Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Glad you got that reply. So it sounds like we were right, they'll build part of Anthem then float it out the way when Quantum is ready. Reckon it will be Anthems Bow as that will make it easier to temp seal the blocks open at the back to float it out

Yes. Hopefully no more confusion!

Glad we've finally figured out what Royal Caribbean is doing with all things that float!

RCIfloat_zps8765ab0d.png

Glad you got that reply. So it sounds like we were right, they'll build part of Anthem then float it out the way when Quantum is ready. Reckon it will be Anthems Bow as that will make it easier to temp seal the blocks open at the back to float it out

While that would make a really neat visual (sisters nose to nose), I suspect that the back third of a ship is easier to float than the front third

Oh well. At least it created some great posts in two different threads!

Speaking of photos, I am waiting to hear back from a blogger who may have some from a business meeting tour (? if translated properly) from late October or early November.

Agree with you both on the promenade.

Saw a photo on Instagram a while back that didn't show much of the Quantum build, but I recently came upon more photos associated with it. Turns out it was photos of a tour given to Ferchau Engineering on October 10th. One of the photos gives a glimpse of the build's elusive blocks at the end of the basin.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11d_zps6c5d2f93.jpg

Anyhow, here's a few more photos from that tour. Good photography.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11_zpsc44e823f.jpg

FERCHAUEngineering_October11e_zps52845b6a.jpg

FERCHAUEngineering_October11b_zps85764b03.jpg

TwitterFERCHAUEngineering_October11_zps31ef9dde.jpg

I think that this runs the ice-cream machines by the kids' pool.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11f_zps63410569.jpg

Just as I posted the last comment, something else popped up in my email.

Here's a video related to the on October 11 2013 FERCHAU tour photos above:

Edited by Lloyd555

If Meyer Werft actually follows the block diagram that's been posted, then looking at the build so far - and what few pics there are of the end of the build near the end of the basin so far - I think it's possible that the stern block* hasn't been layed down yet. Now, it could just be bad camera angles, and (1) all the first six 'columns' of blocks from stern to the hump are there, and (2) there is in fact room to add the stern block if it's not there yet. As mentioned, it would make more sense to start with the stern and build forward toward the NCL Getaway.

As for moving the huge existing build. Yipes. I've watched a few time lapse youtube videos in the past, and it's been done by floating and by laying some sort of track (correct term?) under the keel.

We'll find out soon enough. It was Tough as Leather's question that got me thinking about the logistics of it all. Too much time on my hands with the family away visiting grandma!!! :D

* In the block diagram, its the salmon(?) colored one below the dark blue colored Two70 block.

Speaking of photos, I am waiting to hear back from a blogger who may have some from a business meeting tour (? if translated properly) from late October or early November.

I heard back from that blogger who attached this one photo. I don’t know that she took it herself, but instead the administrator that she was visiting took it (? Google translator did the best it could!).

Anyhow, just one photo, but a good one – the aft keel of the Quantum of the Seas, I assume?! I would think that this relates to what Cutesy Pie (Love that name! :D) was commenting on. The missing salmon coloured block?

Quantumkeelaftblock_zpscddc64d1.jpg

Which goes under this block …

Quantum_of_the_Seas_Two70_1_zpsf406ae80.jpg

… and behind this last block in the basin …

October11FERCHAUVIDEO_1_zps4dae3cfa.jpg

If Meyer Werft actually follows the block diagram that's been posted, then looking at the build so far - and what few pics there are of the end of the build near the end of the basin so far - I think it's possible that the stern block* hasn't been layed down yet. Now, it could just be bad camera angles, and (1) all the first six 'columns' of blocks from stern to the hump are there, and (2) there is in fact room to add the stern block if it's not there yet. As mentioned, it would make more sense to start with the stern and build forward toward the NCL Getaway.

As for moving the huge existing build. Yipes. I've watched a few time lapse youtube videos in the past, and it's been done by floating and by laying some sort of track (correct term?) under the keel.

We'll find out soon enough. It was Tough as Leather's question that got me thinking about the logistics of it all. Too much time on my hands with the family away visiting grandma!!! :D

* In the block diagram, its the salmon(?) colored one below the dark blue colored Two70 block.

I heard back from that blogger who attached this one photo. I don’t know that she took it herself, but instead the administrator that she was visiting took it (? Google translator did the best it could!).

Anyhow, just one photo, but a good one – the aft keel of the Quantum of the Seas, I assume?! I would think that this relates to what Cutesy Pie Lover (Love that name! :D) was commenting on. The missing salmon coloured block?

… and behind this last block (bottom left corner of photo) at the far end of the basin …

Photo - screen grab courtesy FERCHAU Engineering's YouTube video

Did I get that right, Cutesy Pie?

What do you all think?

Edited by Lloyd555

Anyhow, just one photo, but a good one – the aft keel of the Quantum of the Seas, I assume?! I would think that this relates to what Cutesy Pie Lover (Love that name! :D) was commenting on. The missing salmon coloured block?

… and behind this last block (bottom left corner of photo) at the far end of the basin …

Photo - screen grab courtesy FERCHAU Engineering's YouTube video

Did I get that right, Cutesy Pie?

What do you all think?

Looks good to me. Those 2 openings must be for the azipod footings/supports. Never seen that before.

Here is the block plan (borrowed from another posting) again as a reminder --

blockplan1.jpg

Thank goodness for this thread because otherwise I have no reason to visit Cruise Critic. No cruises coming up :(.

Edited by Cutesy Pie Lover

Looks good to me. Those 2 openings must be for the azipod footings/supports. Never seen that before.

Thank goodness for this thread because otherwise I have no reason to visit Cruise Critic. No cruises coming up :(.

I second that comment. This has been the most interesting thread over the past several months.

How do they plan on floating the quantum out if they are building the athem in front of it?

See post 594 and 596 two pages back. Basically the portion of Anthem built when Quantum is ready will be floated out first, then Quantum will be floated out of the building dock. Then Anthem will be towed back into the building dock to be completed. Supposedly this has been done before at Meyer Werft.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Watched the online clip of Genevieve Gorder on the Racheal Ray show to see if we learn or see ANYTHING(!) new. Liked the shot of her by the block taken a while back.

QofSblockonRachelRaeshow_zps87e0121d.png

Photo courtesy screen grab from November 25 2013 episode of Rachael Ray TV show

Edited by Lloyd555

Nope.

2013_11_25_Halle_6_W466.jpg

2013_11_25_Halle_5_W466.jpg

Hmmm

But what's in the "bag"? In the second picture.

I was watching Rachel Ray's show yesterday but didn't see what you captured. Maybe they stuck in a commercial. It's Christmastime in NY.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk