How much time to check-in at Gatwick?

We are flying home to the U.S. from Gatwick and would like to know how much in advance we need to be at the airport. There is a train that gets to the airport just shy of 2 hours before our scheduled departure, is that enough time? How big is the airport, and how far away is the train station from check-in? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Gatwick station is actually in the airport, in the South Terminal. Allow 10 - 15 mins if you need the free shuttle (takes under 4 mins) to North Terminal.

For most long-haul flights, check-ins usually close 60 or 90 minutes ahead of scheduled flight time. Check your airline's website or Gatwick's website for your particular airline.

"Recommended" check-in time for long-haul is 3 hours ahead, though IMHO that's over-cautious and includes a general allowance for delays en-route to the airport.

On a sunday I'd advise against your cutting it so close, because train schedules are often disrupted by engineering works on the tracks.

On other days of the week? ................ hmmmm, that's not a big margin for delays. I think I'll sit on the fence :rolleyes: & see what others have to say. Might depend on whether your airline desks close 60 or 90 mins before the flight.

Do you have any other options which would get you to Gatwick earlier? Or are later flights available? And is your airline ticket valid for a later or next-day flight if you miss it?

JB :)

I think to cut it that fine is extremely risky! Trains are often late or cancelled even. They are not 100 per cent reliable, which is what they would have to be for your plan. Do not do it! Allow a much bigger margin of time, just in case.

We've flown twice out of Gatwick to Toronto and usually like to allow 3 hours at airports for international flights. Our first experience was great - easy checkin and had lots of wait time.

Last year, we didn't realize our flight was cancelled and we were scheduled to leave on an earlier flight. Good thing we arrived early and managed to get on that flight.

John Bull - I'm going to disagree with you.

I've worked for 3 airlines (all long haul from the UK - two from Gatwick and currently working for one that uses LHR) and check in actually closes at

-40 minutes before the flight.

Airlines will not advertise this and certainly if there is a hold up at Central Search you'll struggle to get through without stress and I'd never recommend checking in that late BUT it can be done.

It also depends on the dates you are flying. If it is in July/August, Christmas, Easter or any other peak time it can take ages to get through security.

I would leave in good time. There is plenty to occupy you at LGW, they want you to spend your money!

We are flying home to the U.S. from Gatwick and would like to know how much in advance we need to be at the airport. There is a train that gets to the airport just shy of 2 hours before our scheduled departure, is that enough time? How big is the airport, and how far away is the train station from check-in? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Where are you coming from? Most trains to Gatwick are very very frequent -- from London you have about twelve trains per hour.

I would generally choose to get there a little earlier than 'just shy of two hours' but I also wouldn't stress too much about it as long as there is a contingency plan.

If you're coming from Southampton, there's a direct train once per hour (at 13 minutes past each hour), but there's another train twenty minutes later (at 33 minutes past each hour) that gets you to Gatwick with a quick same-platform change at Barnham. Obviously you'll generally prefer the xx:13 direct train, but the xx:33 provides a suitable contingency although you'll be stressing!

Archived