Anyone pulled their kids out of High School?

KPfromCT

The message I would be sending to my kids if I kept them in public school without being intimately involved is that I don't care about your future. In our district CST testing is in April, so 2-3 weeks before is devoted to review for the test, which last for 2 weeks. That's a month of no new material covered and NO, your child doesn't have to take the CST test. Schools ends the end of May due to budget cuts, so you are required to turn text books in at least by the 3rd week. That last week of school, basically nothing or testing schedule in HS, which means minimum days. So, that another week of school without any new material. Oh those wicked AP classes, well not so wicked. Many teachers spend the entire or most of the year getting kids ready with note cards and practice test. Yes, my son will take over these classes in college but they helped his GPA.

If you have your knickers in a knot about your kids missing a few days of public school ( No Child Left Behind or None Move On) you haven't invested time in the classroom. Your attendance might be the one that matters most. I work in school district so it's my job:D

I feel a little better now speaking to my fellow cruise critic family. yes this is the only time i can vacation. my job is by senority and i am at the bottome of the totem pole. i just don't know how the school will react. but my family is just as important as my son's education. i feel bad everyday not being there all the time because of work.

I know school is VERY important, but my vacation and my son's vacation are not compatible. i am not able to take vacation all the time.

has anyone with children every let them miss a week of school to go on a family cruise? Am I a horrible mom for thinking about this? I already feel guilty but life has been hard for us and we really really need a vacation.

any thoughts??:(:(

We took our grandson when he was 11. Before the trip we contacted the school and got all of the assignments that would be due the week of the trip. Our agreement with our grandson was that he would complete his assignments either before the cruise or while we were on the ship. I highly suggested that he would want to do his assignments before the cruise or he would have to do his home work on the cruise. Fortunately, he took my advise.:D

Chip, you bought parenting, values, and morals, into a discussion about pulling kids out of school and the classroom. This is from a kid who was pulled to play in the snow.

As parents when our kids behave badly we get blamed, when we show pride, we get labeled.

"To my amazing mother, terrific father, and absolutely beautiful little sister.

I love you all so extremely much. I can’t put it into words the amount of feelings I have for you three. You are the most amazing, forgiving, generous, loving family I could ever ask for, I couldn’t be more grateful for the love and support that you give me each and every day. Mom, I appreciate your stern but gentle love, the work you have put in to become a better mother each and every day has shown so brightly and I’m so proud of you for bettering yourself out of the love for your husband and kids. Dad, I honestly couldn’t ask for a better male role model than you. I mean that from the bottom of my heart with all seriousness. I appreciate the sacrifices you make for me every day working at the hospital, I really do appreciate them. You’re easily the best father and best man I could ever think of or meet, I love you. Mikayla, you have blossomed into such a smart, talented, dedicated, GORGEOUS young woman and you only have better things waiting for you. I love you to death, I couldn’t ask for a better sister than you, you make me so proud seeing you dance and get good grades at such an early age, making your own money and getting right on your permit testing, and also staying away from the wrong crowd make me so absolutely happy to call you my little sister.

Mom, Dad, I think this is what you’ve been waiting for. I took a long soul searching walk, and I really realized something. I’m so ready to go into college headstrong and make the best out of it and do my absolute god (darn) best in my studies and academics. I know I might not get the grade every time, but I’ll be (darned) if I look back on my college career and thought, “Man, I could have done better than that.” I’m ready to give it 100000% x 100000. I’m dedicated, motivated, and anticipating me to excel in every task I attempt in college. The payments you two are making are so appreciated, and I ask for you not to look at them like payments, but more as investments into my future. The greatest investment you could ever make, I’m going to work my god (darn) hardest for a deep sense of satisfaction in a job well done in myself, but also the pride of my mother and father. That’s more important than any amount of money or any degree in my opinion. I love you guys. So much.

When we went camping, mom, you asked me to make a bucket list. Well, it’s short, but here it is.

1. Graduate from college in top honors

2. Live life to the absolute fullest with the ones I love.

3. Become a master in whatever category I choose to pursue.

4. Make the town I come from, H----, proud to say they raised me.

5. Make my beautiful sister proud to call me her brother.

6. Make my amazing mother happy and proud in any way shape or form possible.

7. Last, and most important, I want to be more of a man than even my god given father could even predict me to be. I want to make him proud the most.

I’m ready, and it’s about time I really made it known here. Let me remove all of the doubts from you guys. It’s my turn to make you guys proud to say I’m your son."

Blk_Amish, did your son write this to you? It took my breath away!

I myself am a minor, 16 to be exact. I have missed many days of school to go on vacations, cruises etc.

One thing to do is to talk to your child's teacher, or the school, and figure out what he/she needs to do the days you are gone. I naturally try to get my homework before we leave and it gives me something to do on the plane ride (since we live in the middle of the US:) ).

Trust me, you are not a bad parent. Just make sure the child is caught up with school either before or after the trip:)

Check out my blog!!!

cruiseandtravelblog.blogspot.com! :)

I know school is VERY important, but my vacation and my son's vacation are not compatible. i am not able to take vacation all the time.

has anyone with children every let them miss a week of school to go on a family cruise? Am I a horrible mom for thinking about this? I already feel guilty but life has been hard for us and we really really need a vacation.

First cruise-we took all four of my DSs out of school for the week. I did advise all their teachers and requested all assignments ahead of time but we took them out none the less. I had 1 in high school and 3 in elementary at the time.

Our upcoming cruise- we will be taking three of our DS out of school for 6 days- we are traveling a day prior. I will again send notes to their teachers-60 days before we leave advising about the trip and asking that they sign off on the bottom they have read/received this letter. One week prior to vacation I send in another letter reminding them about the fact that my DS will be out for the following week and ask that they send all required assignments home for completion. This time I will have all 3 taking high school classes, at 3 different schools- which means several teachers will need to sign off.

My DSs are good students so missing one week is not going to make their grades drop but education is important so we make sure they still get their required studies in.

Does it make us bad parents, we don't think so but others might not agree. As along as you believe your doing something responsible-don't worry about others-what's good for one family may not be good for another. Go when you must and enjoy yourself, we only get one life.

Happy Sailing!!!

ITCHING to do the Dream repositioning cruise, April 5th. DD is going to be a freshman in HS this year. Her SCHEDULED April vacation is the week of the 12th.:mad::mad: If her grades are good, we are seriously considering pulling her out. Has anyone else done this??????? Thank you in advance!!!!!:D:D:D

Yup- just posted this on another tread but we are also traveling the first week in April 2014-kids vacation isn't until the middle of April for Easter.

First cruise-we took all four of my DSs out of school for the week. I did advise all their teachers and requested all assignments ahead of time but we took them out none the less. I had 1 in high school and 3 in elementary at the time.

Our upcoming cruise- we will be taking three of our DS out of school for 6 days- we are traveling a day prior. I will again send notes to their teachers-60 days before we leave advising about the trip and asking that they sign off on the bottom they have read/received this letter. One week prior to vacation I send in another letter reminding them about the fact that my DS will be out for the following week and ask that they send all required assignments home for completion. This time I will have all 3 taking high school classes, at 3 different schools- which means several teachers will need to sign off.

My DSs are good students so missing one week is not going to make their grades drop but education is important so we make sure they still get their required studies in.

Does it make us bad parents, we don't think so but others might not agree. As along as you believe your doing something responsible-don't worry about others-what's good for one family may not be good for another. Go when you must and enjoy yourself, we only get one life.

Happy Sailing!!!

We did it when the kids were in elementary and middle school...however, once they hit high school, it's just too much work they would miss. (And, my daughter was striving for perfect attendance in HS, so she would have had a fit!!!)

Sometimes, family time is much more important that school!

I think that every child is different. There is no right or wrong answer to your question. For example, we are pulling my son out of school for a week so that we can cruise in September. He is in a gifted program and catches back up pretty quickly. We also let the teachers know in advance so that they can prepare homework to take with us.

This year we are also taking one of his friends along as well. His parents know that we try and include educational excursions as well. This year it's Chichen Itza. Our theory is that he can either read about these places or go and see them for himself!

P.S. -The fact that you care enough to worry shows that you're a great parent!!

Good Luck!

To each their own, but IMHO no one cares if you had perfect attendance in HS. Seriously, when was that ever asked in an interview? Anyways, teachers are not solely responsible for educating our kids and I disagree with an earlier post saying that the Caribbean isn't very educational. The Mayan Ruins and the Cayman Islands alone have been educational for my son. He learned about our heritage and was able to snorkel at the Reef.

As someone who lives among many who have never even travelled outside of this city I say go! Make sure your kids see as many places as possible!

These are my favorite threads :D

Pull on flame suite ;) But aren't you parents with the "perfect" kids and/or those with the "perfect" adults that were pulled out of school missing the point? It is all about values and priorities and where you draw the line. Last I checked I think the in the US we have plenty of time for vacation with the kids and family. Of course their are exception where we do have to pull them out, but for a vacation in the name of saving a few bucks, convenience, or crowds I find funny to rationalize for that. Of course we all get something out of fun family vacations..

I always wonder why do poeple ask, is it because they aren't sure, well trust your heart and values. Of course it feels good to hear others tell about their straight "a' student, their model child that grew up to go to a fine college and become a fine rich adult. The more moral question is about your values..

Based upon the grammatical errors, the punctuation, and the basic sentence structure we can assume this poster may have been pulled out of school for a few too many family vacations. :D

But as long as it appears that his point is that anyone who pulls their children from school are somehow lacking in morals or values, I will address that issue. I do not see it in any way immoral to request to have your child miss one or more days of school for any of several reasons. My DD's school has guidelines for planned absences. If I follow those guidelines how am I demonstrating poor values or immoral behavior?

If I thumb my nose at the rules of my child's school, I would be a bad role model for my child. But our family carefully considers all the implications of any planned absences (whether it be my absence from work, my DD's absence from school, or either of our absences from any of the charitible organizations with whom we volunteer). I believe that working within the guidelines set for my PTO, my DD's time off school, etc., that I am demonstrating that I do value working within the social systems in which I am involved. That is demonstrating good values.

I have a demanding job and have limited times when I can take a week-long or more vacation. Sometimes those periods when I can take off do not coincide with school holidays.

Now to the OP's question - would I pull my DD out of high school for a family vacation? DD is an in-coming senior who has always had a schedule of challenging classes and has participated in a variety of activities. We have not taken a vacation during the school year throughout her high school career and are most unlikely to do so in this her final year as well. While the AP, honors, and college classes she is taking would be difficult to miss, the real issue is the extra curricular activities that most kids participate in throughout their high school years. We have a difficult time trying to fit in a summer vacation (heck, we have a hard time scheduling "long weekend" trips).

The high school years are different than middle school or elementary school years. Planning a vacation at ANY time during the high school years will likely mean that your teen will need to "give up" something. We took a Baltic cruise last August and DD missed one band performance, XC practices, one XC pre-season meet, two AP Chem pre-school sessions, and countless other things (those were just the activities I needed to "write" excuses for). I was honest in all of the excuses and all of the coaches and teachers were fine with her missing.

Yes people have lots of different reasons for taking kids out of school. But I don't think that all reasons are equally valid (e.g., using Blk_Amish's example of spelling bee versus amusement park). . . .
DD's AP Physics class went to the amusement park as a class assignment :D!

Step One - evaluate your child. Does he have the personality and maturity to miss school? Different kids have different learning styles some are more conducive to making up work outside of the traditional classroom than others. Are you committed and prepared to helping him make up the work before and/or after the vacation?

Different states have different rules as to excused absences. Each school district may have its own rules. So Step Two is to check with your child's school district.

Step Three is to check with your child's teacher. If his next school year teacher is not yet assigned, you may want to speak to his principal.

Only then can you really take a step back and decide whether this will work for you. Good luck!

Now to the OP's question - would I pull my DD out of high school for a family vacation? DD is an in-coming senior who has always had a schedule of challenging classes and has participated in a variety of activities. We have not taken a vacation during the school year throughout her high school career and are most unlikely to do so in this her final year as well. While the AP, honors, and college classes she is taking would be difficult to miss, the real issue is the extra curricular activities that most kids participate in throughout their high school years. We have a difficult time trying to fit in a summer vacation (heck, we have a hard time scheduling "long weekend" trips).

The high school years are different than middle school or elementary school years. Planning a vacation at ANY time during the high school years will likely mean that your teen will need to "give up" something. We took a Baltic cruise last August and DD missed one band performance, XC practices, one XC pre-season meet, two AP Chem pre-school sessions, and countless other things (those were just the activities I needed to "write" excuses for). I was honest in all of the excuses and all of the coaches and teachers were fine with her missing.

You made a point that I was trying to make, and did a much better job of it. Kids may be able to make up missed school work, but parents can't make everything grind to a halt while they're gone. We traditionally took trips during our school's Fall Break, Spring Break and Summer Break. Now, even that is very challenging. The PSAT is being given during Fall Break. The state debate tournament will be held during Spring Break. Even next summer is on hold so that DD can go to national tournaments (if she qualifies) and hopefully get an internship.

DD's AP Physics class went to the amusement park as a class assignment :D!
That actually makes a lot of sense to me. :)

The real takeaway from this thread should be that people should travel as much as possible during the preschool and elementary school years.:)

We have not pulled our boys out of school to travel, but we have considered it. Our biggest reason for not pulling them out is that much of their schoolwork are not assignments that are transportable. A lot of learning is now done in groups using technology, which we simply cannot replicate. Fortunately, we both have jobs that allow us to take vacation during school holidays, so it isn't a big deal for us. However, if we were in a position where we couldn't do this, I would be consulting closely with the teachers on how I could ensure their learning goals were met given the resources available. It isn't as simple as when my parents took me out of school for two weeks to travel every winter and we finished all the worksheets and math chapters on the plane :)

Just the fact you are concerned about your son missing school tells me you'll make the right decision for you and for him.

You made a point that I was trying to make, and did a much better job of it. Kids may be able to make up missed school work, but parents can't make everything grind to a halt while they're gone. We traditionally took trips during our school's Fall Break, Spring Break and Summer Break. Now, even that is very challenging. The PSAT is being given during Fall Break. The state debate tournament will be held during Spring Break. Even next summer is on hold so that DD can go to national tournaments (if she qualifies) and hopefully get an internship.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. :)

The real takeaway from this thread should be that people should travel as much as possible during the preschool and elementary school years.:)

Also when the right posters chip in these threads can be very informative. Happy x sailing but the beaches of Jamaica awaits.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

To each their own, but IMHO no one cares if you had perfect attendance in HS. Seriously, when was that ever asked in an interview?

If I had perfect attendance in high school, I would bring it up in an interview, to let them know that I have persistence and tenacity, and also that I'm dependable. In fact, I have achieved perfect attendance at work a couple of years. It was a point of pride for me to be able to do this.

Too bad for my son that I blew it for him early on, when I pulled him out of kindergarten for a week so we could go on a cruise! :eek:

If I had perfect attendance in high school, I would bring it up in an interview, to let them know that I have persistence and tenacity, and also that I'm dependable. In fact, I have achieved perfect attendance at work a couple of years. It was a point of pride for me to be able to do this.

Too bad for my son that I blew it for him early on, when I pulled him out of kindergarten for a week so we could go on a cruise! :eek:

Seniors in high school get skip day, only nerds show up:D. There are worse goals to have than to be present everyday as long as it's not done while sick. Some days I go to work in order to rest. Work can be a nice escape for some as trips are for others.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Travel is a wonderful teacher. Children learn so much about the world and are exposed to so many diverse situations when they travel. Just remember that some schools have a policy that no school work is ever given in advance of a planned absence. So this would mean that all work would need to be made up when the student returns to school.

We have taken both out of school for up to two weeks. More so our children especially when we lived in Europe. Most cases the teachers assigned them some work to do but not always. Last trip with the grandbabies was to an AI in Cancun. Their father is hispanic by birth and the children go to a trilingual school, english, spanish and french. Their assignment for this trip was to keep a daily journal with pictures and drawings in spanish. They took it as an adventure and were actually interviewing many of the staff. They were 5 and 6 at the time. All did or are doing very well in school and it has never been a problem for them. If their academic standing had not been as good as it was we would definatly had second thoughts about jeprodizing their education.

Quite frankly, as a manager, I could care less about whether or not my employees have perfect attendance or not. My concern is if they can get their job done accurately by their deadline, not whether or not they are sitting at their desk. Sometimes that means working from home to get the job done on time.

That is what I emphasize with my kids. Getting their work done, to the best of their abilities, by the deadline set by the teacher is the priority...not sitting in a classroom. When they were younger that was not a problem during the school year when taking a vacation. Sometimes it meant doing work at home or while traveling on the trip. As they got into junior high, high school and college it became more of an issue with THEM with the overwhelming workload that needed to be made up, so we tried avoiding taking days off as much as possible during the school year.

Their grades have always reflected that this philosophy has worked for THEM. My department at work is known for getting the job done right and by the deadlines set...that is what I am proud of. IMHO that is what dependability is all about.

As a side note, I would rather have a sick employee miss work rather than come in to maintain perfect attendance and make the rest of us sick so we can't work effectively either. IMHO perfect attendance holds no value to me. But hey, if it works for you, more power to you.

Your kids will miss classes, especially 5th and 6th period, if they are apart of student government or a sport team. Chances are that will jeopardize perfect attendance. My son wanted to quit ASB to focus more on his 6th period Algebra 2. I said no, you aren't quitting an elected office, so he ended up with B but other AP grades helped his overall GPA. Sometimes the commitment is more important than the grade. ASB in high school is work

If I had perfect attendance in high school, I would bring it up in an interview, to let them know that I have persistence and tenacity, and also that I'm dependable. In fact, I have achieved perfect attendance at work a couple of years. It was a point of pride for me to be able to do this...
I am in the midst of interviewing for two open req's -- as a hiring manager "perfect attendance" does not really get me excited. I've got one direct report who regularly martyers herself to come in "no matter what" -- and on those days I have an employee who is distracted (problem at home), or sick (spreading germs to my other employees), or surly (other things she'd rather be doing) -- in short not productive!

If I were looking at hiring high school kids, I'd be most concerned with unexcused absences and, if the individual had what I considered to be a high total number of absences -- find out why and then determine whether the absences should be a concern.

Archived