allowable drinks to bring on board

vicocala

I am a Diet Pepsi fan and would like to know if it is allowable to bring them on the ship either at embarkation or from a port of call? If so, how much am I allowed to bring without fear of confiscation? I really don't care for Coke products and if I am not mistaken, that is the brand of choice on board.

Thanks!

Some friends of ours are BIG Pepsi fans and last spring on the Westerdam, she bought 2 cases of of the stuff, taped the cases together with duct tape and slapped a luggage tag on the thing and checked it with her luggage. It was delivered to their cabin with their luggage.

by "case" i mean 24 12oz cans of diet coke.

and my bothering was purely a matter of price - i paid not quite $7 for the case, and would've spend substantially more consuming an equivalent amount purchased onboard.

p.s. yeah, i've tried coke zero and find myself alternating between it and diet coke... i've grown to love the 'bite' that diet coke has, and coke zero is definitely a 'rounder' taste.

p.s. yeah, i've tried coke zero and find myself alternating between it and diet coke... i've grown to love the 'bite' that diet coke has, and coke zero is definitely a 'rounder' taste.

Good descriptions. I too love the 'bite' of DC, but my first 12 pk of CZ is very nice- sweeter and, as you say, w/out the bite. My real carbonated favorite is Diet Orange Crush which has to be specially ordered in cans at my supermarket, but I'm a good customer so my local manager is a doll to get it in for me. Now I feel obligated to buy what he gets and I could be selling it out of my pantry! :eek:

I have read this thread with interest. I love Coke but cannot bring myself to pay the price onboard when I can get a 12pk at home for $2.50. I will be sailing from Vancouver but will try to find some Coke onshore to take back onboard now that I know it will be allowed. Maybe some will think me cheap but I can't stand being charged high prices because I am a "captive" consumer.

We brought along 2 12pks of Pepsi cans and had NO problem whatsoever! Our cabin steward even cleaned out the 'fridge for us so that we could have constantly cold sodas!

We don't drink Coke so for us, it was a no-brainer!:p

Thanks everyone for your input. I was talking full cases, but the twelve packs are a good idea also. At their current prices two full cases of diet pepsi would probably be close to what a card would be. Perhaps a couple twelve packs would suit and if I am still looking for more I could spring for a couple of glasses of something else.

I appreciate everyones responses! Blue skies!

I have read this thread with interest. I love Coke but cannot bring myself to pay the price onboard when I can get a 12pk at home for $2.50. I will be sailing from Vancouver but will try to find some Coke onshore to take back onboard now that I know it will be allowed. Maybe some will think me cheap but I can't stand being charged high prices because I am a "captive" consumer.

Do you also bring your own drinks when you go to a restaurant? Just curious...

can't speak for her, but if i was stuck eating at the same restaurant every day for a week - and they didn't forbid doing so - yes, i would bring my own drinks.

Actually, when I go to a restaurant I drink water or coffee. And yes, I plan to brew some of my own coffee on board. Our cruise this time will be 25 days and I hate the coffee onboard. I seldom buy soda at all and maybe that is why the prices seem so high. Of course I buy coffee at Starbucks and never complain about the price so go figure!

When you're staying at a resort hotel for a week do you raid the mini-bar whenever you're thirsty rather than bring in a six-pack or two-liter bottle from a local store or supermarket:confused:

Just curious ...

I don't usually drink pop, so I bring a couple bottles of good scotch.

I've never gotten drunk during a cruise, and being on vacation, I don't think it's indicative of a drinking problem if I have a scotch in my hand at 0900. Do You? [bill (and your friends), don't answer that]

Besides, I drink a LOT less scotch than others drink pop.

When you're staying at a resort hotel for a week do you raid the mini-bar whenever you're thirsty rather than bring in a six-pack or two-liter bottle from a local store or supermarket:confused:

Just curious ...

Yes, I do. The $10 extra over a week is much less than the hastle is worth...

I am a Diet Pepsi fan and would like to know if it is allowable to bring them on the ship either at embarkation or from a port of call? If so, how much am I allowed to bring without fear of confiscation? I really don't care for Coke products and if I am not mistaken, that is the brand of choice on board.

Thanks!

Vicocala (cool name!) It's totally up to you to bring Diet Pepsi or any other soft drink onboard with you either at embarkation or at any of your stops/ports of call. Many passengers do it, in addition to a lot of the crew. You won't have any problems with HAL and, like's been said, you can use your cabin fridge to keep them cold. Have a great cruise!

Funnily enough, Dave, we've considered it around here! I can't drink sugared pop, and I love my Diet Coke ('Coke Light', in Europe). It's brand new on the island, and very few people carry it. It's a running joke with two or three of our regular places -- I keep telling them I'm going to bring a few six-packs for my own private 'pop cellar' and let 'em charge me a corkage fee for it!

Lane:p

Also, if you guys are talkin' pop -- Dr. Brown's Diet Cream Soda and Black Cherry soda really hit a top spot. Being friendly with Brazil, we also get a drink called Guarana (guar-a-NAH) from down there, super dooper! 'Antartica' is a brand I see is now sold in NA.

to me, the decision about lugging-in your own stash of soft drinks is geared both to availability (e.g. if you're a pepsi drinker and only coke products are available onboard) and to the quantity you'll likely consume (which directly affects cost). in the example above, i'll blow through $10 in the minibar before lunchtime on day #1 - so, in that regard, it's worth the effort to cart-them-in (which wasn't that difficult for me - i took an already heavy rolling-bag of scuba gear and just made it all-the-heavier! :p).

but, if you only drink one can a day (or less) - and especially if the same type can be had onboard - i can see why it wouldn't be worth the bother... i, on the other hand, had to limit (pace?) myself to 4 cans a day (or less) so my case would last the duration of the cruise (which i note is a LOT less than my normal daily consumption at home).

and thanks copper! My name comes from my name and location as you may have guessed. Vic in Ocala, FL.

It has always been my handle in various forum and I like the way it sounds too! :p

Thanks again for the well wishes for our first cruise, we are excitedly looking forward to doing the document dance!

Archived