Departing from Southampton

tall steve

I am departing from Southampton on P&O's Ventura in September 2013, on my first cruise.

Is it better to have a cruise and park deal, or park on the dockside with C and PS parking, or is there a better way?

Ship-side port parking is operated by ABP or CPS, depending which cruise line you use. It's easily the safest & most convenient, but it's also the most expensive. About the same as long-term on-airport parking at Heathrow, Gatwick et al. If parking isn't included in your cruise offer & you haven't yet booked the cruise it's worth shopping around & asking the travel agents if they'll throw in the parking.

Main alternatives are:

off-port secure compound parking, with a 15-20 minute shuttle-bus such as

http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/southampton-port-parking.html

IMHO not worth the saving for a week, well worth it for three weeks, personal opinions if it's for two weeks.

Beware any photos which give the impression that the ship is only a few hundred yards away - it is, but on the opposite side of Southampton Water :rolleyes:

Meet-and-greet. A driver takes your car from you at the terminal & brings it back when you return. Some horror-stories about this type of parking, but some folk swear by it.

In a local resident's driveway. A growing market, best known is https://www.parkatmyhouse.com/

Some provide transfers to the port.

Hotel stay & park deals. Parking in the hotel's carpark, with a night's pre-cruise stay. Usually not 100% secure, but pretty safe & I've not heard of any problems. I'd use it for a Mondeo, but not for a Lamborghini.

Most include free transfers - beware that many on this list are miles from Southampton & would be an expensive taxi ride.

http://www.destinationsouthampton.com/hotels-and-accommodation/accommodation-list-information/

JB :)

Just to say that we have done park at my house twice with no problems and for a very reasonable price especially as one of our cruises was 22 days and would have cost a fortune on some sites.

If we drive down the day before, we usually stay at the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Drive, which is right at the docks, and pay around £150 for dinner, B&B and 15 night's parking.

We've just stayed at the Ibis (spotless! :)), near the station, for around £50, double room, no food (thought the breakfast was only about £7), and they're offering parking for £5 per night in a "barrier" gated car park. The taxi cost £6.10p. to Ocean Terminal (Ventura, Azura).

Archived