Norwegian Mediterranean Langauge Barrier

CCJ

I have a question for someone, a few years ago we took a cruise in the Mediterranean on Costa. English was the last in line of the languages that were spoken on the cruise. We felt very left out and confused most of the time there were only 50 English speaking guests.

I can understand how the English speaking people on the disaster Costa ship felt isolated and scared to death.

My question is this: Some friends want to take a Norwegian Eastern Med 10 day cruise can anyone tell me about the language spoken, is it Italian because of where the ship starts from, this will have a huge bearing on what we decide to do.

Thanks so much

Candy

On all of my European NCL cruises, the primary language was English, no matter where they cruised from (Italy, Spain, Denmark, etc). Announcements, etc, were always made in English first, then other languages based on the demographic of the passengers. All entertainment was in English, with occasional games, etc, in other languages if the need was there.

Robin

Candy, we also did Costa in 2004; same thing- English was the last of 5 translations for every announcement. But that was Costa, an Italian line that was purchased by Carnival just before we cruised, and the demographic on board was very European. I imagine it still is, but not sure. The other US based lines though, do not worry; English is spoken primarily.

We also did the 12 day Grand Med cruise in April 2013. As stated, announcements were made in a variety of languages, english first. This was also done at the nightly shows.

They keep track of what nationalities are on board, and make announcements accordingly.

They also offer dining menus in a variety of languages. :)

I have a question for someone, a few years ago we took a cruise in the Mediterranean on Costa. English was the last in line of the languages that were spoken on the cruise. We felt very left out and confused most of the time there were only 50 English speaking guests.

I can understand how the English speaking people on the disaster Costa ship felt isolated and scared to death.

My question is this: Some friends want to take a Norwegian Eastern Med 10 day cruise can anyone tell me about the language spoken, is it Italian because of where the ship starts from, this will have a huge bearing on what we decide to do.

Thanks so much

Candy

We did an Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Jade in April. English was the primarily language on board and NCL did do a good job of also have announcements in other languages since passengers came from other non English speaking countries as well. Our experience was this cruise was no different than many others we have done there on Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity and Crystal. Hope this helps, you will be right at home.

Thanks so much

Candy

Each cruise line must declare a "working language" for their ships, which is the official language spoken by the crew for all business. Costa uses Italian as the working language, but NCL has English as their working language for all vessels. Therefore, all announcements over the PA will use English first, and all crew will understand English.

Thanks so much

Candy

Costa although owned by Carnival is an Italian cruise line.Headquartered in Italy. NCL's headquarters is in Miami. English is the primary language. Its the language spoken on the Bridge. All employees are required to know and speak English. You will feel right at home.

on carnival and princess we only heard English. I will go out on a limb here..lol..and guess that ncl will be the same

btw, on our princess cruise they sold leftover cabins at rock bottom prices to the Italians and Spaniards as it was a Venice/Barca itin.....still never heard Italian or Spanish spoken over the intercom.

English is the main language, but if you have bad luck and there is a very demanding group of non english speaking guests (italian) on board it can happen that not only the most important announcements are in multiple languages but also games like deal or no deal or presentations in two alternating languages. Or questions during the senior officers Q&A session that are asked in other languages and not stopped.

Although not a native english speaker it was extremely annoying.

yep what they said lol. Ihave sailed on costa a few times and all the Americans sat together and toured together and English was hard to find. Trying playing blackjack on costa that's a challenge lol. They even forgot to give us our dailys in English till day 5, lol I still loved it. NCL is all about Americans and English language I have sailed them out of Italy and Spain the main language is English you will be fine enjoy

Archived