Anyone pulled their kids out of High School?

KPfromCT

ShakyBeef and fritolayNY, thank you for your kind responses.

fritolayNY, I completely agree. It never fails that within the first month of school, my daughter comes down with strep throat. I understand all the kids have been away from so many other kids for the summer, so they need a chance for their immunity systems to build up again, but every single year this happens. That means someone else sent their child to school with strep throat.

The same thing happened in grade school. I had my kids vaccinated against chicken pox. (Wasn't a requirement, yet, back then) Both my kids came down with chicken pox less than a year later even though they had been vaccinated (thankfully the vaccine kept it minor). Why? Because someone sent their child to school when their child was coming down with chicken pox.

I understand the state only gets paid by the gov't when the child is at school, but the schools make such a huge deal out of perfect attendance (they have a raffle here for High School Senior kids with perfect attendance and give away a free car!!), which causes some kids to end up at school while they are ill....infecting others.

My attitude? We are the kid's parents and in the long run, it's our decision. Whatever works for our own families should ultimately decide, because no one else knows about each person's family dynamics, etc. This, of course, is always based on good grades. I would NEVER allow my child to miss school, for of all things a vacation, if they didn't have great grades. I am thankful, that has never been a problem for my kids. But ultimately, it's the parent's decision and it's no one else's business.

And to the kids who do end up with perfect attendance? Kudos to them as it IS quite an accomplishment. But having had 3 kids out of 4 already graduate, each child had maybe 1 yr of perfect attendance...if that. My kids ALWAYS end up sick at the beginning of the school year and at some point during winter.

I am guilty of sending my kids to school when they weren't 100 percent. Sometimes it had to do with my job but other times teaching them that they have to be strong and work through things. On the other hand, the kid gets a cold, how long do we keep them out of school for, which is different from a fever and throwing up. If my kids ended with perfect attendance because I sent them when they weren't 100 percent, I value that 'award' less. I have missed work to attend awards ceremonies that I thought was stupid. I for one thinks kids get too many awards for things they should simply be expected to do. My daughter just got back from a Christian camp (Hume Lake) sick because one of her cabin mates came ill. I understand how much this retreat means to the kids and honestly understood why she was there.

Faith above all but all else we do our best and roll with the punches.

As a former teacher, and of course a parent, I have never seen the value of 'perfect attendance', especially those kids who achieved it for many, many years. Of course some of them were sent to school sick and infected others, including me. Almost every teacher has had kids who spent most of the day with their head on the desk, or in the nurses office, because they were sick and there was no one at home. In some cases they were trying for perfect attendance.

I also take issue with so many saying that 'only kids with great grades' should miss school. This is very dependent on the child, and, in fact, often kids with average grades get even more out of travel than straight A students.

Having had a son and now a grandson who are very, very bright, but have learning disabilities, I can tell you that they got more out of our various travels than most kids, since they learn best by seeing and doing.

Travel, if done with some thought, is incredibly broadening, yes, even to places like Disney World. If parents take the time to research and talk about places with kids before, during and after vacations, and try to include at least some 'educational' aspects, I'm all for it.

Taking kids out of High School is tougher, especially if they are involved in extra curricular activities, but still can be done with thought and care.

As a former teacher, and of course a parent, I have never seen the value of 'perfect attendance', especially those kids who achieved it for many, many years. Of course some of them were sent to school sick and infected others, including me. Almost every teacher has had kids who spent most of the day with their head on the desk, or in the nurses office, because they were sick and there was no one at home. In some cases they were trying for perfect attendance.

I also take issue with so many saying that 'only kids with great grades' should miss school. This is very dependent on the child, and, in fact, often kids with average grades get even more out of travel than straight A students.

Having had a son and now a grandson who are very, very bright, but have learning disabilities, I can tell you that they got more out of our various travels than most kids, since they learn best by seeing and doing.

Travel, if done with some thought, is incredibly broadening, yes, even to places like Disney World. If parents take the time to research and talk about places with kids before, during and after vacations, and try to include at least some 'educational' aspects, I'm all for it.

Taking kids out of High School is tougher, especially if they are involved in extra curricular activities, but still can be done with thought and care.

Good points, Nebrcruiser. I never looked at it that way and you are right...every instance depends on the child, the parents and THEIR family. Because in the long run, that's what matters most anyway.

I think the heart of these threads should be to share information of how to make the most out of time away from the classroom.

Pictures- each kids has a camera to take pictures they like and tell you about what's interesting. It's amazing what they find interesting about their travel experience.

Post Cards - talk about things that they saw or missed.

Navigation- Print out the directions and let the child help you to navigate the freeways. Also let them be the lead person to finding the terminals.

Compare - the subway, bus, roads in one city or port verses the others.

Budget-let them know why one type of vacation might be a better value than others costing the same or more.

Blackmail- let them understand for all the travel you want a good nursing home with frequent calls and visits.

If you have a young child that can get around a mega ship or resort, know they are able to listen, read, and above all follow directions. That's taking classroom skills to a real level. This might only happen for some families if travel takes top priority. It's not fun vacation or educational experience.

Archived