lunch and skipped dinner. We were in the Mediterranean... our body clocks were off so a late lunch worked fine. Did the same thing on the Ruby in the Carribbean a year ago, except we went to Sabatini's when we wanted a late night dinner a few nights.

We tried the home style meatloaf on the Grand. I think it was "America Night" and the meatloaf was really bland. It's amazing to me that some of their staple appetizers and such like the blue onion soup,the escargot or fish dishes are phenomenal but other dishes "miss the boat".

Archived