Best cabin for January Crossing

Bojeanne

I am considering a January crossing from NY to Southampton on QM2. I usually choose a deck 11 cabin with plexiglas balcony, but in such cold, windy weather and high seas is it better to choose a lower deck and maybe an ocean view cabin? I'd be so pleased to hear from people who have crossed in winter. Thanks.

I am considering a January crossing from NY to Southampton on QM2. I usually choose a deck 11 cabin with plexiglas balcony, but in such cold, windy weather and high seas is it better to choose a lower deck and maybe an ocean view cabin? I'd be so pleased to hear from people who have crossed in winter. Thanks.

Hello Bojeanne,

The problem with the window cabins they are all quite far forward. Perhaps in In Hull Balcony mid-ship on deck 5 would be suitable, very steady and concealed from the elements.

Jonathan

I was on the 2013 January crossing in a forward inside on Deck 6. No issues whatsoever. Hardly felt the ship move.

I would go for a midships sheltered balcony for this trip. My personal preference is deck 4 (closer to the water:)), but some prefer deck 5. Which ever deck you chose, if you will have an outside cabin, go for the starboard side as it is going to be facing south for the crossing, and you have a good chance of getting a bit of sun. You probably won't spend much time on the balcony, but even if you just get a bit of sun, it is really wonderful. Have a great time. Winter crossings are the best!

As others have said, low midship in an inhull balcony is where you want to be. I was on the QM2 in December 2011 when we had three days in a row of very rough seas with winds up to 70 mph. Just as we pulled away from the docks in Southampton the captain came on and said to have everything secured in our cabins as we are headed into the teeth of two storms we cannot avoid. He did alter course to reduce the effect of the winds and slow the ship down. The QM2 rides the rough water very well, but still lots of movement. I was in the Commodore Club one morning when a wave washed over the windows there, making the room go dark for a few seconds - that did make me set up and take notice. Whenever I felt uneasy, an hour in the cabin made me feel fine again, very little movement there and plenty of fresh air. I believe it was 4072. We made NY on time as the QM2 has reserve speed. These cabins were considered "inferior" by many when the ship first went into service, but have become quite popular which is now reflected in their pricing.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I, too, like to be close to the water to see the high waves, but normally do not like the sheltered balcony cabins. But this time I will definitely go for the lower sheltered cabin. Looking forward to crossing in winter!

Yes, don't do the Ocean View cabins if there's chance of rough weather. We were also on the December 2011 crossing and the my parents had one and it was hard to spend time there in the worst of it. Also, in November 2009 there was rough weather and I was in an Ocean View and I had to get out when things were bad and sit (with a bloody mary..) in the Chartroom to recover.

Archived