Cartagena, Colombia - Excursion advice?

kfleck76

We will be going on our first Panama Canal cruise with Royal Caribbean in Nov. 2013. We're looking at to different excursions in Cartagena. Can anyone offer up any information on Medieval Cartagena by a horse Drawn Carriage or City Drive, Shopping and Inquisition Palace? Looking for any advice, opinions, etc. we like the sound of both, but can't decide. Specifically for the horse drawn carriage, what all do you see? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We took a private tour with Lee Miles.

Our guide gave us a walking tour of the colonial part of town after we went up to the top of the mountian to see the church , which I cannot remember the name of now. Beautiful colonial monastery originally. Great views from here.

It is a beautiful city especiallly the colonial area. Bought panama hats, saw lots of house drawn carriages around the main square and in this area, another way to see this part of town. We went also to the Emeral Museum, which was fascinating. bought Emeral ring and really good cofffee.

the inquistion museum is in my opinon not worth going to. there was never really an inquistion in Columbia, and I did not want see methods of torture while I was in such a beautiful city.

the whole tour lasted about 4hours.

have a great cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone offer up any information on Medieval Cartagena by a horse Drawn Carriage or City Drive, Shopping and Inquisition Palace? Looking for any advice, opinions, etc. we like the sound of both, but can't decide. Specifically for the horse drawn carriage, what all do you see? Thanks!

Kfleck76:

I would urge you and everyone else reading this to avoid the horse-drawn carriage tour. Not because it’s a bad tour (I have no idea of the content and/or quality of the tour), but because of their abuse of the horses. We were on a walking tour of Cartagena this April and encountered the ship’s carriage tour – 20+ carriages in a row. Right in front of us a horse collapsed in obvious distress. (See photo on page 3 of the attached file.) They unhooked the horse from its traces and three or four of the carriage drivers pushed/pulled the poor beast to its feet (hooves ? ) and whipped it back into the line.

Cartagena is a wonderful city, a must-see stop on a Panama Canal cruise. It’s relatively compact so you can see most sights in a moderate walk. If you can’t walk, take the Segway tour. My advice is to think twice about financially supporting those who abuse their animals.

Cartagena.pdf

Kfleck76:

I would urge you and everyone else reading this to avoid the horse-drawn carriage tour. Not because it’s a bad tour (I have no idea of the content and/or quality of the tour), but because of their abuse of the horses. We were on a walking tour of Cartagena this April and encountered the ship’s carriage tour – 20+ carriages in a row. Right in front of us a horse collapsed in obvious distress. (See photo on page 3 of the attached file.) They unhooked the horse from its traces and three or four of the carriage drivers pushed/pulled the poor beast to its feet (hooves ? ) and whipped it back into the line.

Cartagena is a wonderful city, a must-see stop on a Panama Canal cruise. It’s relatively compact so you can see most sights in a moderate walk. If you can’t walk, take the Segway tour. My advice is to think twice about financially supporting those who abuse their animals.

:rolleyes:

Kfleck76:

I was about to say the same thing! To the OP, please consider the treatment of animals when considering your excursions. Logistically, I'm not sure the carriages could fit in some of the areas that you may want to see.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the information regarding the Horse Drawn Carriage.

I had booked it but will be canceling it.

I was in Cartagena last year and did the full Day tour so thought the Carriage would be fun. I wont support abuse of any kind. So again thank you for sharing.

I really enjoyed my time there so will find something different to do.

J

Kfleck76:

Absolutely agree!:mad:

Archived