Anyone pulled their kids out of High School?

KPfromCT

Get ready for a lot of opinions. Once my boys got to middle school they would have had a fit if we wanted them to miss for vacation. One fought tooth and nail to go even when he needed and had a root canal. (Still went to CC practice and ran 8 miles that day....YIKES!!) And yes, my boys were top students.....they did not struggle at all with work. So it wasn't that kind of issue.

School today is very different from when many adults went to school. There is a LOT of hands on work, collaboration with other students, and significant technology based learning. A lot of work today is difficult to "make up" --kids just end up missing out.

My district's policy is to only give out missed work after absences because work changes based on what the kids do in class, discussions, or the success or failure of experiments. Be sure to check your district policy to see what is stated.

Again you will get a variety of views on taking students out of school, but ultimately it is your decision. (with input from your young adult) Good luck with your decision! :)

This is so true. Science courses with all the lab work almost always have to be made up after coming back. Lots of classes have group work with collaborative learning projects and class presentations. Teachers may let the student do some internet research and write a paper as this kind of assignment really can't be made up either. // The best teachers too have interesting material and classroom periods that reinforce and give meaning / insight / additional understanding to topics presented. Really cool stuff. // It's a personal decision of course and I especially sympathize with people who due to family circumstances can't get a way during regular school breaks. I don't know because I haven't walked in their shoes, but I could see possibly doing this in this situation. // If I had decent options during a school break for a trip, I'd always pick that first, though. Many people travel during school to save money -- now me, I'd just do a more modest vacation that fit in my budget before I'd do that. // It's really based on the parents and the student and how they see the situation. There aren't really any right or wrong answers.

Also consider if your kid will be in sports, band, etc. Many coaches have strict policies on missing practice or games. My kids were in springtime sports and they were not allowed to go away on Spring Break because games were always scheduled for that week.

ITCHING to do the Dream repositioning cruise, April 5th. DD is going to be a freshman in HS this year. Her SCHEDULED April vacation is the week of the 12th.:mad: If her grades are good, we are seriously considering pulling her out. Has anyone else done this??????? Thank you in advance!!!!!:D

Hi Cruisebug! Ok, going to give you my opinion and then tell you to ignore it :D:D We have taken our kids ( 16 and 15 ) out for vacations without any regrets or problems and would do it again in a second! But then, we know our kids and their abilities, they have had no issues at all making up the homework. Now, let me say, talk to your daughter about it, talk to the teachers...who cares what we think...you know your child, trust yours and their judgement. Hell, we might even be on that cruise with you :D:D

Just wondering, why not?

TAKS and STAAR are state mandated tests required for graduation in Texas. Not taking them on the scheduled dates means a make up test weeks or even months later, when the material is not as fresh in the student's minds.

Teacher here [well, retired!] - Please check with the school district for the rules governing absences. Even if the teachers provide work [which is asking them to go over and above normal preparation, since your child will miss regular instruction - oh, but that's a whole separate issue!], the state or the district may not consider a cruise as an excused absence. I don't know about CT, but students in TX who are absent more than 10% of a semester, even if they have passing grades, can be denied credit for that semester.

Some school districts have strict policies about missing school and too many missed days can result in unwanted consequences. For example lower grades, actually not getting credit for courses and having to repeat them. Our district only allows so many unexcused absences and a vacation is considered unexcused.

Good luck!

When they are younger I would say yes. But in our town, once you reach high school, you can only have a limited number of "unexcused absences". An unexcused absence is anything that you dont have a Doctor note for. A parent note is only accepted for funerals. After that you start to loose credit in each subject. You need to check with your schools absence policy.

So glad we took our teenage boys out of the brick and mortar schools! I can't stand the school saying what I could and couldn't do with my children! Every year we would get a threatening letter from the school board (went out to everyone) about how all absences were unexcused except those with a doctors note. (Back then we would take our kids during breaks, so it wasn't because our kids missed a lot of school) Schools can try to bully parents around. Find out your rights because you have more then they like to let on! If they give you issues about it, threaten to put them in online school... then they don't get anything. The real reason they want your kid there every day is because they get paid for every student every day they are there, so if your kid isn't there, they aren't getting paid.

By the way... going on our cruise in Oct. this year!!! So yes my boys will be "missing" a week of school, but it's all good because they can do the work before we leave!!:D

So yes, take your kids on vacation! Whether the teachers feel it's a good learning experience or not!!! Your teaching them what it's like to be in a loving family, which no school can teach! One of my most treasured memories from childhood is when my parents took us out of school for a week to go to St. Thomas USVI. Time well spent, and now that my brother is no longer with us, it makes that time even more special!

Yes, we have pulled our sons out of High School to go on a cruise to Egypt, Greece, Morocco, Italy, and Spain ( all on 1 cruise). We checked with teachers first and they had no problem with it. We did get their work completed before we went on the cruise. Our sons have GPA's of 3.83 and 3.70 and we planned the time away so that they didn't miss anything that couldn't be made up. They did keep a daily log of what they experienced and then wrote a paper using these daily logs. They did this voluntarily to indicate that they were willing to put forth extra effort in order to have the privilege of visiting these countries that have so much historical significance.

My oldest is 16, going to be a senior next year. And yes, we have taken her out for family cruises.

She's a great student, very bright and Mature. National honor society, lots of extra-activities- well rounded kid!

She's never had a problem catching up with any things she's missed. I've got 2 younger kids too (7 and 4) and I anticipate pulling them out for family time too. The only time I wouldn't, would be if my child was already struggling in school.

But bottom line- they are your kids. Do what you want with them, when it comes to vacation time.

My daughter is now in 12th grade, we took her on a cruise OUT of school for 3 days, the rest was on mid winter vacation time, BUT...she caught up on the work quickly, she did a Wonderful report all about the places we visited, and this is where she really started her intrest in photography, she is in the National Art Society carries a 95 average in the class for the last 3 years, Her portifolio is ready for next year! She never fell behind, always did some type of work while on vacation, Her teachers wished they were going with us! We have kids in our schools here in Westchester who go away the week before Christmas break and come back a week after we return to go home to their parents countries (a month their gone) As long as there isn't any state tests going on,,,, everything else can be made up, before school or after school, They'll probably learn it better with the one on one, and from their friends! ENJOY planning your trip!

In my district I can pull my kids and place them on Independent Study. It must be a minimum of 5 days. You sign a contract agreeing to do all the work. These days aren't counted as absences so the school gets ADA. My kids got perfect attendance when we did this but only outstanding attendance when they missed 3 days for basically the same reason. The Independent Study option makes it hassle free.

Enjoy!

Yes we have. Teachers have always worked with us. No problems at all. We always give a heads up at the beginning of school year and a reminder about a month before, in writing (email) and in person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, we have pulled our oldest son out of high school once and will do it again this year (the week after New Year's). Our youngest son is just going into 2nd grade this year, but we've pulled him out for vacation also, and will continue to. We plan our vacations around my work schedule, and try to make sure the kids miss as little school as possible and also make sure they aren't gone during important testing periods.

We went on a cruise last May. We informed all teachers and principals at the beginning of the school year, again after winter break, and reminded them again a month and then the week before the district changed the major test to that week. After discussions between our children, us, teachers, and the principals....we still decided to go. We just took the make up tests when we got back. The high school encouraged us to go and spend time as a family, the elementary principal was the opposite which we thought was kinda funny....many have told us they have had it the other way around....only you can decide what is best for your family....

ITCHING to do the Dream repositioning cruise, April 5th. DD is going to be a freshman in HS this year. Her SCHEDULED April vacation is the week of the 12th.:mad::mad: If her grades are good, we are seriously considering pulling her out. Has anyone else done this??????? Thank you in advance!!!!!:D:D:D

While we never did this (because our son was taking honors classes starting in 8th grade and our school system is very strict....

I always found it interesting that the school would never allow kids to miss school....UNLESS, it was to make the school look good in some kind of competition.

The only time our son missed school was to compete on the debate team, knowledge bowl, science contest or math competition.

Guilty parent here. We are going on Glory in Feb, dd is going into grade 10. DH works at a golf course so must go when he can get time off. I eased my guilt a tad by taking her out the 1st week of her second semester thinking that the first week would be easiest for her. (From Ont).

It really depends on the kid, parent and school district.

We pulled DDtheYounger out of the second and third week of her junior year of high school for a two week trip to Rome.

Would not have done that with the older one.

We copied and comb-binded the pages of her schoolbooks. Much lighter and didn't have to worry about losing the books.

Lol. If the kids are smart their stats make the teacher and school look good. If the other way around it makes all look bad. If tests are scheduled that week and the teachers say take the kids I would start to wonder

The tests don't matter and if it is something you really want to do I say do it. Btw from what I gather it is the crazy sports coaches wrath that you need to fend offf

TAKS and STAAR are state mandated tests required for graduation in Texas. Not taking them on the scheduled dates means a make up test weeks or even months later, when the material is not as fresh in the student's minds.

Teacher here [well, retired!] - Please check with the school district for the rules governing absences. Even if the teachers provide work [which is asking them to go over and above normal preparation, since your child will miss regular instruction - oh, but that's a whole separate issue!], the state or the district may not consider a cruise as an excused absence. I don't know about CT, but students in TX who are absent more than 10% of a semester, even if they have passing grades, can be denied credit for that semester.

Bull. If they KNOW the material, it would not matter if they were tested on it ten years from now.

I know I have different thoughts on education because I hate what I call ten minute knowledge. I wanted my kids to learn the material, not just do short term memory learning.

Parents need to wake up and stop drinking the koolaid on these mandatory test crap.

BTW, I home schooled mine after I figured out how poor the schools were educating them. We did a lot of traveling and not the cruise ship variety.

We are taking ours out in November. Their grades are decent & we plan on asking the teachers for their work so they won't get too far behind. They have nice 9 hour drive there & back to work on it. :) Not to mention, if they misbehave, they can spend time working on it while others are having fun!

What a shame. So an experienced parent in your school who knows that a kid with a slight fever. Cough. Stomach bug etc. which does not need a doctors attention still has to go to the doctor anyway ? I bet there are plenty of sick kids coming to school everyday that should be home resting and getting better rather than spreading germs. And all because of a doctors note

The school is making parents pay for an unneeded doctors visit every time a kid needs to stay home? They should all be fired. That is ridiculous. Kids get sick all the time and doctors visit are not needed for runny noses. What is needed is to keep them rested and away from spreading germs to their classmates.

Archived