Back from Viking Forseti- Rhine Getaway

tulok

FotoPeg -You actually have 3 Christmas markets in NYC: Union Square; Bryant Park; and Columbus Circle. Our fav is Columbus Circle. There's also the smaller one at Grand Central Terminal. Looking forward to your report of the cruise as we are doing the same next June.

TravelBugM ~ you are SO right! I forgot about Grand Central Station - and that's a nice warm one since its inside!!! Columbus Circle - I didn't even realize one was there - where is it exactly - will have to get there this year!!!

Thanks much - I've lived in NYC all my life and can still learn something new!!!

Just returned from Viking's Rhine River cruise from July 13 thru 20. We had a great time. Kudos to Program Director Darren and Concierge Katherine. They seemed to be everywhere answering people's questions and making sure everyone got on the right tours. The waiters in the restaurant were great. As stated by Tulok we also had Alvin, Roger and Cristi for most meals and they could not do enough for you. These people never stopped working. We also had Auriel in the lounge and he had a dry sense of humor. We cannot say enough about the rest of the staff and how friendly they were. Our cabin steward ,Dragos, kept the room spotless.

The first night an Arosa ship tied up to us in Breisach but this was the only time on the cruise. In the morning I went to get a map for the optional Colmar trip and came upon a passenger who was complaining to Katherine about this. She very professionally handled his complaint saying that Viking does not have say in some towns how to dock. The person than left complaining how he had to pay extra for his none view. I told her she had better patience than me and that I would have given him a great view of the Rhine by tossing him over the rail. She said it was part of her job to listen. Some people just have no civility and think they can treat people rudely.

The tours were every morning and this worked out well as the towns do become very busy with all the tourists. We were very lucky the guides we had were entertaining and gave good information on their subject.We had plenty of time to do our own thing in the afternoons with a little pre planning.

The only tour that we felt that fell a little short was the Kinderijk windmill tour. The views were good but there was not much else in the area to do.

The one suggestion I would make to Viking on this cruise was that the restaurant be opened at 6:00 AM on the day they sail thru the Castle Area between Rudesheim and Braubach. We ate the breakfast buffet so as not to miss any of the castles. But this was well worth missing a full breakfast for.

We for one throughly enjoyed our Viking Experience and will definitely be returning in the future. Others may have had complaints with Viking but we certainly were won over with their great service and fantastic crew.Well done Viking

LIer ~ thanks for the great review - we'll be on the Rhine in December and next October on the Forseti so I really enjoyed hearing about both!! Last year on the Neptune I felt the same way about the crew - they really worked, everyone doing everything!! And I think some people look for something to complain about!!!

But a question about the Colmar optional excursion - if I understand correctly the tour is when the ship's docked in Breisach - correct? Did thre Colmar excursion include wine tasting? Did you take the excursion? (I know I just have to wait to get our cruise package but SO anxious to know all about the trip beforehand! Annd I also know there may be some changed because of the Christmas Markets. But I want to know as much as possible!!)

Anything you can tell us about Basel?? Other ports?? Any restaurants/cafes/pubs you experienced??

Thanks much for anything else you can tell us!!!

FotoPeg- Thee Colmar excursion is done the afternoon that the ship is docked in Breisach. There are 2 excursions that afternoon. One is to the village of Colmar and one to the Colmar Pocket, A WWII Memorial Tour. We did the village tour.

There was a wine tasting tour the next day after lunch while the ship was docked in Strasbourg. We did not take this trip.

We flew into Basel 2 days before our cruise. Due to flight delays ( JFK NY ) we arrived at 6:00 PM. After checking into hotel we went to the city for dinner. Travel in Basel is easy with the tram system and it is free with pass from hotels. The next day we took a train to Lucerne and went to Mt. Pilatus in AM. Weather was great and had amazing views of the Alps. Lucerne is a beautiful city with plenty of attractions. People say Switzerland is expensive but being from New York the pubs we ate in seemed reasonable.

For information on Basel you can visit www.basel.com or send an e-mail to info@basel.com. They sent us a map and guide for hotels,restaurants and tour routes thru the city. What we did was go on the internet and enter all the stops the ship makes and most of the cities supplied us with maps and attractions.

On the Forseti they provided us with maps and the concierge on the Forseti was very helpful with information. Can't say enough about the crew of the Forseti. They made the whole trip .

Good luck on your future trips and don't worry it will be right around the corner.

Thank you tulok and LIer for sharing all this wonderful information.

I have a question about the Marksburg Castle day. We visited here last year on the vineyard and vistas cruise and loved it. We'll be returning on the Rhine Getaway in Oct and my husband is having some foot problems, so we likely won't go back to the Marksburg. Is the shipped docked in Braubach the whole time and is there much to explore there in lieu of Marksburg? I know last year the ship moved after they dropped us off. Some folks did stay onboard anyway but it would be nicer to be able to get off and explore.

Thanks for the great trip report. We are going on the same trip in May. I have a couple questions:

Did you use Viking's air or did you book your own? How far is Zurich airport from Basel. Wondering about hiring a car to take us from the airport to the ship.

Were you able to use your credit card in most ports? Would prefer using credit card than buying a lot of Euros and then not using them.

Thanks for your response.

LIer ~ thanks much for the info on Basel. I did contact the tourist center and have a map and brochures - but nothing beats personal comments!!

Being from Queens, I especially enjoyed your remark about "expensive"!!!! Also makes me feel a little better about all I've read about Switzerland!!! So often when we go places I've heard are "expensive" we laugh and say its just NYC (Manhattan) prices!!

And the info about Colmar is wonderful! Since our cruise is Christmas Markets I'm wondering if they'll be an optional tour to Colmar for the CM - photos of it look great! Do you remember the approximate costs of the optional tours? (Last year the ones on our cruise were about 49euro pp.)

Might be great if they offer both optionals - DH could "do" WWII and I could "do" CMs - perfect!!!!

Sorry to hear wine tasting is same afternoon of as Strasbourg - that's one CM I want to see!!!! Also have a suggested restaurant in the area!!!

Thanks for your help! I really enjoy all the advance planning and every little suggestion helps!!!

Tulok, how far is the dock in Amsterdam to the airport? We are not planning on buying Viking air and transfers. Just wondering what the earliest flight we can book home from Amsterdam. Also, how much was the taxi ride.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tulok, just thought of another question: We don't speak German or French, how challenging is it to get around Switzerland? Specifically, getting from airport to Basel? Thanks.

Tulok, how far is the dock in Amsterdam to the airport? We are not planning on buying Viking air and transfers. Just wondering what the earliest flight we can book home from Amsterdam. Also, how much was the taxi ride.

Taxi is about 40 euros and takes about 20 to 25 minutes.

Train (station is about a 3 minute walk from where boats dock) is a 15 minuted ride and costs 3 to 4 euros. Train drops you off right at airport.

TULOK - thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. It was very informative and definitely answered some other questions. I'll be sure to pack a deck of cards and maybe my little ipod speakers if I have room. Is there an ipod dock in the room?

There is not an ipod dock but lots of 110v outlets so you do not need converters to recharge.

I have a question about the Marksburg Castle day. We visited here last year on the vineyard and vistas cruise and loved it. We'll be returning on the Rhine Getaway in Oct and my husband is having some foot problems, so we likely won't go back to the Marksburg. Is the shipped docked in Braubach the whole time and is there much to explore there in lieu of Marksburg? I know last year the ship moved after they dropped us off. Some folks did stay onboard anyway but it would be nicer to be able to get off and explore.

People who did not go to the Marksburg Castle stayed on the ship as it left for Koblenz about 15 minutes after we left for the castle tour. The ship stayed in Koblenz until early the next morning

Thanks for the great trip report. We are going on the same trip in May. I have a couple questions:

Did you use Viking's air or did you book your own? How far is Zurich airport from Basel. Wondering about hiring a car to take us from the airport to the ship.

Were you able to use your credit card in most ports? Would prefer using credit card than buying a lot of Euros and then not using them.

Thanks for your response.

Hello Texas,

We did not use Viking air. I flew into DFW-FRA and my husband went from JFK-ZRH. The train is easy from both locations. Both train stations are in the airport, and it is a no change from both to BASEL SBB the train station you will need. The train ticket from ZRH to BASEL SBB was approx. 40. and is about a 40min train ride. You can get an advance ticket much cheaper. The train website is http://www.bahn.com and the ticket is good the entire day. I missed the first train and just took the second without a new ticket. The ticket just has the date and location that the ticket taker needs. There is a train from both locations about every hour.

I was able to use a Visa everywhere. No one even asked for the PIN except at the ATM of course. One time I was buying something for 15E and they asked if I had cash instead of card. I had a 50E and they preferred the cash. I am guessing because of the fees. We used both. We have a Capital One and they do not have an international fee with purchases. Otherwise check out the fees. Our different cards had a lot of ranges in fees.

As for the car to the ship. Once you get to the train station, there are taxis waiting. This is what we used to get to the ship. Some say the tram because it does take you close, but with luggage and to keep my DH from whining, it was worth the euros.

LIer ~ thanks much for the info on Basel. I did contact the tourist center and have a map and brochures - but nothing beats personal comments!!

Being from Queens, I especially enjoyed your remark about "expensive"!!!! Also makes me feel a little better about all I've read about Switzerland!!! So often when we go places I've heard are "expensive" we laugh and say its just NYC (Manhattan) prices!!

And the info about Colmar is wonderful! Since our cruise is Christmas Markets I'm wondering if they'll be an optional tour to Colmar for the CM - photos of it look great! Do you remember the approximate costs of the optional tours? (Last year the ones on our cruise were about 49euro pp.)

Might be great if they offer both optionals - DH could "do" WWII and I could "do" CMs - perfect!!!!

Sorry to hear wine tasting is same afternoon of as Strasbourg - that's one CM I want to see!!!! Also have a suggested restaurant in the area!!!

Thanks for your help! I really enjoy all the advance planning and every little suggestion helps!!!

the cost of the excursion to the village of Colmar was 34 Euros per person and the WWII tour was 39 Euros.

As we are up in the castle, the boat moves to a different port and we meet the boat there. I cant really remember Braubach as we were not there very long. It sails to Koblenz, and this is where we meet it. Koblenz is a nice town but it is a little walk to the town.

It was a good ways about 20mins. It was expensive but I think because we had 4 and a van. It was 65Euros. Probably much cheaper for a regular taxi, but you can share as they are putting times together 2 days before you get off the ship. We had some leave at 430a for their flight. Our flight was at 9am so we left the ship at 6a and had plenty of time. I believe it gets into AMS in the middle of the night. Not sure as I woke up to Amsterdam at 430a. They will have a small breakfast if you want to eat before you leave, starting at 4am.

Tulok, just thought of another question: We don't speak German or French, how challenging is it to get around Switzerland? Specifically, getting from airport to Basel? Thanks.

Should have read through, so sorry on the one-to-one responses.

We spoke a little German as our grandparents were from Germany, and a little French. I think it was easier for them to speak with us in English then our broken German. The older vendors didn't speak as well as the younger. We had a few vendors that spoke perfect English. The train was a surprise as the ticket taker on the train almost spoke no English and we used hand gestures to understand each other. It was never a problem anywhere.

A funny story was in Koblenz. We went souvenir shopping, and after we purchased a couple of bags we went to a little shop. The man came out yelling at us in German. And I mean yelling. I thought he was mad because we were bringing in bags into his shop. He kept saying stupid and other German words I am not sure if nice. Then he pointed at his 50%off sign. Took us around at pointed at his things like those we purchased and they were much cheaper. My sister and I started grabbing things and putting them on his desk to buy. He was very nice when we left. Our DHs had wished they would have got the whole thing on camera. We do also as he reminded us of our opa as he would have been mad if we spent more then needed also.

By the way, if you keep go over the train tracks (you have to, to get to town) and turn left. Stay on sidewalk to the little store. It has a 50% off sign in the window and a cute little German man that speaks no English.

Re-reading the iterary for this cruise.... the tour into the Black Forest and the stop at the cucko clock shop sounds somewhat, dare I say, touristy/tacky?! Was it?

I've heard both positive and negative comments regarding the optional tour to Colmar. Would like to hear other opinions.

Perhaps an option is staying in town in the morning vs the cucko tour (couldn't resist!) then taking the tour to Colmar in the afternoon. Sounds like doing both tours would be a very busy day.

Any thoughts any one that's been on this cruise?

I have enjoyed and appreciate all the information you have so kindly shared . Both reviews are great and have made me so excited about our upcoming Viking trip.

I am planning on taking my mini IPad on the trip to keep up with our famiky. Did either of you or anyone traveling with you use a tablet on the ship to keep in touch with famiky? Any input is appreciated!

Re-reading the iterary for this cruise.... the tour into the Black Forest and the stop at the cucko clock shop sounds somewhat, dare I say, touristy/tacky?! Was it?

I've heard both positive and negative comments regarding the optional tour to Colmar. Would like to hear other opinions.

Perhaps an option is staying in town in the morning vs the cucko tour (couldn't resist!) then taking the tour to Colmar in the afternoon. Sounds like doing both tours would be a very busy day.

Any thoughts any one that's been on this cruise?

Even though the Black Forest area is touristy, I loved hiking in the forest. If you like nature and enjoy being in a beautiful forest, you will enjoy it. There is a stream and waterfall along the walk.

You are not there long enough to be trapped. Plus you have time if you do not go on the other tours to enjoy the city. There is a nice church on the hill and next door is a little cafe that we had a couple of beers that overlooked the city. It was a very nice afternoon.

I have enjoyed and appreciate all the information you have so kindly shared . Both reviews are great and have made me so excited about our upcoming Viking trip.

I am planning on taking my mini IPad on the trip to keep up with our famiky. Did either of you or anyone traveling with you use a tablet on the ship to keep in touch with famiky? Any input is appreciated!

I had my kindle fire and my husband brought his Ipad mini and both worked fine, as well as my Iphone. We skyped the kids a couple of times, sometime without video some times it came through. It is not the strongest signal. If you go outside the third level to the bench, it has the best Skype access that is quiet. The 3rd level is where the wi/fi is located. Don't count on the computers as there are 2 and they usually have people at them. You can get a laptop, but I am not sure how many nor did I want to fool around with it on such a limited down-time schedule.

dcruiser ~ last year we were on the Neptune - one of Viking's oldest ships and I had no problem using my iphone to send e-mails in the lounge - we had no service in our room. Yes, the signal is often a problem when sailing but when we were in port it was fine for us! There were lap tops available for passengers to use - but I don't know how convenient to get one - most people were using phones or tablets!! (How the world has changed icon7.gif)

Archived