Back from Viking Forseti- Rhine Getaway

tulok

We thought the Colmar excursion was great - one of the best on the cruise and very glad we took it. You do have some "free time" to wander Colmar, so make sure you have a map of the town. We printed one out from GoogleMaps with some sights marked out that we saw on our own.

We took the excursion to the Black Forest, and the scenery was beautiful. The clock factory was touristy, but we weren't there very long. My husband loves clocks, and he enjoyed hearing about the history of the cuckoo clock as well as looking at the huge selection of clocks. The church is lovely, and the cafe had huge servings of Black Forest cake. We enjoyed this excursion much more than we expected to.

Thanks tulok - Did you take the Colmar tour? I seem to believe you did not.

Was Breisach a nice town to spend the afternoon after the Black Forest tour?

We did not go on the tour. We spent the afternoon in town. It is a nice town. A wonderful church to view, and plenty of small shops. Most where closed as we were there on a Sunday. We enjoyed walking around and you must see the church.

So, if we do the Black Forest tour and the Colmar excursion, will we have any time at all to visit Breisach?

Has anyone done both tour? Thoughts?

We did both tours,had dinner on the ship and then took a short walk into town. Being Sunday night most places were closed but there was a restaurant open as one reaches the town. There is St Stephans church at the top of the town. It was closed when we got there but it was lit up and gave a nice overview of the town. There was also a small park near the dock where the local town folk hung out and there was a small concession stand there .

dcruiser ~ last year we were on the Neptune - one of Viking's oldest ships and I had no problem using my iphone to send e-mails in the lounge - we had no service in our room. Yes, the signal is often a problem when sailing but when we were in port it was fine for us! There were lap tops available for passengers to use - but I don't know how convenient to get one - most people were using phones or tablets!! (How the world has changed icon7.gif)

Wondering if you could text on iPad with no fees?

We plan on using it for emailing. How do you send emails on yiPhone without getting roaming charges - do you keep it on airplane mode? I just don't want international charges!

If your ipad only has wifi service then you connect to the ship's wifi - or any place that has it - and there's no problem sending e-mails or using the internet. If you're some place with a pay service you'd have to OK that first so you know if wifi is free or costs money.

Last year I didn't arrange for international phone service so my iphone only worked with wifi - it was great since I couldn't pick up a cellular signal so I never had to worry about roaming charges - not sure if all smart phones work this way - we have iphones with Verizon as our carrier.

DH arranged for a plan - we thought one of us should have calling ability in case of an emergency - we did pre & post cruise on our own. It's a long story and worked out in the end but the Verizon rep messed up and we were getting messages during the trip about big bills - but, thankfully, all worked out!!

My suggestion - check with your carrier if you're not sure about your device - saves a lot of worrying! And if you have problems signing on in Europe - ask at your hotel desk or ship's reception desk. We also had fellow passengers helping one woman who had just bought an ipad a week before the cruise and didn't have time to go to the Apple store classes - she learned more while sailing then she ever would have at home!

I forgot to add that - at least on the iphone - its possible to turn off your cellular service and your wifi is still on - makes it easier not to worry about charges. In case you need to make a phone call it was easy to turn cellular back on - iphone/settings.

I'm no techy so I'm sorry if I didn't explain any of this correctly! All this I learned through trial and error!!!! And now I'm on to a tablet!!!!

FotoPeg- thanks for all the great info! You did a great job.

We both plan on leaving our cell phones (iPhone -Verizon carrier) home- or just taking one and leaving it off. Just have it if we had to make an emergency call. My iPad will be our way of communicating with family. Did you text on your iPad? Wondering if that is thru wifi and if that would be free?

But definitely we will send emails. I would love to be able to text though!

FotoPeg- thanks for all the great info! You did a great job.

We both plan on leaving our cell phones (iPhone -Verizon carrier) home- or just taking one and leaving it off. Just have it if we had to make an emergency call. My iPad will be our way of communicating with family. Did you text on your iPad? Wondering if that is thru wifi and if that would be free?

But definitely we will send emails. I would love to be able to text though!

ipads not made to text but there is an option to buy an app that will work if you have 3G connection capabilities. Do a quick google search "can you text on an ipad using wifi" and there will be lots of info for you or check your user manual.

ipads not made to text but there is an option to buy an app that will work if you have 3G connection capabilities. Do a quick google search "can you text on an ipad using wifi" and there will be lots of info for you or check your user manual.

I text all the time on my iPad- it seems to work only with those that have the same carrier - verizon-but I can text to anyone regardless of carrier on my iPhone. I will check out on google to find out how/ if I can text to those that have other carriers with my iPad

Thanks!

Great feed back from all of you. Has anyone taken this cruise in November (curious about weather - although I know that is variable!). Also, does informal mean blue jeans are acceptable? My husband and I are very informal people and this is our go to wear....

Great feed back from all of you. Has anyone taken this cruise in November (curious about weather - although I know that is variable!). Also, does informal mean blue jeans are acceptable? My husband and I are very informal people and this is our go to wear....

I dress respectfully for churches and other place of worship that we might visit, same for dinner but otherwise whose paying for the trip?

If you are comfortable in bj's then wear them. Do you think that you will be the only people in Amsterdam wearing them? I doubt it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hope folks are still hanging around and new Rhine Getaway folks are returning home and available to comment and add information!

First, my oldest post-retirement observation from a Barcelona/Venice 12-night cruise (just wonderful ports): just about crazy to listen to people who tell you how to dress (like a European) and to not look like a tourist! Tourists carry cameras and backpacks and travel around looking at maps? I still remember what the "typical" Italian looked like in Venice: canvas athletic shoes, jeans, and t-shirts (remember the popularity of the "I (heart) NYC" variety?). Dress for the climate/weather and your comfort. Cobblestones are threats to your ankles and your heads (if you have aging inner ears!). The best way to ruin any vacation is to fall and twist an ankle. We always wear the same sort of athletic shoes (with insole supports) that I wear to the gym for a treadmill walk. Security caution (also appropriate here?) is to inform currency conversion free of surcharge credit cards of your countries to be visited, obtain currency from bank ATM (Frankfort airport?), and consider using a money belt or neck pouch (as well as cabin wall safe?).

My own very personal judgement (not even shared by MDW): if you have the time, the expense and inconvenience of transatlantic travel should motivate you to plan other (perhaps less expensive) additional experiences (you are already there and not all travel is as expensive as in Switzerland). Considering river cruises and weather emergencies, we are starting with this week and adding about three more, so if the Rhine is problematic, will also carry home other positive experiences. We have never taken a cruise where we both fly in on departure day and fly home on the day the last port is reached. (I mean, who would travel to Amsterdam as a novice and not spend time there? Amsterdam is at least good for 3 or 4 days (two years ago we rented a downstairs flat on the Prinsengracht canal walking distance from museumplein -- even enjoyed grocery shopping and making breakfast "at home" and taking a couple of cold dinners in when we needed the rest). Was absolutely amazed at people who scheduled a flight in to Barcelona just to make the ship when they had never visited the city and had the same view of Venice (Venice!! I spent weeks with a detailed map and a tour book in eager preparation and selected a really workable hotel and transportation and museum passes as well). Have learned from Cruise Critic (somewhat less from TripAdvisor) that travel planning can be fun if you have the inclination and time (and the internet)!

Docking in Amsterdam, I understand is at or near the cruise ship terminal which is just behind Amsterdam Centraal (main train station). There are constant trains to Schiphol. Our thought is after our Norwegian ocean cruise (after our Viking cruise and six days in Belgium) we will probably take a taxi to the train station and leave our luggage at the airport hotel where we will sleep that night and spend the remainder of the day on a leisurely visit to an other Dutch town yet to be determined.

My questions: What is the optional Colmar tour about and how many went? Beyond bus travel and pay for a local guide what justifies a 30+ euro/person charge (maybe for 40-60 people?) (although time in France sounds good)? My background is in comparing cruise line excursions to those self-arranged, and in larger cities Cruise Critic often provides hints at tour companies or individual drivers that, when 3 or 4 couples join together, results in a wonderful personalized experience.

My second question is the locations where free time is available (i.e. where do you return to the boat?) and some notion of the amount of free time (# hours before dinner at X time, or # of daylight hours after dinner), please consider we will cruise 13-20 June, so we will have some extended daylight after dinner (some of the longest days of the year).

To facilitate this, below I've put together what I think is an itinerary that works both north and south and I assume "free time" will just be 3-4 hours after lunch (unless you chose not to have lunch onboard? yes?). For example, I have read elsewhere that at Cologne some people "go off" for a pub crawl to sample beers (not our thing). We've just received maps of Cologne and if we know where our boat will be and the time, we will choose a museum to visit (maybe others will join?). My hope is to eventually make Cruise Critic Roll Calls for river cruises actually functional and such "on your own" experiences can be planned among several couples who will then meet on board? Hope to use this information to determine the towns etc. that need the most pre-vacation research.

BASIC BASEL/AMSTERDAM ITINERARY (VIKING) [Feel free to copy and paste below in your own reply -- with any corrections please!)

(1) BASEL: leave before dinner (onboard flexible, could include lunch -- could be as late as 4pm?). Anyone have name of dock used? We expect significant jet lag day before as arrive at Basel airport. Have reserved (with upgrade and discounted breakfast at Hotel D -- walking distance to old town, described as new construction with modern baths, etc.) Transport options from airport?

(2) BREISACH: am blackforest; afternoon open? Colmar optional tour (transport to France, time, options) versus time in Breisach (museum, etc.)? Boat stationary or on the move after dinner? (same question for below:)

(3) STRASBOURG: am tour, then lunch. Time in Kehl? Rudesheim overnight? Time in Rudesheim after dinner?

(4) MANNHEIM/HEIDELBERG: am tour of Heidelberg? Time (where/how much) after lunch?

(5) Scenic views of castles during cruise (up early); BRAUBACH (for Marksburg castle tour). Free time or after lunch (KOBLENZ)? After dinner?

(6) COLOGNE: (arrive about where late morning?) when walking tour? return to boat for lunch? free time after lunch to take in a museum? Time after dinner?

(7) KINDERDIJK: limited options, rest/pack [light bag for train travel; other deposited at Amsterdam Centraal]

(8) AMSTERDAM: to train station after breakfast (share van with others?)

All information/opinions most appreciated. Agree to stay away from those stormy complainers! (Plan ahead to overcome many possible problems etc. -- if you want something and don't ask for it, etc.!)

DJ:)

iN RETIREMENT:

I am going on this itinerary Oct 5 of this year. The following is some info from the info that Viking sends you before the cruise:

Colmar tour consists of a short guided tour followed by free time to shop or explore (my research shows that most shops etc are closed on Sunday- so may not be a good time to go) Cost is 39 euros. Alternate tour is a WW2 memorial excusion that goes to the Pocket memorial museum in Colmar and the American museum in Sigolsheim with a visit to Audie Murphy memorial. Cost is 38 euros which includes admission fees. (As a Canuck this does not interest me at all)

Basel- usually docks at Dreilandereck but occasionally at Uferstrasse ( ship's dock is determined when it arrives by harbour master) Go to Basel forum on Trip Advisor and all transportation questions are answered there in detail. Most people take bus from airport to train station and then taxi/tram to hotel. Ship does not leave Basel until the evening. Can't get into rooms until about 3pm but can leave luggage earlier and have lunch. Keep in mind sometimes due to high water ship cannot make it to Basel and you must go to Breisach to board (viking provided bus transport)

Breisach- Colmar trips start after lunch. Go to Breisach tourist site and have them send you a map of their downtown area- includes a self-guided walking tour. Ship doesn't leave until midnight.

Strasbourg- am tour, optional afternoon wine tour into Alsace wine area cost49 euro. Kehl and S are connected by bridges, a lot of people stay in S for lunch particularly in the Petit France area. You do not go to Rudesheim this day.

Mannheim/Heidelberg/Rudesheim. Castle in am, some free time before lunch in H, afternoon cruise to Rudesheim where boat stays until early morning.

Braubach/Koblenz- crusing in am, Marksburg in am, Koblenz afternoon and evening.

Cologne- am tour, rest of day and evening free. Beer cultural tour in evening 39 euros.

Not sure why you would take a van to train station. it is about 5 minutes from where ships dock or there is a tram.

Hopefully after my return, I can fill in a lot more info!

Will go over details tomorrow and will greatly appreciate your details upon return (new thread this forum or to balticports@yahoo.com).

Obviously I need to read Viking website again re Rudesheim?

My comment regarding van from Viking boat to Amsterdam train station is for people with more than one small suitcase. I remember arrival in Amsterdam from Schiphol took train and began to walk out of station, saw there was no simple sidewalk and went in to get a taxi. Don't know about a tram? Hope you'll let me know.

As for Basel, our cruise leaves 13 June, we arrive 1pm 12 June and anticipate substantial jet lag (seems just to get worse as I age). Good to anticipate and get a good night's sleep (if necessary) with night starting early after a great shower. Have a reservation at Hotel D (not that much more than around train station) because its new, guaranteed functional air conditioning, new very attractive baths, and we can easily have a buffet breakfast last until dinner on the boat. If am together, city center/cathedral is easy walk (now have tourist map from Basel). If next morning is first look at city, will take my time going to boat. Obviously need to figure out how to know if boat is in Basel? Guess I'll also email Viking with my hotel details, so a message could be waiting if there is a problem? Really interested in your opinion of how "together" Viking appears to be? People tend to say, this year was a weather disaster, not to be repeated next year -- but people in Oklahoma were saying that after a horrible storm in Oklahoma City, but another one reappeared just days later as a world record for size of a tornado, so a reasonable plan is always good.

Thanks again,

Apparently from what I read by another poster, they have someone stationed at the docks to put people on a bus, should that be necessary, Sometime the bus will go straight to Breisach and sometimes to Basel airport to pick up people flying in day of.

I am staying in Lucerne and plan to make sure they have my cell, my email and the number of the hotel,

Apparently from what I read by another poster, they have someone stationed at the docks to put people on a bus, should that be necessary, Sometime the bus will go straight to Breisach and sometimes to Basel airport to pick up people flying in day of.

I am staying in Lucerne and plan to make sure they have my cell, my email and the number of the hotel,

Haven't read anymore about high water on the Rhine or the Danube, so you may be AOK? Do enjoy Lucerne and hope that you truly enjoy each day of this Basel/Amsterdam adventure. I think that when Viking isn't dealing with an unexpected natural disaster, it does pretty well. Hope nexxt week to start some discussion with someone meaningful in California -- have noticed that Viking is running ads on Cruise Critic and has demonstrated some interest in listening to its past passengers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived