Port of Cape Liberty Upgrade

As an outsider looking in I can tell you the current port is unfriendly, inefficient, slow and a horrific experience compared to cruise terminals who do the job properly.

Henry

I guess I must have been very lucky in my experience at the port. I can tell you that it was friendly, efficient, fast and a great experience. Edited by roe2ship

I wasn't criticising you for arriving when you did, just saying that at that hour of the day your experience wouldn't have been typical for the bulk of the guests who arrive considerably later than 10.30am.

You played the system and won.

Henry :)

No problem Henry. I can only share my own experiences. In any event, in about a year or so they should have a brand new port in place. I am sure that it will be a lot more efficient than what is in place now.

Nope... no construction at the port yet. Someone said in an earlier post that they heard someone had driven out there last weekend and there was absolutely no construction started not even a coming soon sign. Its hard to imagine RCI will have the port completed by Quantum's launch next November.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
10.30 is very early and way before suggested arrival time for embarking guests. I don't think you can use that as a measure. Try arriving from mid day onwards when you are told to turn up.

Henry :)

10:30 is hardly "very early" at any port terminal we have experienced and few, if any, knowledgeable cruises wait until the "suggested arrival time" to get to the ship. We have usually checked in and boarded the ship and hour or more before that "suggested time". If you try arriving from mid day onwards, be prepared for crowds and lengthy lines.:)

Sailing out of Galveston TX the 1st & 8th of Dec on the Navigator of the Seas was also a little troublesome. A majority of the passengers drove to the port and filled the ship. It is good for RCL to have ports people can drive to and make many cruises. We only had a problem because the terminal is quite small and on our "in transit" a real problem happened because a person got off the ship then returned using the old card. Held up everyone until he was found and checked off the ship before anyone else could board. This port has a lot of B2B, B2B passengers. They are hoping to enlarge it and bring in on of the Freedom Class ships.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

Just got off the Explorer and no real signs of any construction happening.....there is one spot we thought could be it...but it's so far away from the ship it's hard to say if that will be the terminal or not. Hope the get Extreme Makeover "Cruise Terminal" edition to build it...10 months isn't very long........

Just got off the Explorer and no real signs of any construction happening.....there is one spot we thought could be it...but it's so far away from the ship it's hard to say if that will be the terminal or not. Hope the get Extreme Makeover "Cruise Terminal" edition to build it...10 months isn't very long........

The spot that you saw was the site for the new parking deck, less than 1000 ft from the ship. That existing site had an existing building on it and it was demolished. The terminal will be Similar to your big box stores, "Tilt Up Construction" which is a rather quick type of a construction process.

Do you know what the best thing would be for this?

A ferry from Manhattan - directly to the departing ship dock - so that you do not have to go by car, or by public service - you can catch a ferry directly

of course that is just a pipe dream

Great idea!!

Do you know what the best thing would be for this?

A ferry from Manhattan - directly to the departing ship dock - so that you do not have to go by car, or by public service - you can catch a ferry directly

of course that is just a pipe dream

That is actually a great idea and not one that is too far fetched. Everyone knows New Yorkers don't drive and love public transit so I'm sure a ferry would be hugely popular for them. In Florida I know you can take a water taxi to the cruise ships in Ft. Lauderdale so this isn't too far off from that. NY Harbor already has how many different ferries running. Maybe they could get the Governors Island Ferry to run occasional stops over to the tear drop monument on Cape Liberty which could act as a way of getting to the port.

The spot that you saw was the site for the new parking deck, less than 1000 ft from the ship. That existing site had an existing building on it and it was demolished. The terminal will be Similar to your big box stores, "Tilt Up Construction" which is a rather quick type of a construction process.

Picture of the new site of the parking Deck as of December 2,2013

image.jpg.074cb46923b97d1b940d909682b13e04.jpg

Guest maddycat
Picture of the new site of the parking Deck as of December 2,2013

Thanks for the picture. It's nice to see that they have actually started construction on the parking garage.

@DEIx15x8 and

@swim13

Thank you both for your positive feedback.

It is not exactly rocket science as such, they have all the existing infrastructure in place all they need to do put a boat to do the service...i mean i would be more then happy to play $20 for a on way ticket, and it would be way more direction - right to the ship and it would reduce congestions, especially for long distance travelers.