Carnival Splendor 6/10/13 ... a ramble

Cyber Kat

If you watch the ships arrive on the NY Harbor cam you get to see this a lot

p1830584818-3.jpg

The cam is located right by the bridge - it's very cool. Here's the link - http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/ They have links to all kinds of harbor cams if you are into watching the ships.

And why wouldn't you be when you can see sights like this ...

p1707991956-3.jpg

And as we say good bye to the bridge ...

p1662699601-3.jpg

New York City awaits in the mist ...

p1631143061-3.jpg

I believe that's Governor's Island in the foreground. It's right off of Brooklyn.

I couldn't resist turning around and getting one last shot of the bridge ...

p1645105438-3.jpg

NY straight ahead - that's the Freedom Tower

p1859944248-3.jpg

This is for all of you who have never sailed from NY and for all of you who are too lazy to get up at 4:30am!

This is what you're missing ...

East River Bridges at sunrise

p1661993170-3.jpg

Staten Island Ferry and NY Waterways Ferry taking NY folks to work

p1733834801-3.jpg

And the Pièce de résistance ... Lady Liberty!

p1723410563-3.jpg

And the lower Manhattan skyline ain't too bad either ...

p1700453336-3.jpg

p1745976536-3.jpg

p1631404706-4.jpg

So I've got to move to another post - damn this 6 photo limit!

New York City is so photogenic - who can resist ...

p1764053954-3.jpg

We're in the Hudson now and moving toward the pier. This is the view downriver. That's Jersey City, NJ on the right.

p1803043630-3.jpg

And another of the Freedom Tower with the sun shining on it.

p1753417392-3.jpg

And here's the Miram Moran come to keep us out of trouble. The currents in the Hudson can be treacherous - even for a big ship.

p1781801653-3.jpg

When you see the Empire State Building, you're getting close to the pier

p1701818953-3.jpg

Concorde parked near the Intrepid Museum which is right next to the Cruise Terminal

p1811507989-3.jpg

And that's 6!

And here we are at the pier. I'd put a sad face icon, but it counts as an image. We docked at Pier 90 but you pass 88 on the way.

p1699420772-3.jpg

Pier 88 is the one outfitted with the new aprons and gangways to accommodate the Breakaway.

Kind of scary moment - it didn't look like we would make the swing into the pier without hitting it.

p1731794099-3.jpg

Here comes the tug to help out.

p1744729011-3.jpg

Anyone remember the children's book Scuffy the Tugboat? I thought of Scuffy watching this tug and the great big ship!

p1629404276-3.jpg

Miriam Moran was working her little stack off to get us in that slip. Look at the water churning. The sea gulls were having a ball with all the poor fish that were disturbed.

Cutting it awfully close!

p1799662192-3.jpg

Whew - looks like we got it made!

p1823843439-3.jpg

Kath I am absolutely loving your review, we are cruising out of NY in December and your review and pictures are getting my excitement level up.....only 147 till our vacation in NY starts and 150 days till my cruise...I loved the cruise out and back into NY.....can't imagine why anyone would want to stay in their bed when they have the most amazing views to see at the end of their cruise :)

So we're tied up at the pier. And I think it was around 7am. I went up to grab some coffee and my last cinnamon buns. Forget room service and no one else felt like eating.

We finished up our packing and checking to make sure we hadn't forgotten anything. We didn't do such a good job - I left my multi-plug thing, plugged in.

I snapped a few more photos of the NJ side of the river ...

p1655145417-3.jpg

And a passing sailboat

p1838868768-3.jpg

We looked for our stewards to thank them, give them our tips and say good bye.

We were doing self assist and we'd kind of reached the end of the window of opportunity. I forget what the times were - but we weren't' in a hurry.

We were just taking a last look around and the CD Marcelo's voice on the in cabin speaker. All of the other announcements were only in the halls.

He whispered, "Are you awake? If you are still sleeping you need to wake up." He went on with the instructions about what to do. I assume that announcement went out to all passengers, because I don't think he was just talking to us!

We laughed and headed out. The walk to the elevator seemed soooo long and so short at the same time. As we stood waiting for the elevator, they made an announcement about having your S&S card and your ID ready. I had just looped mine on the lanyard over my neck, but my sister realized she didn't have hers. She had to run back to the room.

She finally returned S&S in hand! And we got on the next elevator.

We got out in the lobby. There weren't many people and no lines at all. We walked right over - handed over our S&S cards for the last time. And sadly said good bye to the Splendor and her crew.

They had already started debarking people who had put luggage out, the night before. It was about 9am, I think.

When we got to the dock, there were people directing the passengers down to the luggage collection area. I said, what if we don't have to collect luggage. The woman standing by the door to the terminal, smiled and said, "Come right this way!"

There were maybe 3 people in line for customs. We handed in our passports and declaration forms. Customs agent asked if we'd had a good time. We said, "Yes." She said, "Welcome home," and handed us back our passports.

A walk down the hall and we were in the terminal ready to call the limo.

Easiest debark EVER!

So that's the end of my tale. It was a GREAT cruise - one of the best I've ever had. Few minor glitches, but nothing major - certainly nothing to spoil things.

I loved the Splendor - after the first day, getting around was easy. The crew was great! I love the Mongolian Wok, the Sushi Bar, hot dogs from the Grill, the Burrito Bar, the Brunch and the Steak House.

Sorry we didn't get to any shows - I did want to see Vroom and the comedy shows. But that's the way it goes. There's always a list I have in my mind of things I want to do. Some of them get done - others go on the list for the next time.

We didn't get to the shows, but I did do the water slide. I got a cabana at HMC and did the Behind the Fun Tour. We didn't get to the Sheraton in Nassau, but we got to see an osprey - and that wasn't even on my list!

I got to eat at the Mongolian Wok, but not the Deli. We didn't watch the movies on the big screen or play the bean bag toss. I did see my fair share of sunrises and sunsets. I also saw the Big Dipper - very clear and bright.

I kept forgetting to ask for dishes to try in the MDR, but I did try the shark things and the Oysters Rockafeller. We had breakfast food at the brunch and I wanted to do it again for lunch - didn't make it.

So I've already started my list for the next time - and there will be a next time if I have anything to say about it!

If you have any questions, please ask. I'll try to help.

If you want to see more photos of this cruise, past cruises and Bermuda, you can find them here - http://cyberkatkreations.zenfolio.com/

And thanks to everyone for following along and the nice complements! You made it all worth while!

I bought the Bella Pellina bracelets for my daughter and daughter-in-laws for Christmas last year . . . They loved them. They really are nice for $24.95.

I love the burrito bar ---- double shrimp burrito for me.

Thanks for this review, its great. I will be on Splendor in Sept, October, and November.

Lucky you! I wish I had another cruise booked - but I'm working on it!

Kath I am absolutely loving your review, we are cruising out of NY in December and your review and pictures are getting my excitement level up.....only 147 till our vacation in NY starts and 150 days till my cruise...I loved the cruise out and back into NY.....can't imagine why anyone would want to stay in their bed when they have the most amazing views to see at the end of their cruise :)

I know - exactly! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your cruise. The one I am looking at is the one in Feb of 2015 (way too far away!) that goes to San Juan because I want to do it B2B instead of flying back from San Juan. We always cruise in June - once we did a Cruise to Nowhere in OCt.

I'm curious to know when you hit warm weather. If we do the B2B there are the 2 days down and 2 days back, so we should be warm for at least 12 of the 16 days. I think that would be awesome in Feb - one of my least favorite months.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Now you have convinced me to get up early to watch the sail in to NY! I Love taking sunrise photos. Cant wait!!

It's sooo worth it. It's just amazing. I have some fantastic photos I took of a foggy sail in, but I have to find them so I can post them.

I know - exactly! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your cruise. The one I am looking at is the one in Feb of 2015 (way too far away!) that goes to San Juan because I want to do it B2B instead of flying back from San Juan. We always cruise in June - once we did a Cruise to Nowhere in OCt.

I'm curious to know when you hit warm weather. If we do the B2B there are the 2 days down and 2 days back, so we should be warm for at least 12 of the 16 days. I think that would be awesome in Feb - one of my least favorite months.

Thank you for this amazing review. We cruised on the Splendor 5/17 & had such a wonderful time but also missed some of the "must due" things that were on my list & have been thinking about the B2B in Feb 2015 also...plenty of time to do everything but too far away to concentrate on it. Who knows, maybe we'll meet up then. Once again, thanks for the great review & pics.

Once again, we had a fabulous meal. I had pretty much the same thing - Ahi Tuna Tartare - I switched my salad to the Spinach Salad with the bacon (YUM), the Surf and Turf with Bearnaise sauce and the mushrooms. For dessert I ordered the cheese cake and just ate what I could eat of it. It's really good, but far too large. They should cut out the waste and just serve a smaller portion - or offer a smaller portion.

We also ordered the cheesecake on our first night at the steakhouse but took it "to go". We ended up throwing it out 2 days later & I also thought about how wasteful it was. Next time I will try the homemade ice cream!

I did the Miracle last December and January and yes, cold first 2 days down, you get to do more things around the ship than I would do when the weather is warm --- on these cruises we did bean bag toss, trivia, and other games for the first time ever (after 25+ cruises)

Kat,

Is there an area that they used for the Taste Bar at certain times on The Splendor like they have on other Carnival Ships?

No - there's no Taste Bar on the Splendor. There's really no point since it's mostly for the up charge restaurants and the Splendor has only the Steak House. It doesn't have the Red Frog Pub (charge for food). The Italian restuarant (charge for food. or the Blue Iguana Cantina (charge for the food.

The Splendor does have California Roll Sushi, the Mongolian Wok, the Burrito Bar and the Rotisserie which are all FREE!

Do you remember what time it was when you started taking the sunrise pictures? Next Sunday I'm on the splendor and although I'm not wishing my vaca away I would love to see these views. Thanks

The sunrise and sunset times are posted in the Fun Times every day. I kept my iPod next to the bed so I could check the time when I woke up. If you have a regular side facing balcony, you will either have sunrises on the way down and sunsets on the way back or vice versa. Since we had an aft wrap, we got the best of both worlds.

The earliest sunrise we had was 5:30 on the first sea day and the latest was 6:20 in Nassau. Most were around 6am.

Enjoy! You don't want to miss NY and that was one of the earlier ones.

Kat I have an unusual question ! Is there fudge? not hot fudge just plan fudge on this ship? If so WHERE ????

If there was - I certainly didn't come across it - I LOVE hot fudge! I've heard there is chocolate sauce, but I don't think it's hot fudge.

If there was - I certainly didn't come across it - I LOVE hot fudge! I've heard there is chocolate sauce, but I don't think it's hot fudge.

Thanks Kat!

I asked the same question on a different thread and did get a few different answers, but I guess maybe its served on the carnival chocolate extravaganza night. I thought I saw it on a Menu.. I was just looking for plan fudge kinda like candy/ brownie . My daughters boyfriend loves it ! :D:D

I also told him they have chocolate cake too so he's all set I think if there is no fudge :)

Kat,

You did an amazing review. Your pictures and quality of them are beautiful. I've been living through your review and so looking forward to our turn on the Splendor. Can't wait to get to New York! This will be our first time there, driven through before but never stayed. I do hope you get to book your B2B on the Splendor, then you will have the time to try all the things you wanted to do but didn't get the chance to this time.

I sure hope DH and kids will get up early to see the sunrise in NY when we get back, or maybe it will be snowing? Who knows! Great job, I love this type of review :D

Thanks Kat!

I asked the same question on a different thread and did get a few different answers, but I guess maybe its served on the carnival chocolate extravaganza night. I thought I saw it on a Menu.. I was just looking for plan fudge kinda like candy/ brownie . My daughters boyfriend loves it ! :D:D

I also told him they have chocolate cake too so he's all set I think if there is no fudge :)

Oh there's plenty of chocolate on the ship! That chocolate cake that they sell for birthdays and anniversaries is really good! And now that I'm thinking about it, there might have been fudge on the Chocolate Extravaganza - which is in the afternoon on the last sea day. Don't miss it! There was so much chocolate - my mind was boggled! A chocoholic's dream!

Archived