Low Cost Things to Do/Old San Juan

july128

Yes it will. There are actually two. The one with the grassy area is a little farther but still maybe a 15 minute walk at the most. It's uphill a good ways though. We were there on Carnival and it dumps you off right in front of the Sheraton in old San Juan. There were a few vendors on the sidewalk selling trinkets but nothing I'd call a "market". There is shopping there though (cvs, clothing stores etc.)

IIRC there was also a museum or something beside the fort. Don't quote me on that but it might be something else to consider. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone else will correct me.

Also if this is your first time to SJ, as it was for us, be aware that it seems the locals never need to use the bathroom. Public facilities are near impossible to find. An indelicate thing to bring up for sure, but I wish I had known prior to watch how much water I drank ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad you said that about the bathrooms....I am telling you that was one thing when we went to the beach at St. Maarten .... the bathroom was HORRIBLE ... I wish someone would have warned me in advance. We will be going to San Juan for the first time in May ... and I had never even considered going there....so I am just beginning to read about it tonight

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure of the distance maybe a mile or two, but I'm not good at that. My concern, more than distance, would be topography. On the way back it will be downhill so probably okay. But on the way there it's a stout hill in places.

Thanks

Approx. how far would it be from El Morro back to port (port of call)? Someone commented to far for kids and elderly. This is what we planned to do but now concerned as my elderly mother will be with us.

i dont know the actual distance either but when we were there in early august, the trolley dropped off and picked up right at the front door of the fort... i didnt have young kids or elderly with me but my lazy DH appreciated the ride :p

Low cost activities:

1. Walk along the sea wall below the forts. There is a concrete "path". Lots of feral cats live there. There are also these "cool" spiders that look like big Xs. Make sure the kids don't touch though. :eek:

2. Fly kites that you bring with you on the lawn at the forts.

Keep in mind that you cannot access this path from any of the forts and it does not connect between them. You take it at the far side of Paseo la Princesa (take a left off the pier and keep walking straight along the main street). While it's a good and different perspective of the forts and walls surrounding the city, there are no vendors or bathrooms along the way so go before you go :-) and take water with you.

You can buy kites at the CVS or from street vendors off to the right of the El Morro fort before you start on the path that leads you to the fort entrance.

Good luck!!

Archived