Low Cost Things to Do/Old San Juan

july128

What is there to do in San Juan that is inexpensive and close (if not within walking distance) of the ship? I will have 5 kids with me so it needs to be some child friendly things too. Even just shopping is fine, though I would prefer at least a local market.

Also, can anyone tell me about Old San Juan area? How far is it from the ship?

What is there to do in San Juan that is inexpensive and close (if not within walking distance) of the ship? I will have 5 kids with me so it needs to be some child friendly things too. Even just shopping is fine, though I would prefer at least a local market.

Also, can anyone tell me about Old San Juan area? How far is it from the ship?

Proximity of Old San Juan to port depends on which cruise line. Carnival parks IN Old San Juan, everything is in walking distance. If on Royal, you'll be at the Pan Am port and need to take a cab.

With kids along, best bet is likely head straight for the Fort. After touring the fort, follow the wall along the sea side up to El Morro. This is the tip of the bay. Great view, but you'll also find a HUGE grassy area and vendors selling kites. The breeze off the ocean combined with the grassy hillside makes this one of the best places in the world to fly a kite.

From there, shop your way back to the boat and admire the old architecture, small streets and color of San Juan. As you get close to the water again, you'll find vendors that might amuse the kids such as the guys with the trained birds.

Also, do eat in OSJ instead of on the boat, you'll find some great food here so long as your kids aren't the "nothing but chicken fingers and mac 'n cheese" types.

Proximity of Old San Juan to port depends on which cruise line. Carnival parks IN Old San Juan, everything is in walking distance. If on Royal, you'll be at the Pan Am port and need to take a cab.

With kids along, best bet is likely head straight for the Fort. After touring the fort, follow the wall along the sea side up to El Morro. This is the tip of the bay. Great view, but you'll also find a HUGE grassy area and vendors selling kites. The breeze off the ocean combined with the grassy hillside makes this one of the best places in the world to fly a kite.

From there, shop your way back to the boat and admire the old architecture, small streets and color of San Juan. As you get close to the water again, you'll find vendors that might amuse the kids such as the guys with the trained birds.

Also, do eat in OSJ instead of on the boat, you'll find some great food here so long as your kids aren't the "nothing but chicken fingers and mac 'n cheese" types.

Thanks for the advice! My kids are actually pretty open to most foods having traveled a lot, but my youngest can be picky depending on his mood ;) We are on Carnival, so will the fort be within walking distance of the boat?

Yes it will. There are actually two. The one with the grassy area is a little farther but still maybe a 15 minute walk at the most. It's uphill a good ways though. We were there on Carnival and it dumps you off right in front of the Sheraton in old San Juan. There were a few vendors on the sidewalk selling trinkets but nothing I'd call a "market". There is shopping there though (cvs, clothing stores etc.)

IIRC there was also a museum or something beside the fort. Don't quote me on that but it might be something else to consider. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone else will correct me.

Also if this is your first time to SJ, as it was for us, be aware that it seems the locals never need to use the bathroom. Public facilities are near impossible to find. An indelicate thing to bring up for sure, but I wish I had known prior to watch how much water I drank ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is SOOO much to do in OSJ within walking distance. The forts are amazing, but I honesty think you can walk into town and the old-world charm would be worth it for kids and adults. The streets are paved in beautiful blue cobblestones and there's something historic at every turn :) have a wonderful time!

We are cruising in Nov with kids 6 and 9, were there last year with them as well. Actually, we will be staying in OSJ for three full days prior to cruising.

Forts: There are two forts within walking distance of the port. San Cristobal and El Morrow. If only time for one, go to El Morrow. There is a free trolley across the street from the port (search internet for maps of trolley route, easy to find). You want the open air trolley, it makes a loop. The forts are dirt cheap! If you go to both forts in one day, the cost is $5/adult and kids are free. If you decide to do just one fort, it is $3 and kids free. They also take debt/credit cards - fairly certain of this, that we did use ours.

There is a grassy area to fly kids at El MOrrow, as another person mentioned.

Remember sunscreen!! Being from the Midwest, we forgot ours on the boat - and I got fried. Hats and sunscreen, and know that it is HOT in San Juan.

If you need drinks, there is a CVS right across street from the port.

On the ride to El Morrow, on your left, you will see an area with fountains for kids to play in. Planning on taking our kids there. I think it is near the pigeon park.

STAY AWAY from the slum area called La Pearla. If you take the free trolley, you will drive right past it. On the way to El Morrow, it is on your right and down by the ocean. Just don't venture in there!!!! We haven't been into the old cemetery between the two forts, but plan on doing it, Other CC members have taken children in there, some neat old graves and monuments - but know there are some old ones that have opened a little.

Bathrooms: I found very IMPORTANT info for parents of young children! I am printing this and taking along with me -- tells where bathrooms are and how to recognize them. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-restrooms/

Puertoricodaytrips.com is a very useful page, I have found some good info. I think you can find the trolley info here, bathroom info, finding icee vendors, museums (and there are several small ones in OSJ that are inexpensive), carriage rides, etc.

Hope this helps a little!

Proximity of Old San Juan to port depends on which cruise line. Carnival parks IN Old San Juan, everything is in walking distance. If on Royal, you'll be at the Pan Am port and need to take a.

If San Juan is a port of call for you (rather than your port of origin), no need to worry about the Pan Am pier. You will dock for the day right in Old San Juan (I believe this holds true for all visiting cruiselines, please correct me if I am wrong). Everything is easily walkable.

As mentioned, the forts and cemetery are great choices. Be sure to walk through the Old City, plenty of small parks, fountains and statues. There is a large fountain almost directly across from the cemetery (up a few steps); the children can cool off there if you want them to get wet. They may enjoy the many cats of San Jaun; they love to hang out all over the city, but can usually be found in the park across from El Convemto. the "giraffe cat " and penguins on the Ark statues are there too.

Feeding the pigeons in the park is fun too (sorry, don't remember the name of it, but easy to get directions).

You can spend a whole day without spending a lot of money and have a great time. Enjoy!

The forts will be too long of a walk for young kids or the elderly. As one poster said, check out the free trolley. It goes by both forts and through the main shopping area of OSJ. You can get off and board the next one when it comes around, or walk to any of the other stops. There are places, like CVS, where you can buy bottled water or soft drinks, however, most of the restaurants can be a little pricey. I don't know about any of the fast food restaurants but remember this is a tourist destination and everything is priced accordingly. There are some very good restaurants. There is one right on the corner in front of where Carnival docks at the first trolley stop that is very good and reasonably priced, or it was when we were there.

Would Celebrity be @ the Pan Am Port then too?

Would Celebrity be @ the Pan Am Port then too?

Yes, Celebrity is docked at the Pan Am pier.

As mentioned previously, the pier depends upon whether the ship stop in San Juan is for just the day as a Port of Call - if so, they will dock right in Old San Juan, no transportation necessary.

If San Juan is the port of origin for departure or final destination, then yes, other than Carnival, the Pan Am pier would be correct.

• 3 weeks later...

STAY AWAY from the slum area called La Pearla. If you take the free trolley, you will drive right past it. On the way to El Morrow, it is on your right and down by the ocean. Just don't venture in there!!!!!

Hi - i have read we can walk the wall along the ocean from San Cristobal to El Morro... if we do this, will we be walking on this bad part of town??

Hi - i have read we can walk the wall along the ocean from San Cristobal to El Morro... if we do this, will we be walking on this bad part of town??

You will be on a pretty large street ABOVE it..... in order to go into La Perla you would have to deliberately walk down into it. We have walked BY it many times...... no problem.

Here is a map (in spanish tho) that shows the two forts #8 and #9 and La Perla in between. Just stay on the main road and you will be fine. There will be lots of other tourists walking that route too.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/4/48/OldSanJuanMap.png/450px-OldSanJuanMap.png&imgrefurl=http://wikitravel.org/en/San_Juan/Old_San_Juan&h=240&w=450&sz=91&tbnid=qK9mbKLuqRHEPM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=128&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmap%2Bof%2Bold%2Bsan%2Bjuan%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=map+of+old+san+juan&usg=__GjN8652bnH37i_czdWp3LJbNXYg=&docid=dFCvJ6H3B1V81M&sa=X&ei=1UzjUanHHdPOyAHDuoD4DA&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAQ&dur=462#imgdii=qK9mbKLuqRHEPM%3A%3B9AiHhKyIVA2KCM%3BqK9mbKLuqRHEPM%3A

You will be on a pretty large street ABOVE it..... in order to go into La Perla you would have to deliberately walk down into it. We have walked BY it many times...... no problem.

Here is a map (in spanish tho) that shows the two forts #8 and #9 and La Perla in between. Just stay on the main road and you will be fine. There will be lots of other tourists walking that route too.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/4/48/OldSanJuanMap.png/450px-OldSanJuanMap.png&imgrefurl=http://wikitravel.org/en/San_Juan/Old_San_Juan&h=240&w=450&sz=91&tbnid=qK9mbKLuqRHEPM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=128&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmap%2Bof%2Bold%2Bsan%2Bjuan%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=map+of+old+san+juan&usg=__GjN8652bnH37i_czdWp3LJbNXYg=&docid=dFCvJ6H3B1V81M&sa=X&ei=1UzjUanHHdPOyAHDuoD4DA&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAQ&dur=462#imgdii=qK9mbKLuqRHEPM%3A%3B9AiHhKyIVA2KCM%3BqK9mbKLuqRHEPM%3A

Thank you!! I was worried there for a second!

Low cost activities:

1. Walk along the sea wall below the forts. There is a concrete "path". Lots of feral cats live there. There are also these "cool" spiders that look like big Xs. Make sure the kids don't touch though. :eek:

2. Fly kites that you bring with you on the lawn at the forts.

3. Take the $0.50 ferry to the Bacardi factory. If you want to take them on the tour, which is educational about both rum making & history so that it is a kid appropriate thing, you take a taxi o the factory itself & the tour is free. Adults get small tastings while the kids can have a non alcoholic drink. The taxi is $6 pp round trip but with 6 of you I'd try to haggle.

3. Window shop up & down the cobblestone hills to look at the homes & architecture.

4. Take a ride on the free trolley but traffic is always at a crawl in OSJ

Yes--visit El Morro. [small admission charge --I think $3 for adults] If the kids are still interested visit the other fort after that. Here are a few pictures I took that might help you visualize the area.

Looking at the grassy area in Front of El Morro.

P3270056_zps3b16ca1f.jpg

Looking from the fort back to the main road. [it is a good walk up the side walk--if you take the trolley they stop at the front door.]

IMG_3042_zps161e3f07.jpg

The yellow buildings across the street are free to enter and are historic buildings.

Looking from the fort to the main street and the harbor.

IMG_3058_zpse0b67804.jpg

There is plenty of room for children to run off their energy.

PS I bought a kite for my DGD for $3 from a vendor there. It was the same type you would buy in any toy store in the US. [nothing special]

Here is one of the quaint side streets in the city.

IMG_3069_zpsf5a6e5f6.jpg

If you're taking kids to OSJ, by all means go to the forts. You wander the tunnels and climb the ramps, step over the gullies cut in the stone that comprised the water collection system, take pictures in those cool lookout posts that hang out over the edge, pose with the guns, climb down the triangular staircase, go to the base of El Morro and see if you can find the cannon ball marks from the US Navy.

How lucky those kids are to be able to really get a chance to see what an old Spanish fort is like. Maybe those schoolroom lessons will be just a bit more interesting in the years to come.

We will be visiting SJ in January 2014. We sailed out of there in 2011 on the Adventure of the Seas. After arriving a couple days early, we explored OSJ a bit. Such a lovely place! I'm looking forward to going back. We didn't get to do El Morro. We went to San Cristobol and loved it.

It was hot, and sunscreen is a must, for sure!

Cool! I have always wanted to fly my kids. :D

You continue make posts about other's mis-spellings , why don't you just educate the rest of us on how to use "spell check" on Cruise Critic"

Archived