Anyone pulled their kids out of High School?

KPfromCT

It really depends on the age of the kids, and the school's policy. I took my kids out in elementary school, for a week at a time, with no issues. They were straight A students, and they either got the work ahead of time (very nice of the teachers to do this), or they made it up when they got back.

Now that my oldest two are in high school, we don't take them out. They are in all honors/AP classes, and it just wouldn't work. They would have to go to all of their teachers (they are too old for me to do this), and hope they would be allowed to make up what they missed, if possible. "Dear AP biology teacher, please excuse Susie from the biology lab she missed, and can't make up, because she was on a cruise. Please give her an A, not a zero. Snowflake Susie's mom."

There is no way they're risking their GPA for a cruise that they can go on at a different time.

To the OP-

Looks like you already got the answer on tests in CT - CMTs and CAPTs are in March

Yes, you will find this subject hotly debated, and only you can know what works best for your kids, their school workloads and school policies. My kids just finished 8th and 11th grades.

From personal experience, I never took my kids out of school for an entire week, and would only have considered it in elementary school (through 5th grade). I have had them miss one or two days going into or coming back from school breaks, and even then had difficulty in getting cooperation from teachers in providing the missed work in advance. This was in elementary school! After that I would just call them in "sick".

I would not even consider having them miss more than a day or so once in middle school or high school. Workloads are just too crazy these days, and they would be too stressed out trying to make up what was missed.

Check carefully with your school for their policies - you may be surprised at how inflexible they can be. Whatever you decide, enjoy your vacation!

It really depends on the age of the kids, and the school's policy. I took my kids out in elementary school, for a week at a time, with no issues. They were straight A students, and they either got the work ahead of time (very nice of the teachers to do this), or they made it up when they got back.

Now that my oldest two are in high school, we don't take them out. They are in all honors/AP classes, and it just wouldn't work. They would have to go to all of their teachers (they are too old for me to do this), and hope they would be allowed to make up what they missed, if possible. "Dear AP biology teacher, please excuse Susie from the biology lab she missed, and can't make up, because she was on a cruise. Please give her an A, not a zero. Snowflake Susie's mom."

There is no way they're risking their GPA for a cruise that they can go on at a different time.

If the absence is 5 or more days and the Independent Study contract is signed , the teacher has no choice. The days are not count as absences , the school gets ADA, therefore the work must be given, as if the child was in school. It not required to communicate with the teacher except out of courtesy. The work is picked up and turned in to the attendance office. The parent is the boss and the teacher the hired hand when the right channel is used. I am not sure how many know the ease of doing Independent Study but it's worth looking into.

If you ask means you aren't sure in your values? What do you think the majority of people on a cruising / vacation board will say :D

My opinion, what you do has less to do with your kids grades, etc. etc. Its about value and behavior. IMHO you are saying reposition = deal. I'm willing to go save $ and compromise my position on school/education.

The reality is missing a day for vacation, sickness or other excuse won't likely change ones larger trajectory in life. The choices we make as parents sets values and this singular one won't make or break, its the larger set of choices we make, share and teach do.

ITCHING to do the Dream repositioning cruise, April 5th. DD is going to be a freshman in HS this year. Her SCHEDULED April vacation is the week of the 12th.:mad::mad: If her grades are good, we are seriously considering pulling her out. Has anyone else done this??????? Thank you in advance!!!!!:D:D:D

If you ask means you aren't sure in your values? What do you think the majority of people on a cruising / vacation board will say :D

My opinion, what you do has less to do with your kids grades, etc. etc. Its about value and behavior. IMHO you are saying reposition = deal. I'm willing to go save $ and compromise my position on school/education.

The reality is missing a day for vacation, sickness or other excuse won't likely change ones larger trajectory in life. The choices we make as parents sets values and this singular one won't make or break, its the larger set of choices we make, share and teach do.

I am almost the OP was asking a question if anyone has done this, hopefully leading to some kind of a YES or NO answer.

Yes, I have done this ............

No, I haven't done this...............

Chip, have you done this..........

I think the thread is intended to provide information not a lesson of any sorts. Majority of the people on this thread have done so with successful result when it comes to grades.

From this thread I learned, if I am considering State University, pulling my daughter and taking her to Europe might be better than her taking AP Euro, a grade she might not need.

Please, please, give us parents a break to provide support and experience without the judgement. I guess in value in that is not live it than study it. The fare would be cheaper in the Spring than Summer, meaning strike when the iron is hot or the deal is around.

Blk_Amish:

You asked for specific experiences.

During our DD's freshman year in high school, we took the family on a trip to Paris. We got a great price on the flights and hotel by going off season. We flew back on the Tuesday after break. DD went to school on Wed. jet lagged. She said that missing two days of school and coming back jet lagged set her back, and it took her at least two weeks to catch up -- longer in her Honors Biology class. She asked us not to do that again.

So sophomore year (this past year) we were careful to plan a Caribbean cruise to coincide exactly with Spring Break, making sure we flew back on Sunday so that she wouldn't miss a single day of school. Got an awesome deal on Aqua Class cabins on Celebrity for the price we usually pay for a regular balcony. After we made final payment on the cruise, we found out that the state debate tournament was happening the week we were gone.:( DD was very disappointed to miss it.

Now it is her junior year. This year, we have promised to put her academic demands and extracurricular activities ahead of our personal vacation preferences. Like Chipmaster said, in the long run it may not make a big difference one way or the other. But right now, everyone (teachers, counselors, parents) is asking/telling DD to buckle down and give her best effort to school, to achieve those good grades and test scores for college admission and scholarships. So I feel like we in turn need to do everything to help her succeed.

Every situation is unique. I'm not judging anyone else. But this is one time when I paid attention to what my own kid told me.

Junglejane (love your name), I too agree with Chip that in the end it might not make one bit of difference. Many of us have shared our experience, because the OP asked who had done this not so much OPINIONS on it. I have carefully built a network for my kids so while taking them would be nice, it won't stop us from going, being survivor of cancer and multiple heart surgeries. This year we left our son, who did not want to go, while we vacationed in Hawaii, with our daughter. If this was an illness, there would be no question, so why wait to be sideline by it. Chickenpox gives two weeks out of school with pink eye about a week, death/funerals gives 3 days, without any enjoyment. Kinda sad that it's Ok to take of if you are sick, but not to enjoy your family. A note from the doctor is preferred over one from the travel agent:D.

I agree every situation is unique but overall, it seems elementary schools is safe, middle school, iffy, but high school, especially the junior year, worth serious thought. I guess another factor is the quality of the school district, some are better than others. My kids are usually ahead of the curriculum, so missing a few days wouldn't really matter, as my daughter did in February for our Hawaii trip.

IMOP, this is a great thread.

NO.. never HS

I did take my daughter out of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade to compete at some National championships. That I thought was worthy, a vacation nope.

I am almost the OP was asking a question if anyone has done this, hopefully leading to some kind of a YES or NO answer.

Yes, I have done this ............

No, I haven't done this...............

Chip, have you done this..........

I think the thread is intended to provide information not a lesson of any sorts. Majority of the people on this thread have done so with successful result when it comes to grades.

From this thread I learned, if I am considering State University, pulling my daughter and taking her to Europe might be better than her taking AP Euro, a grade she might not need.

Please, please, give us parents a break to provide support and experience without the judgement. I guess in value in that is not live it than study it. The fare would be cheaper in the Spring than Summer, meaning strike when the iron is hot or the deal is around.

NO.. never HS

I did take my daughter out of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade to compete at some National championships. That I thought was worthy, a vacation nope.

There is the OP answer:D

The classroom is ONE of the many important things in our family's life, so it won't always take priority.

My son graduated top honors and winner of Ronald McDonald Future Achievers Scholarship.

OP- please enjoy while you can:D

We've done it, and lived to tell the tale, lol. But like others have said, try to avoid whatever major testing that may be happening if possible. We let the school know ahead of time, and were able to collect homework for the kids. Our rule was they couldn't play in their camps/teen programs until it was all done. They started in on the work before we left, and finished the rest in the car on the way, so the big books didn't have to cruise. The funniest part was our kindergartner had more work to do than her 7th & 12th grade sisters!

We did tell the teachers where we were going, and the middle school teachers assigned a bit of extra research about the islands we'd be visiting. Se got credit for it, and we all learned a bit more than just the touristy stuff. :)

Make sure you check your schools policy ahead of time. Our school policy (so probably the NJ state policy) used to be that if you missed or were late for a class 15 times you would have to repeat the class no matter what your grade. This became an issue for a friend of mine (a teacher) because her son had been late more times than she knew about for one class because he happened to have the previous class on the other side of the building.

There will probably be no others teenagers on the cruise. In the long run, the repercussions from taking your child out of high school for a long cruise where they will miss their friends and miss some important classes and have to cram to catch up, in order to sit around the pool for days at a time (if you are lucky and the weather is warm enough) may not be worth it.

On the other hand, we've had friends sleep over for a few weeks when their parents were on vacation and everyone has had a great time. They were old enough to go home to shower and change, so less of a burden on us.

Yes, I have taken my kids out of high school for a holiday. Before I talk about it, let me state that we do not live in the USA and that school rules are different in my country. There is no "No child left behind" policy and schools are not funded according to attendance records. Here, much of the work in senior classes is individual rather than group work, and the study is self-motivated, in preparation for tertiary education.

I think that each family has to decide for themselves whether or not taking their child out of school will adversely affect their schooling. It may be possible for a good student to catch up on missed work, while a student who is struggling academically will be disadvantaged. Much also depends on co-operating with the teachers and on making sure that the children fulfill their part of the bargain.

We took our three teenagers (14, 16, 17) out of high school for a whole month, for a visit to the USA. My DH had to go there for work-related reasons.

• They were all good students, with good test results.
  • We talked to the kids before-hand and gave them options - come with us (but you must keep up your school work) or stay home, boarding with friends or family. They all chose to come with us.
  • We forewarned all their teachers, who were helpful and gave assignments in advance. The teenagers worked hard and were able to complete some assignments before we left.
  • Each child traveled with a backpack full of schoolbooks and they had to do 2 hours of homework every day we were away. They did this on planes and trains and in hotel/motel rooms.
  • All three teenagers kept their part of the bargain and completed their assignments and they all had satisfactory exam results and school reports at the end of the year and they all went on to complete tertiary education.

We did plan our trip so that, as well as the "fun" things, it included places that could be considered "educational":

• Seattle - a day trip to tour the Boeing aircraft factory.
  • New York - all the usual tourist sites, but we included Ellis Island (immigration history) and the Statue of Liberty.
  • Washington DC - the White House and several museums.
  • They got accustomed to using the metro transit systems in New York and Washington DC.
  • Florida - Kennedy Space Centre, Everglades, Disneyworld (very educational!)
  • New Orleans - Jazz bands (DS2 played trumpet in a jazz band at school), Mississippi River (Geography and History).
  • Las Vegas - we saw the Hoover Dam and flew over the Grand Canyon.
  • San Francisco.
  • Big Sur Highway.
  • Los Angeles and a day trip to Tijuana.

We felt that it was worth all the planning and that their education did not suffer. I would not be so keen to take the teenagers out of school for a cruise, unless that also included places where they could learn.

I do remember my own school days, back when there was no routine immunisation for childhood illnesses. My fellow pupils and I all missed school on several occasions: - measles (3 weeks), mumps (10 days), chickenpox (2 weeks), whooping cough (6 weeks). Somehow, we all ended up literate and numerate!

Just my 2 cents:

How does your daughter feel about being taken out of high school?

Knowing teenagers, I think that should be your biggest concern.

Some teens don't want to miss out on whatever they have going on. She knows if missing that much work or tests, as well as sports or music practices will be detrimental to her school year.

Personally I think this should be first and foremost above school policy or testing schedule.

When I was in hs I would've been pissed to be pulled from school to vacation with my parents. The amount of make up work to be done(which may have included spending lunch or free periods in an added study hall, as well as an entire weekend and possibly staying up until 2 am some nights) along with the possibility of being benched a game for missing sport practice...not to mention being away from friends and boyfriend(who I thought was my soul mate-lol)...

Middle school or elementary are fine, but high school age is a whole different thing.

Of course this all depends on your child and parenting style. Just wanted to pass along perspective.

Oh to answer your question: I would have no issue pulling a younger child from school. An older one I would ask their opinion and go from there. If my child didn't want to go, then he could stay with relatives that week, or we would just plan our trip for a different time.

• Seattle - a day trip to tour the Boeing aircraft factory.
  • New York - all the usual tourist sites, but we included Ellis Island (immigration history) and the Statue of Liberty.
  • Washington DC - the White House and several museums.
  • They got accustomed to using the metro transit systems in New York and Washington DC.
  • Florida - Kennedy Space Centre, Everglades, Disneyworld (very educational!)
  • New Orleans - Jazz bands (DS2 played trumpet in a jazz band at school), Mississippi River (Geography and History).
  • Las Vegas - we saw the Hoover Dam and flew over the Grand Canyon.
  • San Francisco.
  • Big Sur Highway.
  • Los Angeles and a day trip to Tijuana.

!

Learning goes beyond the classroom.

In our district you can make up absences and missing work in Saturday school, which is offered several times per triad. Saturday school used to be for discipline, now it's also done to make up absences, so the school gets ADA. My kids have resisted going to Saturday just to make up absences

I always love this question ;)

Our school district allows for 7 days of EXCUSED "Family Vacation Time" every year. So we use it - every year. It has very little to do with traveling during the Summer verses the school year because we travel all year round :)

It just gives us more time to throw in another cruise.

I picked up my daughter's report card last week (she is going into 8th grade and is in one of those fast track classes where they combine high school classes with college credit courses when they reach 11th grade)

She received straight A+'s (No A's around here - she scores above THAT) and had her 5 missed days (for Epic last year) and only one bad comment from her Algebra teacher "she talks too much" - just like her mama! ;)

I think we'll be fine.

"she talks too much" - just like her mama! ;)

I think we'll be fine.

Well, at least she comes by it honest, LOL!

My kids go to a private school, and we have pretty much the same policy. They feel family time is important too. I would be less likely to pull them if they were't good students though.

And mine talk too much too...this year my youngest had to have her desk moved to the corner, all alone...BTDT! ;)

It's really nice to read about kids doing well and making the grade despite not having perfect attendance. Also whose parents know learning is not limited to the classroom. My favorite award is Student of the Month. Of course I take the day off from work and pull them out of school for the rest of the day for a special treat. I work in my kids' school district and sometimes at their school. They know I am only a phone call away to keep them in check but they have their moment of attitude:D.

Another reason why we budget so that we can take vacations during summers is so that the kids can relax as well. Our vacations are for our entire family, we want everyone to be as carefree as possible (though sometimes us adults still do have to check in with work, etc.). I would never want my kids' vacation filled with books, research papers, deadlines to meet before they are allowed to enjoy what the cruise has to offer. (And doing a powerpoint project or scrap book on the islands we visited as "make up work" would definitely not cut it in my kids' high school). My kids don't even want to vacation on spring or winter breaks because they have a lot of schoolwork to complete over that time as well, group projects to meet for, etc... Therefore, we know it is summertime cruises for us so that everyone can have a blast, not have to worry about work (or school). I realize this isn't possible for every family due to parents' vacation limitations, etc., but I am very thankful we can.

Another reason why we budget so that we can take vacations during summers is so that the kids can relax as well. Our vacations are for our entire family, we want everyone to be as carefree as possible (though sometimes us adults still do have to check in with work, etc.). I would never want my kids' vacation filled with books, research papers, deadlines to meet before they are allowed to enjoy what the cruise has to offer. (And doing a powerpoint project or scrap book on the islands we visited as "make up work" would definitely not cut it in my kids' high school). My kids don't even want to vacation on spring or winter breaks because they have a lot of schoolwork to complete over that time as well, group projects to meet for, etc... Therefore, we know it is summertime cruises for us so that everyone can have a blast, not have to worry about work (or school). I realize this isn't possible for every family due to parents' vacation limitations, etc., but I am very thankful we can.

Veering off topic a bit, but this post speaks to one unfortunate side effect of the American (though not exclusively American) education system. The unintended consequence of the way we split "education" and "free time" is that several generations of us have broadened the concept to separate "learning" and "fun". The fact that your - and most other - children consider the prospect of learning something while on vacation to be a *detriment* to the experience rather than an *enhancement* is a significant indicator as to why the U.S. Ed. system has fallen behind over the last generation or so. Too many of of our educators have failed to teach our children that learning is its own reward.

My BIL is one of those people who has bought into this philosophy with his son. I remember an occasion when we were all visiting the in-laws (his parents). His young son / my nephew had wandered into grandpa's study. Grandpa started showing him his globe, where we are, where other things are, you know, normal stuff, and my BIL swooped in and quickly removed his son from the room, claiming that this isn't school! He should be having FUN, not learning stuff... That's what school is for! :rolleyes:

Surprise surprise, his son HATES school.

Anyway, I guess I'll get off my soapbox. :)

Veering off topic a bit, but this post speaks to one unfortunate side effect of the American (though not exclusively American) education system. The unintended consequence of the way we split "education" and "free time" is that several generations of us have broadened the concept to separate "learning" and "fun". The fact that your - and most other - children consider the prospect of learning something while on vacation to be a *detriment* to the experience rather than an *enhancement* is a significant indicator as to why the U.S. Ed. system has fallen behind over the last generation or so. Too many of of our educators have failed to teach our children that learning is its own reward.

My BIL is one of those people who has bought into this philosophy with his son. I remember an occasion when we were all visiting the in-laws (his parents). His young son / my nephew had wandered into grandpa's study. Grandpa started showing him his globe, where we are, where other things are, you know, normal stuff, and my BIL swooped in and quickly removed his son from the room, claiming that this isn't school! He should be having FUN, not learning stuff... That's what school is for! :rolleyes:

Surprise surprise, his son HATES school.

Anyway, I guess I'll get off my soapbox. :)

I haven't bought into any kind of philosophy. I just don't think my kids need to be reading textbooks and writing papers while on a cruise, if we can afford to vacation outside of school time. I'm guessing I should have been more clear...I don't prohibit learning on a cruise for goodness sake! Of course my kids learn on a cruise....believe me they are very well-rounded.

On vacation, we take a break from structured eduation. They learn wherever they go....but the type of learning they do on vacation is drinking in the sights, sounds around them, meeting other people both on and off the ship, learning about the islands through experiencing them, not locked in their cabin doing the work they are missing while not in school. This frees them up to fully enjoy our time away.

Am I wrong in thinking that we all (kids and adults alike) like to vacation to relax and get away from the everyday? For them the everyday is classroom schoolwork, so during the summer and on vacation, we take a break from structured learning to enjoy each other's company and read books they want to read (both are avid readers) and experience different cultures (and yes do the summer work required by their school). I don't think timing a vacation during what is generally considered vacation time is really any kind of detriment to learning....would making them miss school be better?

Surprise, surprise, my kids love school AND love their vacations!

These are my favorite threads :D

Pull on flame suite ;) But aren't you parents with the "perfect" kids and/or those with the "perfect" adults that were pulled out of school missing the point? It is all about values and priorities and where you draw the line. Last I checked I think the in the US we have plenty of time for vacation with the kids and family. Of course their are exception where we do have to pull them out, but for a vacation in the name of saving a few bucks, convenience, or crowds I find funny to rationalize for that. Of course we all get something out of fun family vacations..

I always wonder why do poeple ask, is it because they aren't sure, well trust your heart and values. Of course it feels good to hear others tell about their straight "a' student, their model child that grew up to go to a fine college and become a fine rich adult. The more moral question is about your values..

Pull on flame suite ;) But aren't you parents with the "perfect" kids and/or those with the "perfect" adults that were pulled out of school missing the point? It is all about values and priorities and where you draw the line. Last I checked I think the in the US we have plenty of time for vacation with the kids and family. Of course their are exception where we do have to pull them out, but for a vacation in the name of saving a few bucks, convenience, or crowds I find funny to rationalize for that. Of course we all get something out of fun family vacations..

I always wonder why do poeple ask, is it because they aren't sure, well trust your heart and values. Of course it feels good to hear others tell about their straight "a' student, their model child that grew up to go to a fine college and become a fine rich adult. The more moral question is about your values..

We are caring adults no flame, that is childish. I don't have perfect kids but kids with perfect GPA, more of a academic gift from God nourished by us. Most people have 2 weeks off in the US, comparison to my family in other countries anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. PROUD MOMENT, my son got his AP score today, 4's of 3 of the test he took. I guess I pull my kids to enjoy things NOW for the same reason I don't wait for old age to travel. At 50, I am a 20 year survivor of DOUBLE open heart value replacement surgery. Wanna roll the dice for another 10, 15, 20. Vacation, fun, learning are year round activities with acceptable result so far. As a family our priority/value is to create a balance and waiting for the hottest months of year to travel doesn't work for us at times. When something is going on with our kids, we take off work as well. I pull mine or take off as a RULE!

Chip, please look into my signature, those trips were taken in the last 5 years, majority with my kids and NOT always in the summer or even at the cheapest times. I have asked in the past, because I know I live among those who see value in showing up or waiting for old ask to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Chip, I guess I want to know who is chipping in:D

The question is , how would our decision change if we truly belief tomorrow may never come. For me no different, because I LIVE everyday as such!

Values....I tend to believe my and my kids values are just fine and I'm very proud of my kids who are now 16 and 19. Values that we place importance on are Faith, Family, Friends, School, and Jobs. Sometimes one value takes priority over another, but that doesn't mean any of them are any less or more important than the other with the exception of Faith which is the glue that holds it all together for us. At the times we planned vacations during the school year (for whatever reason) we made sure education was covered with make up work. IMHO, when missing some school time for family time, the getting the work done right is more important than sitting in the classroom to do the work. Now if the child cannot or is not willing to do the make up work is a different story and would cause other decisions to be made by us. But that, IMHO is a personal family decision and not a moral decision.

Ahhhh Chip we "value" our family. We travel all year long and we do not allow a school schedule dictate when our family chooses to take off and see the world together.

As the person a couple of posts above me so eloquently said - none of us know how much more time we have to spend with our children. I don't intend to waste one minute of it. ;)

Archived