Whale/Wildlife cruise options ...would you do both?

Marylandteachergirl

Hello all,

We are in early stages of planning. We will stay one night in Seward, and also visit Icy Straight Point while on cruise. In Seward, we are considering one of the longer Major Marine tours, and at ISP, possibly F.I.S.H.E.S. or Hoonah adventure type 3 hr whale watch.

Would these two trips be repetitive? Is one better than the other?

Thank you so much!

The whale watch tours from ISP are just that - whale watching. The Kenai Fjords tours are more marine wildlife tours with a stop for a while at a glacier. You might or might not see whales on the Kenai Fjords tour. They are very different. I often take multiple boat tours when I am in Alaska. Go for it!

Thank you frugaltravel! That is what my initial thought was as well. They will be different enough to be very different experiences. Now...to figure out which Major Marine tour is best and not too crowded. :D

Thank you again!

I assume you mean Major Marine in Seward. Take one that is at least 6 hours in length. Anything shorter doesn't get out of the bay. If you are talking about Major Marine in Whittier, the Blackstone Bay tour is nice, but shorter. The longer tour is better if you have no discounts. I took Blackstone Bay last time because of a 2-for-1 coupon.

It can be worth it to do both. Depends a lot on you. If you hit a slow day in Icy Strait and only see blows, tails and backs, you may or may not consider it worth it. Some will think it was amazing, others will say, "meh." If you hit it lucky and see some bubble net feeding and breaching, you will be in awe. It is still a nice a boat ride, with or without the whale show. What do you think you would like.

I have only been on one Kenai Fjords tour and it was great with a wide variety of marine wildlife and birds. The stop at the glacier is an add on that is nice, but not the focus of the tour. Be prepared for sea sickness. Precautions are necessary if anyone has the least bit tendency to motion sickness.

The fact is, these are two VERY different boat tours. So it depends on your interests. Many people think wildlife and Alaska go hand in hand, they do with these two tours.

I am always on both when I'm in those areas, my preference for touring. There is a LOT to choose from.

Archived