Troubles on Norwegian Sun

lww46

If that or other policy specifically stated "under the influence of alcohol" (or something to that effect) what exactly does that mean? (And no, I am not trying to pull a Bill Clinton)

I would argue that a blood-alcohol screening or breathalyzer test would need to be performed to make that actual determination. Now as to the level then needed to prove "influence" I would imagine going with the numbers of the country in which the accident occurs...but I am not a lawyer so I am talking out of my hat.

(Reminds me of a Franklin and Bash episode from last season.)

I am sorry to hear what happened to the OP.

Scificruiser I think you raise a valid point. I took a look at the policy I purchased, not from NCL and it states the following as an exclusion:

4. Alcoholism or drug addiction, intoxication or under the influence of any narcotic unless administered on the advice of a Physician or physical complications related thereto, of You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member;

The policy doesnt state mearly consuming an alcholic beverage but rather intoxication.

In any event I appreciate the discussion in this thread and now have better awareness regarding the policy I purchased

It seems to me that the OP started his comments with "Troubles on Norwegian Sun", and having my next cruise booked on the Sun, it is why I first read this thread. Actually it seems his troubles were off the Sun, not actually on the ship. It would also seem that once his avenues of compensation for his injury, and the cruise days he missed because of his alcohol induced behavior were denied by the insurance company, it now becomes the ship's fault. He has two previous posts on Cruise Critic, yet has five NCL cruises without a comment. Suddenly 21 months after the incident he makes this post. It appears to me that denied compensation for his own misconduct, he pleads his case here.:rolleyes:

Spot on Chief!

having my next cruise booked on the Sun, it is why I first read this thread.

The Sun is my next cruise as well....we booked it because we loved it so much the last time we sailed.

She's my favorite ship.:)

No insurance policy is going to cover drinking too much and injuring yourself in the process. The onus is on you to know your limits. I'm sorry you were injured, but you were at fault, not NCL.

My thought as well. I know the insurance does not state or want anyone to think they can not have a single drink on a cruise to be covered. Heck, our foster daughter, was smashed when she fell against the wall of her cabin a few cruises ago. No, she didn't have NCL insurance, she had something else and yes, it was rough seas but regardless the on board doctor treated what turned out to be a broken arm and she wasn't even charged a penny.

Spot on Chief!

I too decided to read this because we are going on our favorite ship, the Sun in December. I have a gut feeling Mr. OP was more than a little intoxicated. I know he said a couple of drinks, I can speak for myself, how many times I have said. oh we had a couple of drinks, I really mean, we had a couple and then stopped counting. I have to wonder why, regardless of what he said, he wait close to 2 years to post and being a frequent cruiser he would not have been on CruiseCritic before now.???

I agree...and I also agree with the post in general.

What has happened to personal responsibility??

1) Knowing when to stop drinking.

2) knowing what your travel insurance policy covers.

The title of this thread should not be Troubles on the Norwegian Sun, it should be Troubles With Tequila.

(and now I have the Sound of Music song in my head: How do you solve a problem like Tequila?)

LOL...and now it's stuck in MY head! :eek: ;) :D

Originally Posted by halos viewpost.gif

I agree...and I also agree with the post in general.

What has happened to personal responsibility??

1) Knowing when to stop drinking.

2) knowing what your travel insurance policy covers.

The title of this thread should not be Troubles on the Norwegian Sun, it should be Troubles With Tequila.

(and now I have the Sound of Music song in my head: How do you solve a problem like Tequila?)

LOL...and now it's stuck in MY head! :eek: ;) :D

OMG. Hilarious! Tequila just happens not agree with me. :p:p

Archived