Viking Cruises: Update on Central Europe Flood Impact

Viking Cruises

Viking, your posting on this board and information on your US website is excellent.

I accept that it is difficult to get the right balance as some want the "Just reassure me that you will do what you can" line & some (like me) want to understand all of the details.

From my point of view, information such as the Slovak lock are useful to publish even when they are unclear as you are in a better position than most to give us information & more importantly to interpret it.

You state

<<In Germany, between the cities of Regensburg and Passau, the water levels of the Danube River are still comparatively high. Depending on sailing schedules, this many cause some possible delays in the coming days and we will continue to monitor the situation and make any minor itinerary alterations, as needed. >>,

whereas from other sources we are told

<<Regensburg to Passau: Closed without indication of reopening.>> What is the position here and have any of your boats got through this section.

Again, thanks for the information, the more you share the more we will trust you in the future.

I am booked with Avalon UK for Budapest - Amsterdam on the 3rd July & all we are told is <<Water levels are now starting to drop and cruising programmes are beginning to return to normal however, there may be some changes to the programme or planned itineraries. We continue to monitor the situation very closely. Should we be advised of any changes to future bookings, then our teams will be pro-actively contacting those customers directly affected. Normal Booking Conditions apply>>

I do not like being treated like a mushroom & much prefer the openess of Viking.

Edited by davidrw

Thank you for your response to me personally and for addressing some of the other posts recently.

Hi Herbaru,

We do understand your concern. Here’s what we can tell you tonight: there is not, as of yet, an official statement from the Slovak authorities on the lock at Gabcikovo. Apparently, the electrical system has sustained some damage and the closure and its duration have not been officially confirmed. Right now it’s late at night here in the States and very early in the morning in Slovakia, so our expectation is that by tomorrow afternoon (in the States) an official statement will be issued and we will know better what, if any, affect it will have on some of our itineraries (including yours).

We will provide another update here on this situation as soon as there is new information to share. And will maintain the regular updates on our website, too: www.vrc.com/weatherupdate. If you have any additional questions or concerns before your departure, you can also contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Most sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Thanks for your reply and good wishes Viking. Yes, my error associating the Nico Tours (if that was the one that someone forgot to lower the awnings on the top deck) with Viking. I just remember seeing chairs, etc on the deck all over the place. Reread friends message "hit bridge, backed out". I was sure it was nothing serious or he wouldn't have made a joke of it.

Yes, I agree with David and others. Thank you, Viking, for the better updates over the last twenty-four hours. They contain useful information and feel less like the static defensive legal information offered over the last week. The Sunday Nuremberg departure specifically was less ambiguous. Information, even incorrect information, travels very fast these days and if there are no updates to the official news for days then tense customers get more tense.

I am very surprised that there are no regular Email updates to upcoming cruise customers (with or without complications to the schedules). This would be an easy way to make the experience more comfortable for your customers.

From Uniworld's facebook page.

MPORTANT NOTICE

Updated message on June 13, 12:00 p.m. PDT

We have an update on the following two cruises that we’d like to share with you:

June 16, 2013 sailing of the River Ambassador, Highlights of Eastern Europe, Vienna to Belgrade

Regretfully, the above referenced sailing has been canceled due to the closure of the lower Danube River south of Budapest that has just occurred as well as the closure of the Gabcikovo Lock between Budapest and Bratislava for repairs. The lock is expected to reopen on June 19.

As a result neither the River Empress nor the River Ambassador can be in Vienna for embarkation on June 16, and we have no other alternate vessel available. We are processing a full refund and offering a $500 per person Future Cruise Credit valid on another Uniworld Europe or Russia River Cruise in 2013, 2014 or 2015. We are in the process right now of contacting all bookings affected by this cancellation

June 16, 2013 sailing of the River Beatrice, Enchanting Danube, Budapest to Passau

This sailing is currently scheduled to operate though the potential exists for sailing schedule deviations to occur. Contingency plans are in place if needed.

Thanks once again to our guests and travel agent partners for your continued patience and understanding. It is truly appreciated.

Austria: Altenwörth Lock

According to the Austrian authorities, the Altenwörth lock, which is located on the Danube River between the cities of Vienna and Melk, was damaged during the recent flood. The lock is currently closed for repairs and is scheduled to reopen on June 20, 2013. Depending on sailing schedules, this closure may cause delays for those who are scheduled to be sailing in the area around June 20th, or may require switching of sister ships for those who are scheduled to be in the area before it reopens.

Germany: Danube River Between Regensburg and Passau

Conditions continue to improve along the Rhine, Main, Main-Danube Canal, and most areas of the Danube. In Germany, between the cities of Regensburg and Passau, the water levels of the Danube River are still comparatively high. Depending on sailing schedules, this may cause some possible delays in the coming days and we will continue to monitor the situation and make any minor itinerary alterations, as needed.

Austria: Altenwörth Lock

According to the Austrian authorities, the Altenwörth lock, which is located on the Danube River between the cities of Vienna and Melk, was damaged during the recent flood. The lock is currently closed for repairs and is scheduled to reopen on June 20, 2013. Depending on sailing schedules, this closure may cause delays for those who are scheduled to be sailing in the area around June 20th, or may require switching of sister ships for those who are scheduled to be in the area before it reopens.

Germany: Danube River Between Regensburg and Passau

Conditions continue to improve along the Rhine, Main, Main-Danube Canal, and most areas of the Danube. In Germany, between the cities of Regensburg and Passau, the water levels of the Danube River are still comparatively high. Depending on sailing schedules, this may cause some possible delays in the coming days and we will continue to monitor the situation and make any minor itinerary alterations, as needed.

Viking have a large fleet and will no doubt be using a ship swap to get around the lock closure. As to the Danube river, the German water authorities web site gives an hour by hour update on the code status of the river at these points. In all instances where it is currently orange or yellow, it is predicted to go down to green by tomorrow - Saturday or Sunday. I am sailing on 22 June and I dont expect there to be major problems. And if there are, Im confident Viking will get round them with ship swaps.

remydiva: how do you know the reopening date of Altenwörth Lock? http://www.doris.bmvit.gv.at/streckensperren/StreckensperrenHome_de.html says it is going to be closed without further notice..

Remydiva was quoting the Viking website. The Viking rep also mentioned that date further back in this post.

Edited by davidrw

I also want to add my thanks to Viking for posting regular updates. We leave next Sunday for Budapest, and board the Viking Freya (or whatever ship is in the area) on June 26th for our first river cruise. Can't wait for our adventure to begin.

My husband and I are booked on the last Elbe River cruise in June. We are doing the add on for both Berlin and Prague. This is our 49th cruise but we have never been to any of the cities on this itinerary. I check the Viking website every day but I was so happy to see Cruise Critic's update today. It looks like by the time we get there the clean-up will be mostly done and attractions open. Thanks Cruise Critic!

Dear Hubaru,

We wanted to follow-up again on your concern regarding the Gabcikovo Lock and whether or not it will have an affect an any Viking sailings, including your June 16 Danube Waltz cruise sailing from Budapest to Passau.

Slovak authorities have confirmed that the electrical system of the Gabcikovo Lock sustained some damage and is temporarily closed for repairs. Lock operations in the upstream direction will resume on Saturday, June 15 and therefore the closure is not expected to affect any Viking sailings departing from Budapest this weekend. The downstream side will likely require a slightly longer closure, but Viking sailings departing from Nuremberg this weekend will not be in the area for another week and therefore we do not expect these sailings to be affected either.

Thank you for your patience as we awaited official confirmation. If you have any other questions or concerns, you can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

Viking can you please respond to this posting?

Is this another lock closed that will effect the June 16 Danube Waltz Cruise???

As stated on Uniwords website;

"closure of the Gabcikovo Lock between Budapest and Bratislava for repairs. The lock is expected to reopen on June 19. "

Dear Hubaru,

We wanted to follow-up again on your concern regarding the Gabcikovo Lock and whether or not it will have an affect an any Viking sailings, including your June 16 Danube Waltz cruise sailing from Budapest to Passau.

Slovak authorities have confirmed that the electrical system of the Gabcikovo Lock sustained some damage and is temporarily closed for repairs. Lock operations in the upstream direction will resume on Saturday, June 15 and therefore the closure is not expected to affect any Viking sailings departing from Budapest this weekend. The downstream side will likely require a slightly longer closure, but Viking sailings departing from Nuremberg this weekend will not be in the area for another week and therefore we do not expect these sailings to be affected either.

Thank you for your patience as we awaited official confirmation. If you have any other questions or concerns, you can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

This detailed reply, the outstanding customer service and personal approach Viking has taken on these boards during the recent events in Central Europe, is something to behold.

I'm incredibly impressed, and can't wait to get back onboard with Viking in just seven days time. Yep, im counting sleeps!

Dear Viking

In an earlier posting you say "6. June 16th Grand European Tour (Budapest to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Skadi — This cruise will now begin on sister ship Viking Embla (Longship, built 2013). There is a possibility that the Altenwörth lock will affect Viking Skadi’s ability to continue sailing on the Danube River. It is expected that a ship switch will take place with Viking Skadi on June 26. After which the cruise itinerary will continue as originally planned. We anticipate that a full-day excursion to Heidelberg will take the place of originally scheduled sailing time. While guests are in Heidelberg, their belongings will be transferred to Viking Skadi, to which they will return after the excursion "

We are due on board Viking Skadi in Amsterdam on 30th June. Do you anticipate that the ship will have reached Amsterdam by that date please

Dear Hubaru,

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

Thanks for the follow up! Now if you could do your magic on the other dock!

I cannot join in with the adulation over Viking's issuing of info. I still have nothing about the next Elbe cruise (sails on 23rd but I set out on Wednesday for airport and Berlin extension). See my post no 61 above.

Sailings on 16th and 9th were cancelled, so the trip is uncertain.

David Fuller

Dear David,

Apologies for the delay in response. Water levels on the stretch of the Elbe River where we sail have been receding and we still plan to operate your cruise as scheduled. Should there be any changes to the status of your sailing we will let you and the rest of your fellow guests know ahead of time.

We hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns.

Very best,

Viking Cruises

I cannot join in with the adulation over Viking's issuing of info. I still have nothing about the next Elbe cruise (sails on 23rd but I set out on Wednesday for airport and Berlin extension). See my post no 61 above.

Sailings on 16th and 9th were cancelled, so the trip is uncertain.

David Fuller

Viking

Any chance of a response to this please

Dear Viking

In an earlier posting you say "6. June 16th Grand European Tour (Budapest to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Skadi — This cruise will now begin on sister ship Viking Embla (Longship, built 2013). There is a possibility that the Altenwörth lock will affect Viking Skadi’s ability to continue sailing on the Danube River. It is expected that a ship switch will take place with Viking Skadi on June 26. After which the cruise itinerary will continue as originally planned. We anticipate that a full-day excursion to Heidelberg will take the place of originally scheduled sailing time. While guests are in Heidelberg, their belongings will be transferred to Viking Skadi, to which they will return after the excursion "

We are due on board Viking Skadi in Amsterdam on 30th June. Do you anticipate that the ship will have reached Amsterdam by that date please

Edited by heathcharnock

Hi heathercharnock,

Sorry about that... Yes, we expect Viking Skadi to be the ship you embark in Amsterdam. We hope you love Viking Skadi along with her warm and welcoming crew!

Wishing you a wonderful trip,

Viking Cruises

Viking

Any chance of a response to this please

Dear Viking

The friends I had mentioned above had another "episode" this morning but the CD finally had a meeting with the passengers and compensation offered is unbelievable. Excellent response from Viking. I'm not getting into the details as it isn't my place. If all the cruise lines offer similar or even close I can't imagine unhappy customers.

I just returned from a nightmare experience with Viking River Cruises, so all of you thinking that Viking is reputable, best to beware. I, too, thought they were reputable. I had cruised w/ them twice before. I was on the June 2nd Grand European, Amsterdam to Budapest. Please see my post, "Deceived by Viking River Cruises".

I left the ship on June 7th, after being lied to for over a week about conditions & itinerary changes which totally changed our cruise. Should you decide to continue on a similar cruise this summer, be aware that these cities have been devastated by unprecedented flooding. In many areas, the worst flooding in over 500 years. Expect long days in bus caravans, totally revamped itineraries, ship transfers, hotel stays, regularly scheduled docks to be either under water or not yet repaired (so don't be surprised by being docked in industrial zones w/ shuttles into the city). Do not expect the river cruise you paid for.

Viking has told us we will receive a credit for the "unused portion" of our trip. I am not interested in any kind of credit. I have requested a total refund. I will continue to post on how Viking responds to this. If they do not make this right, they have certainly lost many repeat and first-time cruisers.

I just returned from a nightmare experience with Viking River Cruises, so all of you thinking that Viking is reputable, best to beware. I, too, thought they were reputable. I had cruised w/ them twice before. I was on the June 2nd Grand European, Amsterdam to Budapest. Please see my post, "Deceived by Viking River Cruises".

I left the ship on June 7th, after being lied to for over a week about conditions & itinerary changes which totally changed our cruise. Should you decide to continue on a similar cruise this summer, be aware that these cities have been devastated by unprecedented flooding. In many areas, the worst flooding in over 500 years. Expect long days in bus caravans, totally revamped itineraries, ship transfers, hotel stays, regularly scheduled docks to be either under water or not yet repaired (so don't be surprised by being docked in industrial zones w/ shuttles into the city). Do not expect the river cruise you paid for.

Viking has told us we will receive a credit for the "unused portion" of our trip. I am not interested in any kind of credit. I have requested a total refund. I will continue to post on how Viking responds to this. If they do not make this right, they have certainly lost many repeat and first-time cruisers.

This is a very disturbing report. But I wonder if Viking is the only company that did not disclose conditions to their passengers as they began those cruises that were most impacted the first week in June. As other travelers return home, perhaps they will post their experiences during that chaotic time.