In port 1pm - 8pm!

EOSapril11

I've read some great tips on these boards about what to do & when to do them--but I'm concerned about our port times.

We are in port from 1pm - 8pm next month and I booked a trip with Bernard Tours. I completely trust that we will have a great time with him but I'm worried about the time. I've read about late day traffic, a bridge that goes up, shops being closed.

Has anyone been in St. Martin at those times? Maho is going to be our first stop, but I'm hoping we don't miss the big planes. After that, we are open to our itinerary but not sure what we should do as it will be getting late. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm traveling with my husband & 3 kids--9,11,13. Thank you!!

I've read some great tips on these boards about what to do & when to do them--but I'm concerned about our port times.

We are in port from 1pm - 8pm next month and I booked a trip with Bernard Tours. I completely trust that we will have a great time with him but I'm worried about the time. I've read about late day traffic, a bridge that goes up, shops being closed.

Has anyone been in St. Martin at those times? Maho is going to be our first stop, but I'm hoping we don't miss the big planes. After that, we are open to our itinerary but not sure what we should do as it will be getting late. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm traveling with my husband & 3 kids--9,11,13. Thank you!!

What besides Maho is of interest to you and your family? Knowing this will make it easier to help you plan your day around your 1-8 port stop.

What besides Maho is of interest to you and your family? Knowing this will make it easier to help you plan your day around your 1-8 port stop.

we would like to do the usual-- Maho, beach time, shopping, iguana farm-- but again not sure if our time warrants all of that. We meet Bernard at 1:30.

I am afraid that the things that you want to do and your port times are like oil and water. This would be a great port time for someone like me who wanted to shop and then have a nice dinner in Phillipsburg on a deck watching the sun set but not really for what you are looking for.

I tried 3 times but erased them because my plans involved lots of back tracking so I can't recommend them. Hopefully someone else can help you out.:)

I am afraid that the things that you want to do and your port times are like oil and water. This would be a great port time for someone like me who wanted to shop and then have a nice dinner in Phillipsburg on a deck watching the sun set but not really for what you are looking for.

I tried 3 times but erased them because my plans involved lots of back tracking so I can't recommend them. Hopefully someone else can help you out.:)

Do you think Maho first & then some shopping is doable? We do have beach days planned in Bermuda & Labadee so we could forgo water activities.

I am concerned about some bridge that opens around 4:30?? If we just do Maho will we be able to make it back to the ship? Don't know many details about it.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Do you think Maho first & then some shopping is doable? We do have beach days planned in Bermuda & Labadee so we could forgo water activities.

I am concerned about some bridge that opens around 4:30?? If we just do Maho will we be able to make it back to the ship? Don't know many details about it.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

I would suggest canceling Bernard's Tour and just taking a taxi right when you get off of the ship and heading straight to Maho. You should arrive there before 2 and you can watch the planes and swim until 3:30. There will be taxis waiting at Maho and you can always go the long way around if you had to since your ship doesn't leave until 8. You should make it to town around 4:15-4:30. The shops are open until 6 so you should have plenty of time for shopping. From there I would leisurely walk back to the port area stopping for a cocktail or mocktail along the way.

Taking taxis to and from Maho will save you a lot of money.

Another option would be to check out the plane schedule and see if there will be any late afternoon flights in. There often is a big AA flight in around 4-5. If that's the case then stick with Bernard and have him take you to town for shopping first. At 3 head to Maho and you should be there before 4. You can swim and plane watch and head back to the ship around 6. This will give you time to look around at the shops that are open in the port area before reboarding the ship.

A variation would be to shop, go to Maho from 4-5 or 5:30 and have Bernard drive you to the port through Marigot giving you a tour along the way.

If Maho wasn't a must it would be much easier with your port times and more options would be available. Let us know.

EOSapril11,

Do you have a private tour booked with Bernard just for the 5 of you?

gary

p.s. I believe the shops downtown will be closing around 5:00.

I have read several sites that state the store hours are 9-6 in Philipsburg and I have not read any that said otherwise. I have not seen anywhere that has different hours for winter or summer either.

EOSapril11,

gary

Hi Gary, yes, we are booked with Bernard because it's our first time in St. Martin & because of the times I'm not comfortable going on our own. Maho is a must for us. If that is all we do, I will be happy with that!

I would suggest canceling Bernard's Tour and just taking a taxi right when you get off of the ship and heading straight to Maho. You should arrive there before 2 and you can watch the planes and swim until 3:30. There will be taxis waiting at Maho and you can always go the long way around if you had to since your ship doesn't leave until 8. You should make it to town around 4:15-4:30. The shops are open until 6 so you should have plenty of time for shopping. From there I would leisurely walk back to the port area stopping for a cocktail or mocktail along the way.

Taking taxis to and from Maho will save you a lot of money.

Another option would be to check out the plane schedule and see if there will be any late afternoon flights in. There often is a big AA flight in around 4-5. If that's the case then stick with Bernard and have him take you to town for shopping first. At 3 head to Maho and you should be there before 4. You can swim and plane watch and head back to the ship around 6. This will give you time to look around at the shops that are open in the port area before reboarding the ship.

A variation would be to shop, go to Maho from 4-5 or 5:30 and have Bernard drive you to the port through Marigot giving you a tour along the way.

If Maho wasn't a must it would be much easier with your port times and more options would be available. Let us know.

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I can look up the plane schedules? Do I search for the St. Martin Airport?? Is there a different name? I'm not much of a traveler!

I did originally give this a thought, but not totally comfortable with going on our own. Maho is a must for us, so if that's all we are going to do we may not need Bernard. Shopping would be nice, but could skip it.

Is there anything to do near the ship? Perhaps taking a taxi to Maho then back to port is a better idea. I would be ok with that.

Hmmm.....going to have to rethink our plans. Thank you for your input--that's why I love this board!!

"Closing", not closed at 5:00.

Based only on personal experience when we've gone back downtown for dinner.

Shops at the Cruise Facility will, of course, be open later.

gary

I see. Well, since they have a captive audience when a ship is in until 8 its not a good day to close early.

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I can look up the plane schedules? Do I search for the St. Martin Airport?? Is there a different name? I'm not much of a traveler!

I did originally give this a thought, but not totally comfortable with going on our own. Maho is a must for us, so if that's all we are going to do we may not need Bernard. Shopping would be nice, but could skip it.

Is there anything to do near the ship? Perhaps taking a taxi to Maho then back to port is a better idea. I would be ok with that.

Hmmm.....going to have to rethink our plans. Thank you for your input--that's why I love this board!!

I make fake "bookings" like AA Miami to St Maarten on a certain date to check far out for people. The other good way is to check the tour operator Joyce Prince's website on the day of the week for a few weeks in advance to get an idea of what you day will be like. http://www.joyceprince.com/. Look for Maho Beach as that's where the flight information will be.

You most certainly will be able to do Maho. What is the exact day that you will be in St. Maarten? If we have this info we can help you figure out the plane schedule. Once we have an idea of the afternoon arrivals then we can help you get the most out of your day.

I make fake "bookings" like AA Miami to St Maarten on a certain date to check far out for people. The other good way is to check the tour operator Joyce Prince's website on the day of the week for a few weeks in advance to get an idea of what you day will be like. http://www.joyceprince.com/. Look for Maho Beach as that's where the flight information will be.

You most certainly will be able to do Maho. What is the exact day that you will be in St. Maarten? If we have this info we can help you figure out the plane schedule. Once we have an idea of the afternoon arrivals then we can help you get the most out of your day.

Thank you....We will be in St. Maarten on Monday 7/29.

After looking at several airline sites I found only one flight that might work for you. It's a flight in from Miami at 2. The Air France is due in at 1:20.

Being first off the ship and taking a taxi to Maho is your best bet. Absolutely nothing to worry about with this plan. You do not need to pay for a tour to go to Maho and then back to town. If you are set on Bernard then have him wait right outside of the port area for you and set 12:30 as a time. This way if you get to disembark early then you may even be able to see the Air France land. Sorry I could not be of much help. Perhaps others will find flights that are better suited to you schedule.

EOSapril11,

gary

Gary, you seem very knowledgeable about St Martin. i'm thinking of canceling my tour with Bernard & just taking a taxi to Maho. Do you think Bernard can get us there faster than a taxi--not driving faster!!!!!! but meaning wait time for a taxi? Bernard will meet us right off the ship & be ready to go. Im thinking evryone will be racing off the ship trying to get a taxi?

i think Maho will be it for us given our time. Maybe some shopping near port, dinner at Maho. But Maho for sure!

thank you all for your help!

Again, is this a PRIVATE tour, with just the five of you so Bernard doesn't have to wait for others? If so, that would probably be a bit quicker, but the taxi dispatch is very efficient, as well. They would probably just take your group and go.

Bernard loads adjacent to the Administration Building, right next to the taxi dispatch.

But remember, Bernard's tour comes with complimentary drinks. :)

"Shopping near port, dinner at Maho" hopefully not in that order.

gary

Again, is this a PRIVATE tour, with just the five of you so Bernard doesn't have to wait for others? If so, that would probably be a bit quicker, but the taxi dispatch is very efficient, as well. They would probably just take your group and go.

Bernard loads adjacent to the Administration Building, right next to the taxi dispatch.

But remember, Bernard's tour comes with complimentary drinks. :)

"Shopping near port, dinner at Maho" hopefully not in that order.

gary

Yes, its private, just my family of 5. Youre right, not in that order! i mean after our "plane watching" is over we would see what we could fit in as time allows. I'm really hoping we get to see some planes. thats why I want the quickest way to Maho.

Archived