Komodo Island

Cassicruiser

will you see dragons anywhere near when you get off, or go to souvenir hut?

I think there is a place where you can buy a ticket and have a viewing, but I did not investigate it since we had pre-arranged. Our guides came from another island to do the tours.

When you get off the tender on the pier you will walk and step on the beach. We met our guides there and made the payment. You may be able to find a place where you buy a ticket and get a tour if there are guides available. Usually about 10 in a group. We had about 7 groups arranged by our tour coordinator who did an excellent job.

Do not wonder off by yourself. These creatures run free on the island. That is why you will see in the village that the houses are built up off the ground. The dragons kind of stay where they are suppose to, but I did not see any barriers keeping them there. They are so called in the wild. You don't want to be close to one without one or two park rangers to sacrifice themselves to save you. These lizards can bring down a deer. They can move as fast as a dog runs. This is not a zoo like Singapore or San Diego. That is what makes it interesting and something not to be missed if you are in this part of the world. Just be safe.

Do not wonder off by yourself. These creatures run free on the island. That is why you will see in the village that the houses are built up off the ground. The dragons kind of stay where they are suppose to, but I did not see any barriers keeping them there. They are so called in the wild. You don't want to be close to one without one or two park rangers to sacrifice themselves to save you. These lizards can bring down a deer. They can move as fast as a dog runs. This is not a zoo like Singapore or San Diego. That is what makes it interesting and something not to be missed if you are in this part of the world. Just be safe.

The houses are built on stilts for two reasons - as protection from snakes and flooding. The graves of villagers are covered in sharp coral to deter the dragons from digging up the dead.

While it's true that dragons have attacked people on very rare occasions, they pose no threat in the same way that a lion or an elephant might in the wild. They tend to grab the leg of a deer or a buffalo and wait until the poor thing dies of blood poisoning and then the dragon eat it at leisure, the deader, smellier and fly-ridden and maggoty the better. They are fairly disgusting creatures.

Edited by Fletcher

You can walk off the ship for free. If you want a tour or transportation somewhere, there will be a cost.

On our cruise last February on ms Rotterdam people were only allowed to go ashore holding tickets for a walking tour or having booked tours as Komodo is a national park. Nobody was allowed on the tenders without this. We saw the first dragons very close to the tenderdocks. But indeed guards (with sticks....) were around to force people to keep a certain distance. Those big animals can run at a speed of 25 kms. per hour, most people cannot.

We have seen a dragon walking up the stairs of the hut near the visitorcentre.

Edited by Ine

You can see Komodo dragon at Sydney zoo. and I know a few others have them in North America also at Singapore zoo......[/quote

I think you have missed the whole "animals in natural environments" thing (or are near as possible) here. :D:p

For instance, why go to las vegas when you can see it on TV?;)

The houses are built on stilts for two reasons - as protection from snakes and flooding. The graves of villagers are covered in sharp coral to deter the dragons from digging up the dead.

While it's true that dragons have attacked people on very rare occasions, they pose no threat in the same way that a lion or an elephant might in the wild. They tend to grab the leg of a deer or a buffalo and wait until the poor thing dies of blood poisoning and then the dragon eat it at leisure, the deader, smellier and fly-ridden and maggoty the better. They are fairly disgusting creatures.

Right Fletch,

I enjoyed the touring village and seeing the dragons in the wild better than the pink beach.

Have been to the Singapore zoo and the San Diego zoo and seen Komodo in a cage.

So really seems to be mixed experiences. Some say you can't get off without a booked tour, some say you can. I wonder if it depends on the cruise line policy. We will be on Celebrity, does anyone have experience of Komodo on Celebrity that can shed some light?

If you can get off the ship on your own, is there a visitor centre? And can you book a tour there? One of the reasons I started this thread is because I don't want to see the dragons,and just want to go the village and/or Pink beach, so I wonder if that is possible?

So really seems to be mixed experiences. Some say you can't get off without a booked tour, some say you can. I wonder if it depends on the cruise line policy. We will be on Celebrity, does anyone have experience of Komodo on Celebrity that can shed some light?

If you can get off the ship on your own, is there a visitor centre? And can you book a tour there? One of the reasons I started this thread is because I don't want to see the dragons,and just want to go the village and/or Pink beach, so I wonder if that is possible?

Call Siska and ask her

KOMODO ISLAND TOUR SISKA

info.komodotheedge@gmail.com

Tel # Country code 62-812-3815441 From US you would have to dial 011 first.

Mobile- 62-144876314 Use whatever you have to dial in Australia to get long distance to dial a country code.

Edited by scapel

Call Siska and ask her

KOMODO ISLAND TOUR SISKA

info.komodotheedge@gmail.com

Tel # Country code 62-812-3815441 From US you would have to dial 011 first.

Mobile- 62-144876314 Use whatever you have to dial in Australia to get long distance to dial a country code.

Thanks so much. I have just emailed Siska, so will see what advice she comes back with and let you all know.

I received an email reply back from Siska - but the prices are so outrageous that I sent an email back asking her to clarify as I can't believe that these prices are correct.

She quoted $195 per person (special price, as she says) for minimum 5 people for a full day incl trekking, lunch, pink beach and komodo village. Excl camera fee(?)

I then asked her if she can do a half day just to Pink beach and Komodo Village (ie no trekking or lunch) and she quoted $95 per person. (plus camera fee)

Seriously?? - so for a family of 5 that would be almost $1000 for a day's excursion, or $500 for a half day.

Looks like Jeffrey in one of the posts above is half the price, although still very expensive.

Edited by Cassicruiser

I received an email reply back from Siska - but the prices are so outrageous that I sent an email back asking her to clarify as I can't believe that these prices are correct.

She quoted $195 per person (special price, as she says) for minimum 5 people for a full day incl trekking, lunch, pink beach and komodo village. Excl camera fee(?)

I then asked her if she can do a half day just to Pink beach and Komodo Village (ie no trekking or lunch) and she quoted $95 per person. (plus camera fee)

Seriously?? - so for a family of 5 that would be almost $1000 for a day's excursion, or $500 for a half day.

Looks like Jeffrey in one of the posts above is half the price, although still very expensive.

Did you ask her if you could get off the ship without a tour.

Here is last year's info:

For the price i gave you first time it without lunch and now the new price with lunch and for your info Komodo island is remote area that's why all logistics more expensive than in the city..January is peak season all price is increased, the price we give you is best offer to your group

Please kindly make sure where the boat tender, normally cruise ship will tender (anchor) near the island of KOMODO NATIONAL PARK (LOH LIANG) then from the cruise ship will provide speed boat and transfer to the Jetty (harbor in Komodo island) form that jetty we meet your group with all the guide in charge then proceed trekking to explore the Komodo island to see the dragons, there is no vehicle there in the island it self

if the cruise tender in LABUAN BAJO it will be more cost and if start form Labuan Bajo to Komodo island (Rinca) TAKES 2,5 HOURS BY LOCAL WOODEN BOAT so The price will be USD 75/person minimum 60 person

PS : snorkeling at Bidadari island instead of pink beach cause time not enough to go there but if the cruise tender in Komodo island (loh Liang) the price still USD 60/person (as per my last email)

about trekking in the island takes 1,5 hours if you are able and willing to explore the island and see the dragons in their habitats you can walk with the guide and a ranger man , but if not you can also asked all the guest who didnt want to trekking but can find the dragon near the front office or just half of the trails we are flexible for that

but please make sure for the tender place first

Hope this suit to your question

Thanks

Siska

=======================================================

=============================================================

Take the price without lunch and bring a sandwich or something off the ship. The lunch wasn't much.

==============================================================

They had sent out a document which we printed to get off the ship, but no one ask for it. Probably because I arranged for all 70 of us to get off on the first tender.

===========================================================

A link: http://www.adventureindonesia.com/komodo-welcome.htm?gclid=CP75gIO39a4CFQrCtgodR2PpLg

Art ended up with a group of 70.

Edited by scapel

I had saved this note from a previous cruiser before our trip and thought it an interesting read for this thread.

=========================================================

KOMODO REPORT

\Report # 66 March 5, 2012 Monday Slawi Bay, Komodo, Indonesia

We were here, to Komodo, about three years ago, so we almost did not take the tour today. It was such a different type of day, weatherwise, that we were glad to have repeated this expensive excursion again. Another good reason to book through the shore excursion department, was that we could not have gotten off of the ship without the HAL tour. It turned out to be a pretty exciting day.

Here are a few facts on these world's largest monitor lizards. These dragons, as they are called in Komodo, can grow up to 10 feet long, and weigh up to 300 pounds. They are powerful with lethal teeth and talons that are as sharp as razor blades. What sets them apart is the fact that their saliva carries a deadly bacteria that infects and sickens its prey. They thrive on goats, pigs, deer, and smaller dragons. The oldest fossils found date back 130 million years ago and they have been extinct for millions of years......except for this island and the few closer islands. They are on the other islands, because they can swim for a long distance. Of course, they are an endangered species, now protected by the Indonesian government. Declaring this National Park a UNESCO World Heritage Site has also helped to preserve them.

Dragons can live for 50 years. The females lay their eggs, which are buried under trees. They take 8 months before they hatch in the spring. The smart hatchlings climb the trees in order to survive the hungry adults. They live in the treetops for up to three years before they are large enough to defend themselves. They are all capable of speeds up to 12 mph, can swallow large animals without much chewing, and are known to have killed and eaten local people, especially small children.

Now comes the best part.....the first tour group of the day left the ship via tenderboat at 11am. We were part of that group of 25. Oh boy, the first sacrifices of the day. Remembering the last time we were here, the dragons we saw were pretty much asleep, since we had a hot and sunny day. These fierce creatures prefer to hunt in the coolness of the early morning, then again in the late day. Because this morning was heavily overcast and dark, these animals were way more animated than three years ago. We had just started our hike into the wet forest, when our guide received a call from the guides "holding" four large dragons in the waterhole area right ahead of us. One of the dragons had slipped past the guides, and was on his way in our direction. By the time our guide said to move fast off of the trail, the monster was upon us, moving at least 12 mph, straight at us. We never saw people move so fast, but there was a problem. There was no place to go since we were flanked with dense jungle. The trail was so muddy, it was a miracle no one slipped and fell over the trail rocks. It took three guides with long wooden sticks with a forked end to keep that animal away from us. Photos of him charging at us had to be the best ones we took today. What a mean-looking creature. He just kept turning his head and trying to go where he wanted, just inches away from our tasty-looking legs! He ran into the brush, then stopped and stared, totally mad at the world. Our guides said to walk away slowly as the the fellows kept their sticks on him. We walked a lot faster than slowly.........

Once at the staging area or waterhole, three more dragons were being "held" by the guides. Our guess is they were drawn here perhaps yesterday, more than likely by fresh deer meat. These dragons were actively moving and looking for a way out. They did stay still long enough for all of us to get photos and video of them. That was when group number 2 arrived at the opposite end of the area. They spooked one of the dragons, who saw an opportunity to escape right through the middle of our group. Once again, we scattered in all directions, actually hearing a few curse words from our crowd. We think that may have escaped our lips too. One older man, who considers himself a physically fit person, yelled for us not to run. Yeah, sure, we thought, you stay there and become dragon bait. We can run faster than 12 mph when necessary. One nice Dutch gal, a pool buddy of ours, had no idea how close that dragon got to her as she ran the wrong way. Her husband was one that had cursed as he was one of the first out of there. Like we said, it was an exciting morning that we did not expect.

The rest of our hike was much more peaceful as we looked for birds, learned about the native trees, and found out about the poisonous snakes that hide in the grass and overhanging tree limbs. We do not think we could have handled any more surprises like snake appearances.

As we neared the end of the trail, local ladies were handing out much appreciated bottles of chilled water and small cans of soda. Right behind them, was another smaller dragon, inching its way into the overgrowth. We had to track this one down to get a photo. Could be that the smaller, younger dragons keep a low profile in order to survive.

Several raised wooden buildings were scattered near the beach area. In one of these buildings, was a counter set up with water and snacks for sale. Other items the vendor was selling were very nice quality t shirts, caps, and Komodo pins. We bought one artist-type t shirt, and one pin, which we collect. The vendor promised us that he had the best shirts there, and we found he was right.

Many Tamil deer of all sizes were grazing near the buildings, unaware of the danger of the dragons. Since these deer were almost tame, we assume they are raised to be a food source for the lizards. We did see one small feral boar, and have heard that goats are a favorite meal for the dragons as well. In fact, when Komodo was opened in 1974, dead goats were thrown in a pit for the dragons to viciously rip apart and consume them. In old film clips, we have seen this done for the groups of tourists that paid to see the grisley show. The practice has since been stopped, leaving the dragons the chance to hunt naturally on their own.

At the very end of the trail, blue tents were set up to cover souvenier tables. You had to walk through this to get to the pier or the beach. All you heard was "Hello, over here, lady, lady, mister, mister, buy from me, etc, etc, etc..... If you were interested in a carving perhaps, they would even throw in a string of white or black pearls, pretty decent knock-offs. These fellows love to put the flame under the pearls to show they are real, but we know for a fact, that the fire trick is bogus. They know exactly when to pull the flame away before the plastic paint burns. But you can't blame them for trying. We did buy some earrings last time, and they have held up rather well for the price of $5.00.

Instead of rushing back to the ship, we walked the small beachfront, collecting some sand and tiny seashells for our beaches of the world sand collection at home. Saving some of the small jam jars from the restaurant, we find they make the perfect vessel to hold the many samples of sand. They also work well for desert sand too.

After going back to the ship on the unbelievably hot and humid tenderboat, we had intended to go to the pool for a cool swim. But by the time all the photos were finally down-loaded on the computer, it was time for the 4:30pm sailaway party. It was well-attended and this time, many trays of chicken tenders with sweet and sour sauce were passed around by the wait staff. Hurray! Since we had missed lunch, it was a nice treat. The ship left late by 5:30pm or so, because a tour was late in getting back. There were absolutely no passengers that we talked to that did not enjoy the stop here today. We had braved the heat and hungry dragons, and survived to tell the story!

Siska had sent out an email with an attachment that included vouchers to show the ship so you could get off.

==========================================================

lalan Tukad Balian Wirastya 1 No.2 DPS,Bali - lndonesia

PH I O36L720677 CEL10811114242 -08123815441

E: info.komodotheedge@gmail.com

Date : 09-Sep-12

operator: Siska

Name of Party: Group #1

VOUCHER

NO tOO2494/V!</OU2O13

TOTAL : 10 PAX PH:

TO : EKT- Kadek Suciati

Pbdse hovide lo owlng r€'tulces: celebtv M lenlum Cruise

One day l(onodo Excurtion on ll January 2013 (9 am-4 pm)

Neme

Name

Name

Name=============================================================

We divided into groups of 10. As I said no one ever asked for the voucher, but if you are doing a private tour I suppose your guide should e-mail you one. Art had to make a deposit of about $10/person before we arrived.($700) I watched him pay the guide representative about $4000 on the beach. He had collected the balance from each couple at the cruise critic party.

Thanks for that info Scapel - very informative. I checked with Siska and she said no one is allowed off the ship's tender without a guided tour.

Sounds like everyone had a great day - but I guess it comes down to whether you can/want to pay the prices for any of the tour options on this day. For us it's just too steep considering we are a family and there are many other stops where we would like to do tours. Also we are not keen on seeing the dragons so the price to go to the beach and the village just isn't worth it for us.

Thanks for that info Scapel - very informative. I checked with Siska and she said no one is allowed off the ship's tender without a guided tour.

Sounds like everyone had a great day - but I guess it comes down to whether you can/want to pay the prices for any of the tour options on this day. For us it's just too steep considering we are a family and there are many other stops where we would like to do tours. Also we are not keen on seeing the dragons so the price to go to the beach and the village just isn't worth it for us.

See if this link will work.

Now you can say been there done that and move on.

Thanks Scapel - that link validated why I don't want to see the dragons :eek:. What awful creatures...

Would have loved to go to the village though, but the beach is a beach, even though its pink, so I am fine with my decision to stay on the ship that day, and will enjoy many more excursions and tours in our other ports that are not at highway robbery prices. My husband is keen to see the dragons, so he may just do the trek only with my son.

Thanks so much for all your help and input. No doubt I'll find you again on the Asia board as I do more planning.

You should go see the Dragons!

You only truly regret the things in life that you did NOT do....

Maybe see if you can get a squad of Marines to go in your group.

The Indonesian Marines are tough as nails. :)

Edited by popcan

On the day before arriving at Komodo the cruise director announced that you could go ashore to visit the stalls selling t shirts and handicrafts if you paid the national park fee. If you were going to see dragons and deer, on the day we were there were some dragons and deer in that area. This would save paying an expensive tour guide. The dragons we saw on the walk were no different than the ones in the ranger station area. In fact the largest one we saw was near the stalls. The trek is not worth the money. The village is especially if you have children, it gives them a perspective of how lucky they are back home to have the resources our schools have. Jennifer

Edited by SWANOZ

You should go see the Dragons!

You only truly regret the things in life that you did NOT do....

Maybe see if you can get a squad of Marines to go in your group.

The Indonesian Marines are tough as nails. :)

That's just it - I want to see everything else on Komodo - just NOT the Dragons. I don't even like looking at little lizards, let alone lizards on steroids. Call me chicken.... My nephew has a bearded dragon as a pet, and he posts pictures of them on facebook which scare the &^% out of me. Lucky he lives on the other side of the world so I don't have to visit him with that 'thing' in his house.

On the day before arriving at Komodo the cruise director announced that you could go ashore to visit the stalls selling t shirts and handicrafts if you paid the national park fee. If you were going to see dragons and deer, on the day we were there were some dragons and deer in that area. This would save paying an expensive tour guide. The dragons we saw on the walk were no different than the ones in the ranger station area. In fact the largest one we saw was near the stalls. The trek is not worth the money. The village is especially if you have children, it gives them a perspective of how lucky they are back home to have the resources our schools have. Jennifer

Jennifer, that's exactly why I would like to take my kids to the village. That great to know that there is a possibility to get off the ship at least to go to the stalls. Now I just have to pluck up the courage to get off the ship if we are allowed to, and try and ignore whatever dragons are around. (Pathetic, I know)

• 3 years later...

Komodo: Independent passengers on Princess have to register that they have a non-Princess excursion with guide booked and that one will not be let off the pier unless a guide is waiting, rubbish, you do not even have to book a tour, get off the tender and you may even see a Komodo dragon on the beach for free.

I suspect you can even hire a guide with stick right at the pier.

Or book with KOMODO MAS TOUR (gatawula.peynet@gmail.com) and get a private guide with stick to ward off the dragons. Warning: This operator wants to be paid before via PayPal and you may not be able to get there via tender due to high waves! Good idea to negotiate payment at end of tour for each port except Semarang (Borobudur temple) as it has a pier.

Seniors may not like the 1,000m walk to the watering hole, where the dragons are fed to stay there for the photos and not to snap at the tourists. I saw an attendant with stretcher and walkie talkie on the way to the watering hole as seniors have collapsed in the heat and humidity. You may even see a dragon on the beach right at the pier, no bathing!

Some guides even take you on a 4,000m walk up a hill, so it pays to say something like "Orang cacat", pronounced "tshashat" or "handicapped" person if the guide's English isn't the best, but they all learned English from watching ABC TV International, which our politicians decided to cut, sad, as the high school fees in Indonesia are expensive.

The new concrete pier is also very long (1,500m ?), so if you are not too well on your feet like my wife just get off the shorter wooden pier, look at the souvenir shops (the running of the gauntlet!), dragons, tame deer and pigs and get back onto the tender at the shorter wooden jetty as the concrete jetty is used later due to tides.