Lox ?

IBRelaxin2

I loved the Lox and Bagels on CCL, so I wanted to buy some Lox back home. Problem is I can't find a package that says "Lox" on it. I'm assuming the thin filet packaged with the name Sliced-Smoked Nova Salmon would be the same, but I'm not sure. Help! I'm dying for a Lox/Bagels fix and I don't want to open this up if it's the wrong stuff. :o

Yes, you're right. There are different types of smoked salmon though - some saltier than the others. We prefer the Scottish smoked salmon to the Norwegian, but I can't remember the brand name. Happy eating!

Lox is brined and then smoked (usually lightly smoked). The brining will generally determine the saltiness of the product.

Smoked salmon is not brined. Either or both should be found in the refrigerated case at your grocer's.

IMHO both are great with the bagel, cream cheese, a little onion and some capers.

Charlie

Smoked Salmon and Lox are fairly interchangeable. Nova is less salty than regular.

If you have a good Jewish Deli in the neighborhood, that would be the best place to go. Hand carved (or sliced) if avilable is considered superior, but hard to find these days.

Enjoy :)

Most major supermarkets carry nova salmon which is cold smoked and home recipes take 2 wks but commercially done in 2 days. The other type of "lox" is gravalax which is a refrigerated, brined salmon which is less salty and about the same price but not as easy to find. prices here on the west coast are $3.50 to $4.50 for 3 ounces. However, I've also had some smoked salmon at the store that is just as wonderful as the lox and priced a little better.

The gravalox that I have seen is raw salmon that is packed in a salt/spice mixture for something like 24 to 72 hours. The salt and spice cure the salmon so that it can be sliced and served. The chef on a cruise last year did a demonstration of this.

The term means buried (grava = grave) salmon.

Like many foods and beverages, some of the treat is trying as many different variations as possible and find the one(s) you like.

Charlie

Lox, Smoked Salmon, whatever you call it, we love it. DH particularly likes Pastrami salmon although our newest "flavor" is dill gravlax; I love it just as is, maybe a little chopped onion and capers.

(Love Cruis'n: We can have a lox discussion when we see you! Soon, Soon, only 3 more weeks.)

I don't know if Palm Bay is anywhere near Delray Beach or Boca Raton, but if it is you'll find a lot of places selling lox! Up north here we used to say look in the Appetizing Department, but not too many stores still have that department. Most is pre-packaged.

Something I've tried since living in Europe -- put a tiny touch of horseradish (cream horseradish if such a thing exists where you are) on top of the lox. It gives it a bit more flavor!! Now if they would only start making bagels here locally!! (On Tenerife, where we spend most of the year, they wouldn't know which are the bagels and which is the lox -- old joke; but in Germany, where we are the rest of the time, Bagel Brothers franchises are the newest thing and a real gold mine.) Our luggage is full of bagels every time we travel to anywhere in the U.S.

Anyone else on the Infinity -- October 23rd?? See you there for bagels and lox and I'll bring the horseradish.:D

My favorite way of eating lox is atop a thick piece of German black bread that has been well slathered with cream cheese. It's a true heavenly delight and very difficult to achieve here in Central Ohio where German black bread is as scarce as hen's teeth.

Dianne

Archived