Just want to dine alone!

airlink diva

Good to see some other solo cruisers who like to have dinner in the MDR on their own.

I had never a bad experience on NCL, the staff is completely used to people dining alone and everyone was nice about it. I do not bring something to read but instead I have my smartphone and camera and do some sorting of the pictures of the day or write down some notes.

Now I have booked my first RCI transatlantic cruise and I am a bit worried about how it will be. I reserved MTD every evening at the same time and opted for my own table. Hopefully the will arrange that. If it gets to weird I will stick to the buffet.

I have never had a problem with staff seating me per my request. However, other cruisers always seem to have a problem. It makes them uncomfortable to see someone dining alone. For these situations I have an imaginary husband. Somehow traveling solo because your spouse had a work emergency is acceptable. Traveling solo because you are single makes you a freak of nature.

Thanks everyone for the various replies to my thread!

If I can't change to dining alone, no problem with sharing a table with others.

If I can get a table alone, I will be happy!

In the end, I'm getting away from the norm for a few days

I have cruised eleven times; five solo w/o DH. I completely enjoy cruising alone it is a very relaxing vacation for me. I have tried different dining combinations. With DH we always do MDR Early Seating usually a 4 or 6 table. This last solo cruise I did ATD but truthfully even spending an hour and half in MDR was not my cup of tea. {I eat a vegan diet no animal products including milk/cheese/eggs.) Despite letting them know before the cruise and visiting the Maitre'D the first day, there is a always a big fuss by them trying to figure out what to feed me and my vacation is letting someone else figure that out. I was very happy with the Lido Deck Buffet at Dinner; the food selection was great and the service very good. I always meet some lovely staff there and have fantastic service (and tip them at end of cruise). (I do pay the usual daily tip rate and extra for my cabin steward) I always bring a book, my journal, crossword/suduko with me and if in the mood there are always people looking to chat. It is like a wonderful R&R retreat. I am researching my next solo either the reposition from Boston to Tampa or transatlantic from Barcelona to Galveston and very much looking forward to whichever I do. All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I just got off the ship this morning.

Overall it was a good cruise. Not one of the best, but not bad.

I did go to check on my table assignment upon boarding. I was placed at a table for 10. It was a mix of four solos, a group of four and group of two. I agreed to try the table for at least the first night and given the opt to change.

It end up as a good table. The other solo cruisers never came to dinner. But there were four friends from San Antonio and two friends from New Iberia. I enjoyed having dinner with them.

But I did have alot of solo time around the ship and at lunch and breakfast. I did ask for a solo table and had to wait a few minutes. No issues from the staff or other guest. It was nice to enjoy a meal at my time and pace.

Hi everyone, I just got off the ship this morning.

Overall it was a good cruise. Not one of the best, but not bad.

I did go to check on my table assignment upon boarding. I was placed at a table for 10. It was a mix of four solos, a group of four and group of two. I agreed to try the table for at least the first night and given the opt to change.

It end up as a good table. The other solo cruisers never came to dinner. But there were four friends from San Antonio and two friends from New Iberia. I enjoyed having dinner with them.

But I did have alot of solo time around the ship and at lunch and breakfast. I did ask for a solo table and had to wait a few minutes. No issues from the staff or other guest. It was nice to enjoy a meal at my time and pace.

Good morning....glad things worked out for you:)

Archived