Adonia concerns

yorkshire1975

Am thinking of the Baltic in October but have read some not so great reviews for this ship. Still new to cruising. I know with some reviews there is just no pleasing some people but just though I would check it out, also is it only formal dining as some review made comment about the buffet never opening??

Hi Yorkshire1975 and a belated welcome to CC. I loved Adonia but I found it more upmarket and slightly more formal than the other P&O Cruises ships, hence the slightly higher prices. Half the buffet became Sorrento in the evening, the other half was themed but as I recall was open every night. The entertainment is more limited due to there only being the one showlounge and the syndicate quiz was in the buffet, but otherwise I loved her.

Edited by Host Sharon

Take a look at some reviews of ships you've been on and liked. You'll find some pretty rotten reviews of them as well. It's partly that what some people like is what others dislike, and partly that some people tend to be complainers while others are look-on-the-bright-siders.

Hi, we absolutely loved Adonia but have to agree with Sharon regarding limited entertainment due to only one showlounge. However this did not bother us as we prefer a quiet drink after dinner.The buffet is not open every evening,only for themed nights. We dined in Sorrento and it was delightful. Would go on this ship again in a heartbeat, but as others have said, it is horses for courses.

Just back from the July Baltic cruise on Adonia

The buffet is separate from Sorrento. Sorrento opened most but not all nights - it didn't open when there was a theme night in the buffet (Indian, Asian etc)

Ocean Grill open every night I think

Only food disappointment was on the overnight St Petersburg night - we came back to the ship at close to 11pm not having had a meal and went to the late evening buffet - it was full of stodgy pizza and salad with nothing special for those who had missed their meal. By that time room service was closed - probably the only night on a cruise I have gone to bed hungry!!

I loved this cruise though not a lot to do on sea days. Adonia is a lovely ship and as it is a bit smaller it had the added benefit of going very far up in the river in St Petersburg and going through the Kiel canal which was a lovely experience

Edited by gadabout60

• 3 months later...
Hi Yorkshire1975 and a belated welcome to CC. I loved Adonia but I found it more upmarket and slightly more formal than the other P&O Cruises ships, hence the slightly higher prices. Half the buffet became Sorrento in the evening, the other half was themed but as I recall was open every night. The entertainment is more limited due to there only being the one showlounge and the syndicate quiz was in the buffet, but otherwise I loved her.

Good Information on the Adonia...Thanks. :):):):)