Hotel for New York cruise and Broadway trip

Davey Wavey

We, me and DW, are driving into New York and want to see Lion King the night before the cruise. After reading many many posts, I need input on the following:

Embassy Suites, Secaucas, NJ - $256 for 1 night with free parking for 8 days of cruise and free transport to the cruise port, but not from. That $35 per day to park at the port is philosophically not possible. :)

For Broadway, take NJ Transit #40 bus to Newark Penn Station then some subway???? to somewhere near the theater and walk a few blocks. I'm not sure about subway schedules or the bus schedule to know if the subway and/or bus would still be running after an 8pm show. And maybe there is a hotel better positioned to Broadway with a park and cruise package?

From the cruise port back to the hotel post-cruise a taxi, but I don't know how much a taxi should cost.

Sooooo, I especially need help/details on the trip to Broadway part. Also, the hotel seems a little steep if anyone has suggestions for less expensive hotel/parking that doesn't include too much "take the train to the bus to the subway to the taxi" transportation switches would be appreciated.

Oh, and what is the dress code for a Broadway play?

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]Davey ~

See this thread for a discussion of transportation options into NYC from Harmon Meadow, Secaucus:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867234[/URL]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]The upshot is, it's easiest and quickest to take the NJ Transit bus #320 to the Port Authority Terminal in Manhattan. It's a fairly short walk to the theatre from there.

Here's the timetable for the #320 bus:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL]http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf[/URL]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]
(Buses & subway trains run morning, noon, & night--all night long. When they call New York the city that never sleeps, they mean it!;))

You see a range of dress styles at the theatre or concerts in New York. I usually wear a blazer & khakis; sometimes a tie (usually in the fall/winter), sometimes not (definitely not if it's hot & humid like it is today). DH wears a nice (but not fancy) dress or blouse and skirt. But that's just us. A collared shirt or "country club casual" polo shirt and presentable slacks is fine for men--leave the jacket behind if you want; dress or blouse and skirt/slacks for women. Also keep in mind that some theatres can be overly air-conditioned.

BTW, I wouldn't take a taxi back to Secaucus from NYC after your cruise. Because it's an interstate trip, New York taxi drivers aren't required to take you to NJ--and they're not allowed to pick up a return fare in NJ; and they can pretty much charge you what they want. A car service, with a price set in advance, would be far preferable. (I'll let others make specific recommendations.)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jeans, nice shorts, t-shirts, polos, pretty much everything goes at the NY theater.

Maybe not on Opening Night, but in the 15th year of a show like this, no one cares what the audience is wearing.

Thanks, that njtransit trip planner site and trinityreservations.com was what I was missing. So just one more question...no offense to anyone in New York. Walking at night from Times Square to the theaters and back is relatively safe? I know walking a few blocks in our downtown in the dark would be an unhappy experience.

Walking in New York at night from the theater to Times Square at night would be perfectly fine. However, if you stay at a Newark Airport hotel, I would consider either taking a cab from Newark Penn Station to your hotel or paying the extra money to go to the Newark Airport Station and taking the airport shuttle back to your hotel. The Newark Penn Station area is a place you don't want to hang out waiting for a bus late at night.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites last year and highly recommend it. We walked very late at night from Times Square to the bus station with no issues. I find Manhattan to be extremely safe. We always walked from the bus station all over Manhattan and never had any issues.

Thanks for all the responses, but we decided to cruise out of Florida instead. I thought cruising from NY would be a quick intro to the city and save some money, but between gas and all the travel expenses, it was getting significantly more expensive than just flying to Florida for a cruise. I just didn't know NY was so expensive...I don't get out much. :(

We will do a 10 day land vacation to NY next July instead. I have to see Lion King on Broadway, and I was so excited while looking at Google maps to see an WWII aircraft carrier sitting next to the cruise terminal and that it had a space shuttle on it and planes and a sub! And the stores...so...many...stores. And tall buildings. So much stuff that I want to do there.

Lion King is playing in Cleveland right now and in Pittsburgh in September. It's virtually the same show, no need to pay much more money, probably sit further away, and have the expense of a trip to NYC.

If you do go to NYC, see a show that is not going to be in our area every other year for the next two decades.

It played in Columbus in 2008 for about 6 weeks but I never went. I thought it was a miniature or lite version of the NY one even with great reviews. I have never been to a play since I was lead in a Christmas play in 4th grade, so I have no reference for how they work. It was just like when Cirque De Soleil came to town, I didn't want to see it until after I saw a permanent one in Orlando. I had never been to a circus, either. It confirmed for me that I don't like clowns... Like I said, I don't get out much...

[quote name='Davey Wavey']Thanks for all the responses, but we decided to cruise out of Florida instead. I thought cruising from NY would be a quick intro to the city and save some money, but between gas and all the travel expenses, it was getting significantly more expensive than just flying to Florida for a cruise. I just didn't know NY was so expensive...I don't get out much. :(

We will do a 10 day land vacation to NY next July instead. I have to see Lion King on Broadway, and I was so excited while looking at Google maps to see an WWII aircraft carrier sitting next to the cruise terminal and that it had a space shuttle on it and planes and a sub! And the stores...so...many...stores. And tall buildings. So much stuff that I want to do there.[/QUOTE]

You are referring to the Intrepid aircraft carrier. The space shuttle exhibit reopened for tours July 4 weekend as there was damage caused by Hurricane Sandy that needed repair. Come back to this forum when you are ready to tour NYC and feel free to ask questions.

[quote name='Davey Wavey']It played in Columbus in 2008 for about 6 weeks but I never went. I thought it was a miniature or lite version of the NY one even with great reviews. I have never been to a play since I was lead in a Christmas play in 4th grade, so I have no reference for how they work. It was just like when Cirque De Soleil came to town, I didn't want to see it until after I saw a permanent one in Orlando. I had never been to a circus, either. It confirmed for me that I don't like clowns... Like I said, I don't get out much...[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about (most) clowns.

The touring versions of shows are usually at least 90% as good as what is in New York City. You'll get a smaller orchestra and less elaborate sets, but you'll get 100% of the music and dialogue, plus you'll get actors who are trying their hardest to "graduate" to Broadway. On B'way now, you're getting the (approximately) 11th group to perform Lion King. They are all fantastic, better than me and probably better than you (I was only in a 2nd grade play, so I bow to you and you're 4th grade experience), but they generally aren't headliners or Tony Award contestants at this time.

Archived