When does embarkation take place?

wwb

We will be embarking the Zaandam in Buenos Aires and then have an overnight. When can we embark, and what is the usual window of time to embark? I am trying to plan tours in BA and also allow time for check-in.

Thank you,

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I'm on same cruise. There is a bit of information on this HAL website page: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetailsPort.action?destCode=S&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=AA&durationCode=&dateCode=1_2014&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=X411#

Just scroll down about 2/3's of the page to the embarkation section of the page.

From past experience embarkation can start later depending on how smoothly disembarkation went, if there are issues with port authorities, or local crew not very competent. I've hit all three problems in the past.

I think I read elsewhere that 11:30 am was recommended arrival time.

I wouldn't bother being there at 11:30 with the mob of early boarders. We had a horrendous experience in April boarding in San Diego. HAL had contacted some hotels (including where we stayed) to say not to show up until 1:00. We waited until 1:30 and stood in line for over an hour just to get inside the terminal.

Thankfully, that was the exception. One of the smoothest boardings we had was in Montreal. We did a city tour that morning, arrived at the port around 1:30 and just walked right through.

If you don't mind missing the "Mariners" lunch, I really prefer boarding a bit after noon. Sometimes we don't even hit the Lido. Since our cruise "starts" at 6 PM, I would think you can board anytime until 4:00 safely, possibly even until 5:00.

I wouldn't bother being there at 11:30 with the mob of early boarders. We had a horrendous experience in April boarding in San Diego. HAL had contacted some hotels (including where we stayed) to say not to show up until 1:00. We waited until 1:30 and stood in line for over an hour just to get inside the terminal.

Thankfully, that was the exception. One of the smoothest boardings we had was in Montreal. We did a city tour that morning, arrived at the port around 1:30 and just walked right through.

If you don't mind missing the "Mariners" lunch, I really prefer boarding a bit after noon. Sometimes we don't even hit the Lido. Since our cruise "starts" at 6 PM, I would think you can board anytime until 4:00 safely, possibly even until 5:00.

Our cruise actually departs the next day at 6 pm so you could conceivably

arrive anytime. My hotel has a 10am check-out that day so I've arranged hotel pick-up at 11:30 am rather than sit around the lobby forever. I'll be an optimist and hope HAL will have things well arranged.

Archived