6 nt France & Spain on Independence

Have you done this before with RC? We had initially booked a JS on the freedom going to the Western Caribbean but for $20 more we were able to get a GS and go to ports we have never visited! (Paris, Bilboa and Gijon, Spain) I'm a little apprehensive as it looks like this is the only trip Indy does to these ports. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this itinerary in years past or if there is anything positive you liked about the ship? We'll have our two kids with us and with the new revitalization, I think they will enjoy it.

I posted this in the ship thread but haven't gotten a response. Only one other person I know of as they started the roll call for this trip! RC told me there were only two GS available the other day so there have to be people out there wandering the same questions above!

Look forward to hearing from y'all!

Have you done this before with RC? We had initially booked a JS on the freedom going to the Western Caribbean but for $20 more we were able to get a GS and go to ports we have never visited! (Paris, Bilboa and Gijon, Spain) I'm a little apprehensive as it looks like this is the only trip Indy does to these ports. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this itinerary in years past or if there is anything positive you liked about the ship? We'll have our two kids with us and with the new revitalization, I think they will enjoy it.

I posted this in the ship thread but haven't gotten a response. Only one other person I know of as they started the roll call for this trip! RC told me there were only two GS available the other day so there have to be people out there wandering the same questions above!

Look forward to hearing from y'all!

I don't know about the ports but Indy is a great ship and really good for kids with fab kids clubs and the H20 water area.

It has a great bunch of staff, excellent entertainment and the grand suites are great with the perks.

I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that as you'll have your 2 kids with you, you won't be able to take advantage of the free drinks hours in the concierge lounge ???????

(Actually I think kids are allowed into the CL with parents)

You're sure to have a great time.

I suspect you will get different answers from each side of the pond. I can see why people from the US would want to do Bilbao, Gijon & Paris but I personally wouldn't dream of swapping the Caribbean for Europe.

Ha my European friends say the same thing! We do love the Caribbean but we aren't crazy about the Western itinerary outside of the Cayman's which are a short flight from here. I actually feel safer in Spain than I doin Jamaica and Mexico! Regardless, we love Spain and as you said, coming from the states it is exactly why I want to be in Europe!

What can you tell me about the weather then? It says average temperature in 60 s F. Sound right? I just don't want to be cold by the pool! I went to the Mediterranean in early November and it was much warmer than we had expected! I'm hoping it will be the same case while on the coast of Spain...

If you want good weather cruise the med in July Aug and September

Try and get one that stops in Vigo if ex Southampton . A fabulous city . And Santiago do composted a close by too .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hmm well the cruise line states Le Havre (Paris) so I guessing they do tours as we are there until 9pm that night. I'm stuck with this itinerary now so I'm going to make the best of it! I don't mind warm to cooler weather for touring but am hoping on sea days it is warm enough to lay by the pool for a bit

The train from there is quick .

Tgv probably . It's doable but only do it as a rccl tour just in case of delay

And yes if 9pm departure worth doing.

Also from there and recommended is if course the Normandy beaches / ww2 tour - absolutely fascinating

TGV takes just over 2 hours but only run every 2 hours. Gets in to Gare St Lazarre which is in walking distance of the Tuilleries.

Weather can be variable.... expect rain. Bay of Biscay...... last time I was there they closed the outer decks on Indy.... can be very rough.....

We've been lucky on the bay of b

Like a millpond ... I'll report back in a few weeks if that's the case this time !!!

We were fine heading south..... was on the return leg from the Med that I lost my sea legs!!! Literally!!

Thanks for all the replies! I got nervous though. So, after all that I just switched our reservation to a Western Med itinerary! I was worried about not having warm weather :-( my grand suite is available now though! I had to book a JS as there weren't any bigger suites available. :-(

Thanks for all the replies! I got nervous though. So, after all that I just switched our reservation to a Western Med itinerary! I was worried about not having warm weather :-( my grand suite is available now though! I had to book a JS as there weren't any bigger suites available. :-(

Good choice, ports like Gijon & Bilbao in northern Spain can be quite chilly and damp in May. We returned from a 14 x night Spain, Portugal & Canaries cruise in May and the sea days when off the coast of Spain & Portugal were indeed very chilly. The top decks were deserted apart from a hardy few.

The Med however will be very pleasant in May.

Archived