Anyone on Allure of the Seas just recently? Unlimited internet - true or false?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if you can use your iPhone to connect to Allure's wifi, then use it as a hot spot to connect several devices at the same time..

That way only your phone is logged in and you don't need to log in log off everytime you want to switch devices.

It can be done if the phone's internet source is 3G/LTE, then use the phone to emit a wifi signal as wireless hotspot for your other devices to connect...

But not sure if you can turn your phone into a personal wireless hotspot if your internet source is already WIFI as it is already being used to acquire the ship's wireless signal..

I'll just experiment on this once I get onboard. Hope the unlimited package's price varies with the current ship's passenger capacity on that particular sailing.

I'm not sure if you can use your iPhone to connect to Allure's wifi, then use it as a hot spot to connect several devices at the same time..

That way only your phone is logged in and you don't need to log in log off everytime you want to switch devices.

It can be done if the phone's internet source is 3G/LTE, then use the phone to emit a wifi signal as wireless hotspot for your other devices to connect...

But not sure if you can turn your phone into a personal wireless hotspot if your internet source is already WIFI as it is already being used to acquire the ship's wireless signal..

I'll just experiment on this once I get onboard. Hope the unlimited package's price varies with the current ship's passenger capacity on that particular sailing.

That will not work since the wifi is connected to the uplink provider and cannot also produce another network.

There are devices that do this, but the other devices need to be close to the box producing the network which defeats the purpose of being able to use the internet across the ship.

I just recommend logging off and logging back on on different devices.

You absolutly can't do that, create a hot spot with Wi-Fi on an iPhone. You can only do it with cellular data.

By the way you can do that on a Mac computer.

The unlimited deal is a great deal for the cruise line. Not for many of us. Had no alternative to the $149 unlimited package. (the price in May) The other plans offered were useless. Usually I only spend $50 to $75.

Thank you for confirming that..

So I guessed it correctly that "wireless" hot spot works only on cellular data.

But I presume theoretically, it will work if I connect my iPhone to my laptop via USB and choose USB only instead..that is if iOS allows me to by not disabling the personal hotspot button if it is connected to a wifi network instead of 3G.

Will try it once there is a wifi signal since I'm using 3G now.

The unlimited deal is a great deal for the cruise line. Not for many of us. Had no alternative to the $149 unlimited package. (the price in May) The other plans offered were useless. Usually I only spend $50 to $75.

It is only useful for the heavy data user, or those who cannot do work on cached things offline, those who don't want the hassle of logging off everytime to avoid accidental charges and doesn't bother spending for this extra convenience.. for for those who want to blog live almost 24/7 while cruising, documenting everything and posting pictures of his/her vacation

to social networks instantly , or those who are fascinated with new technologies since only Allure as of now has this kind of high speed unlimited package among all the cruise ships in the world

It is only useful for the heavy data user, or those who cannot do work on cached things offline, those who don't want the hassle of logging off everytime to avoid accidental charges and doesn't bother spending for this extra convenience.. for for those who want to blog live almost 24/7 while cruising, documenting everything and posting pictures of his/her vacation

to social networks instantly , or those who are fascinated with new technologies since only Allure as of now has this kind of high speed unlimited package among all the cruise ships in the world

While the WiFi on Allure was faster than when I went on Allure the first time, it was not in May 2013 High Speed. I would call it faster speed. Not frustrating slow speed like before. I actually had higher speed than that on Ruby Princess in December of 2012. That ship had the fastest internet I have had so far. So unless they have increased the speed on Allure since May I would not call it high speed.

I was wondering if they allow VPN connections...

I need it to connect to my office network in case something urgent came up. Hope they are not blocking VPN.

Generally, Allure's internet is getting a favorable reviews from CC members.. won't really know how fast is it until I try it.

Did someone run a speedtest app on it?

I think I do it once I go onboard this November, at least we will have a benchmark info.

I need it to connect to my office network in case something urgent came up. Hope they are not blocking VPN.

Generally, Allure's internet is getting a favorable reviews from CC members.. won't really know how fast is it until I try it.

I think I do it once I go onboard this November, at least we will have a benchmark info.

I've never gotten a VPN to work. I've tried various types without any luck. Maybe you have access to different types than I did, but the VPN has to be able to work with the very high latency that is characteristic of satellite links.

I've also not tested a VPN on Allure since Allure has gone to unlimited internet pricing.

If I've absolutely needed to establish a VPN, I've had to wait until I was in a port with a land based internet connection.

I've never gotten a VPN to work. I've tried various types without any luck. Maybe you have access to different types than I did, but the VPN has to be able to work with the very high latency that is characteristic of satellite links.

I've also not tested a VPN on Allure since Allure has gone to unlimited internet pricing.

If I've absolutely needed to establish a VPN, I've had to wait until I was in a port with a land based internet connection.

They usually block VPNs and other stuff too but it would not hurt him to try...

Reviews are good because it is usable now, not frustrating. I just would not call it high speed. It is not like your home or work WiFi. VPNs are usually blocked but I have not tried using one on Allure.

Archived