RCCL VISA Points Strategy

I'm due to hit 125,000 points on my RCCL VISA soon. I plan to redeem the points for a cruise on Freedom of the Seas and pay the difference for an upgrade to a balcony cabin. But I've noticed there are Category X - Balcony Guarantees that are offered now for about $500 less. To make the most of my points, should I book a D or E assigned balcony now or take my chances with a guaranteed balcony?

I'm due to hit 125,000 points on my RCCL VISA soon. I plan to redeem the points for a cruise on Freedom of the Seas and pay the difference for an upgrade to a balcony cabin. But I've noticed there are Category X - Balcony Guarantees that are offered now for about $500 less. To make the most of my points, should I book a D or E assigned balcony now or take my chances with a guaranteed balcony?

Your 125K points are worth whatever the value of the least expensive available oceanview stateroom at the time you redeem the points. The max value is $2500, or the cost of the stateroom you book, whichever is less. So compare the price of the OV (or the max value) vs. the prices of the staterooms you are considering and you should have your answer.

Edited by clarea

You want to make sure you apply your coupon when the OV cabins are at a high value (ignore the cost of the balcony). The coupon doesn't care if you pay to upgrade or how much a balcony costs, it only matters what the LOWEST OV cabin costs at the time you apply the coupon, not the time you book.

How much time do I have to apply the coupon after points are redeemed? That is, could I hold onto the coupon for a few months before deciding which cruise I want to apply it to? I just want to get the most bang for the buck. Thanks to all!

How much time do I have to apply the coupon after points are redeemed? That is, could I hold onto the coupon for a few months before deciding which cruise I want to apply it to? I just want to get the most bang for the buck. Thanks to all!

You get the coupon online now and it is applied directly to your account within a few days. It is very easy.

I like to apply redemptions for discounts before final payment date, but I've read that people have applied after final and then get a refund to their credit card. If you want to delay application until after final, then I suggest you call Royal Redemptions at 888-305-4626 and find out the limits. One note of caution because I had this happen to me. If you discuss your plans with them, and give them your cruise info, they may put a quote in your file for the current price of the OV. Later, when you want to apply your points, they will use that quote, even though the price of the OV may have increased.

Edited by clarea

I like to apply redemptions for discounts before final payment date, but I've read that people have applied after final and then get a refund to their credit card. If you want to delay application until after final, then I suggest you call Royal Redemptions at 888-305-4626 and find out the limits. One note of caution because I had this happen to me. If you discuss your plans with them, and give them your cruise info, they may put a quote in your file for the current price of the OV. Later, when you want to apply your points, they will use that quote, even though the price of the OV may have increased.

That's good information! Please pardon my naivete, this will be my first opportunity to use my points.

We just did this for the first time on our July EOS cruise. We did the online redeemption on a Saturday and it was posted on Tuesday (just before final payment). We were trying to max out the benefit as well and it worked out great. We ended up paying an extra $10pp. I did it this way because I've read if you pay at least $1 out of pocket for the room (excluding port fees and taxes) you get the Nights at Sea credit as well. The whole process was very easy. We cruise mostly during the summer so maxing out the benefit will not be much of a problem. We did 50K on a 3 night.

We just did this for the first time on our July EOS cruise. We did the online redeemption on a Saturday and it was posted on Tuesday (just before final payment). We were trying to max out the benefit as well and it worked out great. We ended up paying an extra $10pp. I did it this way because I've read if you pay at least $1 out of pocket for the room (excluding port fees and taxes) you get the Nights at Sea credit as well. The whole process was very easy. We cruise mostly during the summer so maxing out the benefit will not be much of a problem. We did 50K on a 3 night.

Good for you! Is the Nights at Sea credit the same as Cruise Credits? I've heard that we don't earn Cruise Credits when we've deemed points.

I'm actually trying to decide between reducing the cost of the cruise or using the points for onboard credit.

I'm thinking if I use it for onboard credit, that would transfer if my cruise would happen to be canceled by RCCL if the ship repair isn't done in time.

I'm actually trying to decide between reducing the cost of the cruise or using the points for onboard credit.

I'm thinking if I use it for onboard credit, that would transfer if my cruise would happen to be canceled by RCCL if the ship repair isn't done in time.

Another consideration is if you use a travel agent. If you use points to reduce the fare, the travel agent may get less commission, and then lower the perks they give you. If you use the points for OBC, it does not affect the travel agent.

OBC is a 1% reward, so is reducing just the price of the cruise. If using points for a room upgrade like the cost of Inside to OV is more, then use that!

Alaska I used 15k points for an inside-OV credit, which is max $300. Although I earned those 15k points by paying off my Feb cruise at 3x and buying groceries and gift cards for 2x points during the promotions. So my effective worth of a $300 credit for 15k points was 4-6%.

I will use the rest as OBC though.

The RCCL visa is too much thinking. Try the Capital One card. It is very simple, you get 2% of what you spend. You can pick what cabin you want just like you are paying with your credit card. When the bill comes you pay with your points. If you use your points for any kind of travel it always comes out to 2%. I have a business which has large purchases, I get a free cruise every year. I use the card for every purchase.

The RCCL visa is too much thinking. Try the Capital One card. It is very simple, you get 2% of what you spend. You can pick what cabin you want just like you are paying with your credit card. When the bill comes you pay with your points. If you use your points for any kind of travel it always comes out to 2%. I have a business which has large purchases, I get a free cruise every year. I use the card for every purchase.

If get offers from Capital One all the time, and it seems each offer is talking about a different card. It's confusing. Something called Venture was offered in the mail yesterday. Does the one you mention above have any other name besides Capital One?

I have two capital one cards. One is the Venture card which I use for all my personal use, I think it has a 50.00 a year fee. Sounds like a lot but well worth it for me. I also have a capital one signature card which they don't offer any longer, I use this for business expenses. You can transfer points from one account to the other. They both are good for 2% travel.

I have two capital one cards. One is the Venture card which I use for all my personal use, I think it has a 50.00 a year fee. Sounds like a lot but well worth it for me. I also have a capital one signature card which they don't offer any longer, I use this for business expenses. You can transfer points from one account to the other. They both are good for 2% travel.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

I also have the Royal visa, but i don't use it. I just signed up for the sign up OBC. If travel is your goal the Capital one card is the way to go. I did all the research over and over again.

We only use the Royal Visa for Royal expenditures. If you pick the the right redemptions, you can get up to 4% back on Royal expenditures using the Royal Visa card.

Edited by clarea

I have booked a cruise for January 2015 on Quantum, and plan to have significantly more points accrued to use toward the cost of the cruise by final payment. What happens if all of the Oceanview staterooms are sold out? How do they determine the value of the points?

I have booked a cruise for January 2015 on Quantum, and plan to have significantly more points accrued to use toward the cost of the cruise by final payment. What happens if all of the Oceanview staterooms are sold out? How do they determine the value of the points?

You may want to call RCL to vertify but I believe that if there are no oceanview cabins available then you cannot use it for that cruise. You would have to wait until some become available.

I just called the redemption people yesterday. My situation is that I won't have enough points for my reward until *after* I pay in full for the cruise. I was told I could pay, then when my credit card statement closed and the points were posted, I could call to redeem. At that point, they would issue a credit to my credit card.

They said that at the time I made my reservation/payment, the TA would need to call RCCL to say that they would agree to the future credit I'd be receiving. They would also get a quote for the OV cabin at that point (not at the time I redeem the points), and that fare amount would be noted in my reservation.

They did say that if there are no OV cabins available at the time of booking, then I wouldn't be able to use the award.

Hope this helps.

I just called the redemption people yesterday. My situation is that I won't have enough points for my reward until *after* I pay in full for the cruise. I was told I could pay, then when my credit card statement closed and the points were posted, I could call to redeem. At that point, they would issue a credit to my credit card.

They said that at the time I made my reservation/payment, the TA would need to call RCCL to say that they would agree to the future credit I'd be receiving. They would also get a quote for the OV cabin at that point (not at the time I redeem the points), and that fare amount would be noted in my reservation.

They did say that if there are no OV cabins available at the time of booking, then I wouldn't be able to use the award.

Hope this helps.

Thank you good luck and have a great weekend.