Disembarkation day question

angandant

we are from the UK and have booked flights and transfers through Princess. our flights home are from Miami, but not until the evening. can anyone tell me how this works, does Princess take you to a hotel for the day then transfer you to the airport ???

we are from the UK and have booked flights and transfers through Princess. our flights home are from Miami, but not until the evening. can anyone tell me how this works, does Princess take you to a hotel for the day then transfer you to the airport ???

Hello Angela, no Princess will put you on a bus with everyone going to MIA (Miami International Airport) and drop you off there. They will not take you to a hotel. And this will be done early in the morning as well. What time is your evening flight? If it is after 7 PM, then my suggestion is to cancel your Princess transfer from the port to the airport. Rent yourself a car and enjoy the day in FLL and Miami, go shopping, do a bit of sightseeing and then when it is time, return the car to Miami airport. Hertz, Avis Budget Thrifty all have shuttles to pick you up at the port and you can return the car to Miami airport. Most car rentals return at Miami Airport are off-site so allow time for that. We are on the maiden Royal TA and our flight leaves at 8.35 PM from MIA and that is what we will be doing.

Have a great cruise.

Hiring a car is the way to go if you are happy to drive on the wrong side of the road. Fll airort is about 10 to 15 mins away, what we do is i do a self walk off early, grab a taxi to fll airport and pick car up, i then drive back to port and pick up the rest of family. You will have a good 8 hours of use from the car so you could head to sawgrass outlets and still have loads of time. Miami airports car rental centre is all new and now on site, once your car is returned in you take the monorail back to the terminal. Cost to rent a car, about £30 all in, use one of the main brokers in the uk like carhire 2000 or holidayautos, netflights are usually the cheapest but all are good.

Princess do have disembarkation tours that go to the Everglades or the shopping mall before going to the airport, but they are looking into this for next year so see what alternatives they could offer. They used to take you back to the Intercontinental in Miami for lunch and then take you to the airport, but that's another cut in expenses for them:mad:.

Car rental is a good way to go. As mentioned the Fort Lauderdale airport is only 10/15 mins away. Check with car rental companies to see if they have free drop off at the Miami airport. The Sawgrass Mills Mall is approx. 20/25 mis west of the airport off of Interstate 595 in Plantation. Downtown Fort Lauderdale is also about 20 mins away across the 17th st. causeway and down rt. 1A along the ocean. Bring one dollar bills with you. You will need them for the parking lots by the beach. South Beach Miami is about 45mins south on I95. Interstate 95 has heavy traffic, and lots of lanes. It can be difficult to drive in heavy traffic. If you are there on a Sat. or Sun. traffic will be lighter. It can be difficult to find parking in South Beach. When I was there we rode around the streets for some time until we found a place.

Princess runs airport drop off tours. Look them up. This is an easy way to go. Let others drive. They will take you on a tour and then drop you off at the Miami airport later in the day.

If you are from the UK and not used to driving on American roads I would not recommend renting a car. Traffic is horrible in Miami and you will have a difficult time of it. Depending upon what time your flight is, and comfort level, you can take a post-cruise excursion through Princess or you could check out some tour operators. http://www.miamitours.us/ You might even check your roll call to see what some others are doing post cruise. You might be able to hook up with some Americans who would be willing to drive. :D

Archived